Join for free
Page 7 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 04:51 PM

Re: malware

I think the only thing I really might have a problem with is iTunes which I need to back up all the phones and tablets in the house

I will be keeping Windows though so will use that if I have to
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
LibreOffice.
Thunderbird.
Firefox.
Rythmbox.
Media Player.
Font viewer.
Image viewer.
Gimp.
Pix.
Screenshot.

Chromium (browser).
Amarok (music program).
Skype.
Inkscape (good for making greetings cards, scalable images etc.).
Simple Scan.
Steam Games (many Linux compatible games are now available).
Kpatience (Solitaire with a good graphical interface).
The above would be useful.

As for whether it works, well, if it doesn't it's no problem as it's really just an experiment.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Hi Pesta!

The one included in the malwarebytes package is the standard offering and works well.

The downloadable one is a Beta version which means that it has new advanced coding but has nor yet been fully tested in the big world.

Soon, the Beta version replace the current version - as long as the Beta has no problems in field trials.

I suggest that those most users would stay with the current version and get the new version when it is released fully.
Thanks very much for your reply Ted, I'll have a bash with it then . I did wonder why it's switched off and think that made me think something would go amiss if I turned it on. But, you've allayed my fears. Thanks again.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2017, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Thanks very much for your reply Ted, I'll have a bash with it then . I did wonder why it's switched off and think that made me think something would go amiss if I turned it on. But, you've allayed my fears. Thanks again.
I had a look at my MalwareBytes settings and also discovered that my rootkit switch was "Off", so I followed it up and found:

https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1311

Scan for rootkit is disabled by default because rootkit scanning takes substantially longer - it is a more thorough and essentially deeper scan of your system. However, rootkit scanning is an important part of the protection offered by Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. As such, we recommend that users schedule a weekly scan that incorporates rootkit scanning in addition to their existing scans.

To add a weekly rootkit scan:
  • Open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and click on Settings
  • Click on Automated Scheduling
  • Click Add
  • Pick which type of scan you would like to schedule from the Operation Type menu. Note that rootkit scanning is not available for Hyper Scans:
  • Threat Scan: Scans known locations that malware may reside
  • Custom Scan: Scans entire drives of your choice
  • Choose the date and time you would like the scan to start
  • Pick how often you would like the scan to happen
  • Click Advanced
  • Check Scan for Rootkits
  • Ensure Quarantine all threats automatically is unchecked (see below)
  • Click OK

We recommend leaving the Quarantine all threats automatically option unchecked because some Rootkit infections may have unexpected results when removed. Typically most detections can be quarantined, but if you see the threat Unknown.Rootkit in your scan results, please do not remove it. Instead, uncheck these detections in your scan, and click Ignore Once to finish the scan. Once finished, please contact our Support team immediately and we will provide additional analysis and assistance to remove this detection.
This put me off somewhat, so, if you go ahead, let me know what you did and how it turned out .....
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2017, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I had a look at my MalwareBytes settings and also discovered that my rootkit switch was "Off", so I followed it up and found:

https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1311

This put me off somewhat, so, if you go ahead, let me know what you did and how it turned out .....
It's certainly a hint showing how close these rootkits can get to being the "engine room" in a PC.

Sort of "Devil if you Do & Devil if you don't" situation.

Personally, I take an "I want it out" stance.

That package has worked OK, here, but there appears to have been nothing odd to find....which is more satisfying than not knowing if anything is there or not.

As the advice suggests, if something odd is found, you get the chance of searching the web, etc., to find out what the problem is, rather than just risking killing off (by quarantining) something which would prove to be harmless but important to the running of the system.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2017, 12:54 PM

I upgraded to Malwarebytes Premium because along with Rootkit protection, it prevents ransomware and protects against trojan infected websites, such pages are blocked automatically.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2017, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I upgraded to Malwarebytes Premium because along with Rootkit protection, it prevents ransomware and protects against trojan infected websites, such pages are blocked automatically.
That sounds convincing, but googling prices I find it on Amazon at £38 for one year. A bit steep for me.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
That sounds convincing, but googling prices I find it on Amazon at £38 for one year. A bit steep for me.
It's another "matter of choice" situation.

The normal (always?) difference between "paid for" and "Free" malware programs is how they deal with the bad stuff.

The paid for versions (usually) monitor everything coming off the net, etc, and hit it as it tries to get onto your PC.They, also, can be run for a daily/monthly sweep, etc.

The free versions (Usually) can only be run "as required".

Some people run their program once a month.

That does mean that any malware could be on your PC for, up to, 30 days before it is spotted and killed.

Only you can decide what's worth the price.
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Or.......you could always go Open Source.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 06:39 PM

JBR posts:

"That sounds convincing, but googling prices I find it on Amazon at £38 for one year. A bit steep for me."

It's actually £29 p.a which I don't think is too bad.

Page 7 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top