Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2021, 06:57 AM

Re: Salads

It annoys me when eating out that restaurants and cafes feel obliged to stick a lump of lettuce at the side of anything on order - sandwiches, roasts, macaroni cheese etc. It seems to be used as a plate filler everywhere now. If I wanted a salad I'd ask for one.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2021, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I'm no great salad lover. I don't mind a bit of salad as a garnish to make a proper meal look nice but I really don't enjoy it that much.

Today, after watching Scary Mary make one of her 'Super summer salads' I thought I would have ago at it and who knows? maybe even start to eat more healthily. It wasn't anything difficult; Cooked asparagus and broad beans (cooled) and served on Little gem lettuce (plus I added some pea shoots.), sliced fresh figs and goats cheese drizzled with a honey & Mustard dressing.

It was actually very nice and we both enjoyed it but that was an hour ago, now I'm feeling hungrier than I did before I ate it. I would kill for an Indian or a deep pan pizza & chips.
I watched that too LD....but who has time to skin a broad bean? I don't like figs so not for me....glad you like it though.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2021, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
It annoys me when eating out that restaurants and cafes feel obliged to stick a lump of lettuce at the side of anything on order - sandwiches, roasts, macaroni cheese etc. It seems to be used as a plate filler everywhere now. If I wanted a salad I'd ask for one.
This reminded me of the ready made salad bowls I used to get. What a waste of money! Top layer looked nice and varied, yet underneath was practically stalk city! Great lumps of inedible ends just to make it look full. Rather make my own.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2021, 09:55 AM

I loathe that too - especially when they dump cold salad on hot food!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2021, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
This reminded me of the ready made salad bowls I used to get. What a waste of money! Top layer looked nice and varied, yet underneath was practically stalk city! Great lumps of inedible ends just to make it look full. Rather make my own.
Oh yes that is so annoying! Like rabbit food.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2021, 09:44 PM

Too right eccles.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2021, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I watched that too LD....but who has time to skin a broad bean? I don't like figs so not for me....glad you like it though.
Luckily, Sainsbury's were out of fresh broad beans so I bought tinned. Much easier.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2021, 09:50 PM

That's how I learned to make Salads interesting, at one time it was just a boring plate of a lettuce leaf, sliced tomato, slices of cucumber, some spring onion with a slice of meat, so boring.

Since I embarked on my healthy eating plan I make my salads very interesting, I chop my salads now and throw all sorts of beans, nuts and seeds in and I drizzle with oil, dash of mint sauce, garlic, herbs and spices. These days I eat tons of salad and it looks so pleasing on my plate, my husband regularly asks if we are having salad and my dad loves them too.

Healthy, appetizing, filling and enjoyable, has to be a winner every time. Glad you discovered the joys of salad, you will be experimenting all the time now I bet like I do xx
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2021, 09:50 PM

When we have hot days..
Salads are great
With new potatoes and salad cream!

Yum
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2021, 01:54 AM

I like salad, as Lion Queen has said I chop my lettuce now add watercress tomatoes, cucumber, onion spring or red, balsamic dressing, then add capers, sweet peppers, green olives all from jars so they last a few salads. Then add either boiled egg, ham, tinned salmon (whatever is to hand) in the way of a Sunday roast joint. I add rice and cold new potato as well in fact making myself hungry now.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top