Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 02:01 PM

Re: Probiotics in doubt?

Yeah this for me is a classic issue of what we mean by probiotic.

For most people that means a natural yoghurt to which billions of special microbes have been added which have wonderfully scientific sounding names.

I can hear the advertising strap lines even now . . .

"Oooooh Denon" !

The truth is, as I have revelead in other threads, the "probiotics" in yoghurt are nothing more than cultured microbes from human shit.

That IS what probiotic yoghurt is. They take the bacteria from human waste and then grow it on in labs and add it to yoghurt. Yummm.

So we come to real probiotics.

Sauerkraut. The natural bateria and yeasts found on every fruit and vegetable in the natural world. These ARE very beneficial to our health.

By fermenting fruits and vegetables naturally we can produce massive quantities of those beneficial microbes which as a by product create great tasting foods like Sauerkraut and Kimchi.

We can also use the wild yeasts on fruits to make yeast water which can then be used as the yeast in making breads.

Nature is good.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 02:05 PM

I don't eat special probiotic yogurts but like the plain natural yogurt that Tesco sells. I don't know if it is especially good for me but I love it.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I don't eat special probiotic yogurts but like the plain natural yogurt that Tesco sells. I don't know if it is especially good for me but I love it.
Of itself, NO it isn't good for you. It is loaded with sugars, natural or otherwise. Sugar causes all manner of problems. It is very likely the reason you "think" you love it. Sugar fools the brains pleasure receptors and that's why manufacturers stuff loads of sugar into all their products.

Here's the sugar content of yoghurts in teaspoonfuls

And heres a previous thread I started where all of this was discussed

https://www.over50sforum.com/showthr...hlight=yoghurt

Happy reading
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 02:23 PM

But I only eat the yogurt with no sugar added to it. I don't like sweet yogurt.

EDIT: The ingredients listed appear to include sugar. I don't understand that as it doesn't taste sweet; in fact it tastes slightly salty.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

08-09-2018, 02:29 PM

The sugar comes from the milk. Lactose.

Sugar is sugar whether it is added or naturally present.

The issue with yoghurt is that there is no fibre present. Fibre is needed because it makes the digestion/processing of sugar a slow process, releasing energy throughout the day, that's why sprots people eat bananas, slow energy release.

Without the fibre teh sugar gets processed instantly, lots of energy produced, the body has no use for it and so stores it away as fat.

If you eat yoghurt you need to eat something with lots of fibre at the same time. Bananas or oats etc.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
Are you glad you asked.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

08-09-2018, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
The sugar comes from the milk. Lactose.

Sugar is sugar whether it is added or naturally present.

The issue with yoghurt is that there is no fibre present. Fibre is needed because it makes the digestion/processing of sugar a slow process, releasing energy throughout the day, that's why sprots people eat bananas, slow energy release.

Without the fibre teh sugar gets processed instantly, lots of energy produced, the body has no use for it and so stores it away as fat.

If you eat yoghurt you need to eat something with lots of fibre at the same time. Bananas or oats etc.
I do - I add it to muesli which has no sugar added, just a few raisins.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

08-09-2018, 02:41 PM

ALl shop bought muesli is chock full of sugar sadly. Look on the packet. I bet it says at least 20g sugar per 100g
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

08-09-2018, 02:43 PM

No, not the Dorset muesli I buy. The only sugar is from the raisins. The pack says no added sugar, same as Alpen. They do make versions which they have added sugar to, though.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

08-09-2018, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Are you glad you asked.
I'm not sure.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top