Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 04:22 PM

Wild roses

They are looking good this year. I pruned them right back a few years ago but they are back with a vengeance now..

While in the garden, here are the plants in the polytunnel looking a bit wild as well. I like it like that though..

Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 04:42 PM

Re: Wild roses

Wonderful !
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 05:04 PM

Wow! Beautiful roses.
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France
DianneWoollie is female  DianneWoollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
They are looking good this year. I pruned them right back a few years ago but they are back with a vengeance now..

While in the garden, here are the plants in the polytunnel looking a bit wild as well. I like it like that though..

How did you secure your Plastic Greenhouse Mart around the Base..We lost one like that a couple of years ago in a Storm here..was a violent one..

We have bought a kit one now with plastic panes and for the life we cannot get it to fit together...realise it needs to be perfectly square.

At least with the plastic ones they are user friendly to put up.just interested in the base that needs to be held down securely.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by DianneWoollie ->
How did you secure your Plastic Greenhouse Mart around the Base..We lost one like that a couple of years ago in a Storm here..was a violent one..

We have bought a kit one now with plastic panes and for the life we cannot get it to fit together...realise it needs to be perfectly square.

At least with the plastic ones they are user friendly to put up.just interested in the base that needs to be held down securely.
Instead of digging the plastic into the earth, I pulled it in under the frame and put a row of house bricks on top of it. It had withstood some high winds this way. It also keeps the frame off the earth. I hope that might make it last a bit longer..

What also helps is bracing the sides up a bit with a bamboo cane frame. This stops the sides from billowing out so much..

Something about greenhouses with plastic panes, going by what I see happen over on the allotment when there is a high wind. The panes, being somewhat flexible, can bend and blow out of the frames. They don't break but the owners end up touring the allotment to find the panes and put them back in.

This might only happen because the allotment is a large open space. It might not happen in a garden where there is probably less space for wind gusts to build up.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 08:40 PM

Very pretty roses, Mart.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 08:46 PM

Beautiful roses, Mart
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

01-07-2021, 09:20 PM

They are nice but because they weave in and out of the rest of the greenery, the thorns are always out to get me when I do a bit of trimming up. This was why I cut it right back a few years ago.

Oh well, it looks good so I suppose I'll put up with getting scratched. I tend to let things grow much wilder now than a few years ago anyway. It's said to be good for the environment ..and it's easier for me.
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France
DianneWoollie is female  DianneWoollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Instead of digging the plastic into the earth, I pulled it in under the frame and put a row of house bricks on top of it. It had withstood some high winds this way. It also keeps the frame off the earth. I hope that might make it last a bit longer..

What also helps is bracing the sides up a bit with a bamboo cane frame. This stops the sides from billowing out so much..

Something about greenhouses with plastic panes, going by what I see happen over on the allotment when there is a high wind. The panes, being somewhat flexible, can bend and blow out of the frames. They don't break but the owners end up touring the allotment to find the panes and put them back in.

This might only happen because the allotment is a large open space. It might not happen in a garden where there is probably less space for wind gusts to build up.
That was really interesting and we had some long wood to hold it down but obviously not enough weight.....good advice thanks for that info...
macywack
north west, england
macywack is male  macywack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2021, 07:48 AM

love the wild roses, maybe i shouldn't be cutting mine back each year

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top