Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 04:57 PM

Any Advice on a Failing Windows Laptop Battery?

I have a Windows Laptop, running Windows 10. Its refurbished which might account for the failing battery, but its getting beyond a joke now. I am not running any other programs, or tabs...the CPU is not showing any ulterior usage, and all apps aren't using any power. I have battery saver switched on, brightness is medium, yet I have to almost keep the thing on permanent charge. For example, the battery was at 100% before writing this post, took it off charge....and now its at 91%

So....is there a way of replacing a Windows battery with a new one? Am I doing any damage by keeping it on almost permanent charge?

There is one thing I am guilty of, and that is simply closing the lid and letting it go to sleep. I hardly ever restart it or manually shut it down unless its for an update. Is this doing more harm than good?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 05:07 PM

Re: Any Advice on a Failing Windows Laptop Battery?

Laptop batteries are readily available, e.g. :

https://www.duracelldirect.co.uk/lap...r-charger.html

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/ct/p...ptop-batteries

I use my old laptop on mains power so take advice from other users about which battery to get .....
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 05:10 PM

You should be able to replace the battery - I did for one of mine some years ago, think it cost around £25, but of course they could be a lot more now.

I have the same habit, you know, just closing the lid and letting it sleep . I know I shouldn't but it's what I've done for years, cos I hate having to wait for it to boot up.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Laptop batteries are readily available, e.g. :

https://www.duracelldirect.co.uk/lap...r-charger.html

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/ct/p...ptop-batteries

I use my old laptop on mains power so take advice from other users about which battery to get .....
Thanks Omah! I'm having at look at these right now.....are they easy to replace physically? Having looked at the bottom of my laptop, I have no idea how to get into it. I could look on Youtube I suppose. I'm surprised at how cheap they are, I thought they would be much more than that!
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

25-06-2021, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
You should be able to replace the battery - I did for one of mine some years ago, think it cost around £25, but of course they could be a lot more now.

I have the same habit, you know, just closing the lid and letting it sleep . I know I shouldn't but it's what I've done for years, cos I hate having to wait for it to boot up.
Thats why I just let mind sleep too, Sheba! I could go and make tea and go to the loo before it all boots up and settles down Far easier to press the button and be ready to go!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Thanks Omah! I'm having at look at these right now.....are they easy to replace physically? Having looked at the bottom of my laptop, I have no idea how to get into it. I could look on Youtube I suppose. I'm surprised at how cheap they are, I thought they would be much more than that!
The batteries are very simple to replace - you will probably find video instructions for your laptop on google

Look before you leap .....
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

25-06-2021, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
The batteries are very simple to replace - you will probably find video instructions for your laptop on google

Look before you leap .....
Oh good heavens, yes....I am not a leaper by any stretch of the imagination...more of a creeper than a leaper really!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 07:02 PM

You have to be aware that it's a good idea to run laptops on their batteries only once in a while, and make sure that the battery is almost flat before charging it again. Running on the mains with the battery plugged in shortens the life of the battery.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
I have a Windows Laptop, running Windows 10. Its refurbished which might account for the failing battery, but its getting beyond a joke now. I am not running any other programs, or tabs...the CPU is not showing any ulterior usage, and all apps aren't using any power. I have battery saver switched on, brightness is medium, yet I have to almost keep the thing on permanent charge. For example, the battery was at 100% before writing this post, took it off charge....and now its at 91%

So....is there a way of replacing a Windows battery with a new one? Am I doing any damage by keeping it on almost permanent charge?

There is one thing I am guilty of, and that is simply closing the lid and letting it go to sleep. I hardly ever restart it or manually shut it down unless its for an update. Is this doing more harm than good?
How long have you had this laptop?

Maybe there should be a free replacement if it's only been with you for a short while.

Even refurbished often have warranty.

Otherwise, a couple of screws on the laptop bottom and it , probably, just pushes in.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

25-06-2021, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
You have to be aware that it's a good idea to run laptops on their batteries only once in a while, and make sure that the battery is almost flat before charging it again. Running on the mains with the battery plugged in shortens the life of the battery.
So if I run it only once in a while just on battery power, its a bad thing, and if I run it on mains power, its a bad thing too? How am I supposed to use it?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top