Join for free
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 12:24 AM

Hedgehog in my garden

Have just been in the garden to let the dog out and check on the several hundred snails and slugs ( I’m not kidding ) chomping on my plants .Some of those slugs are like mini whales ! I have had the village expert gardener come around and his solution to this problem is simple - only plant plants that slugs and snails don’t like . Ie They hate geraniums and it’s true they never touch them . I am going to take his advice and this means I must stop being temped by plants every time I go to the supermarket as the slugs / snails think this is their local deli.
Anyway Mungo disappeared around the back and didn’t come back so I went to see what he was up too and found him laid down eyeballing a hedgehog but not quite knowing what to do about it .The hedgehog was fine and I am happy to see one back in my garden haven't seen one for so long . Hope he comes back and and brings some mates for slug feasting I also gave him some dog food ( gotta to encourage the little fellow)
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 05:07 AM

Re: Hedgehog in my garden

Hedgehogs are lovely aren't they...I had one in the garden at my last house I hope he is OK. I've not seen any here. Its true slugs and snails don't eat geraniums they love petunias and nasturtiums oh and hostas...they really love hostas. I never found a solution to them my neighbour put coffee grinds around the garden....might be worth a try.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Hedgehogs are lovely aren't they...I had one in the garden at my last house I hope he is OK. I've not seen any here. Its true slugs and snails don't eat geraniums they love petunias and nasturtiums oh and hostas...they really love hostas. I never found a solution to them my neighbour put coffee grinds around the garden....might be worth a try.
Hi

I would love a pair of hedgehogs in my garden.
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France
DianneWoollie is female  DianneWoollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 10:16 AM

Husband made the Hedgehog House, best to make the entry as small as you can to keep out predators..

We are lucky to have always had Hedgehogs in our Garden..best time to see ours is just as it starting to get dark...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 10:20 AM

You are lucky Muddy, I've always liked hedgehogs and their hedgehog numbers are declining so rapidly.

Watch for fleas and ticks getting onto Mungo though, as hedgehogs are often full of 'em.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Have just been in the garden to let the dog out and check on the several hundred snails and slugs ( I’m not kidding ) chomping on my plants .Some of those slugs are like mini whales ! I have had the village expert gardener come around and his solution to this problem is simple - only plant plants that slugs and snails don’t like . Ie They hate geraniums and it’s true they never touch them . I am going to take his advice and this means I must stop being temped by plants every time I go to the supermarket as the slugs / snails think this is their local deli.
Anyway Mungo disappeared around the back and didn’t come back so I went to see what he was up too and found him laid down eyeballing a hedgehog but not quite knowing what to do about it .The hedgehog was fine and I am happy to see one back in my garden haven't seen one for so long . Hope he comes back and and brings some mates for slug feasting I also gave him some dog food ( gotta to encourage the little fellow)
Perhaps he's the answer to your snail problem Muddy ??
As you say, may be he will bring some mates around ?😄

Donkeyman! 👍😄👍
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
You are lucky Muddy, I've always liked hedgehogs and their hedgehog numbers are declining so rapidly.

Watch for fleas and ticks getting onto Mungo though, as hedgehogs are often full of 'em.

I was about to say that, then saw your post.
Do check your dog Muddy, they can jump quite a distance.
Our old Collie was fascinated by hedgehogs & used to follow them around the garden, we were always having to treat her for ticks in Summer.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 12:05 PM

I Frontlined him only last week .
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I Frontlined him only last week .

Did you frontline yourself Muddy ??
just asking !!

Donkeyman! 👍🤗👍
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 05:19 PM

I love hedgehogs', we used to see them at night in the garden..or walking up our street, there's an old railway line at the bottom of our street , I think that's where they came from. haven't seen any for a while though

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top