Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2018, 12:33 PM

Re: Rescuing People who put themselves in danger.

Yes, anyone who puts themselves & their rescuers in danger should be made to pay. I guess they don't always think of the outcome & often their exploits are successful, but those that aren't, should pay for their own rescue.

My friend was riding on the moor & her horse threw her, a friend with her got help, the rescue helicopter took her to the hospital, couldn't get an ambulance where she was. She gave a substantial donation to the air ambulance.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2018, 12:44 PM

I suppose, some people are selfish to put others at risk but l am sure it was never their intention to get into difficulties.
If, it was one of our own flesh and blood who needed rescuing then we would be glad of any rescue service.

In this recent case of the lady sailor being rescued from sea. I would imagine it is her intention to write a book about her experience? If so, maybe she should donate heavily to the rescue team charity that rescued her. After all, it was they who made it possible for her to live and be able to write her book.

I always feel sorry, for bystanders who jump into freezing cold water to rescue someone who has got into difficulties but lose their own life trying to rescue them.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2018, 01:18 PM

Wouldnt it be a good idea for these people who do these daring do feats to have to have insurance to pay if they have to be rescued and not expect the rescue services to bear the cost of rescue and even worse in some cases put the rescuers themselves lives at risk.

From what I have read sometimes some of these people make life challenging attempts to do things without any proper equipment or training and just expect others to pick up the pieces when it goes wrong.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2018, 01:50 PM

Gonna be a weekend of snow storms and coastal storms.
Everybody as been warned about them and the emergency services should make their priority the towns villages and city's.
They should stand down from coastal services and concentrate on the local area's that need them.

If some silly sod wants to walk along a pier or around a lighthouse with 20 foot waves battering those places then let them and if they get washed over into the sea then lets hope they are good swimmers.

Police should be on the lookout in case any of these idiots take and youngsters with them and remove those children from the grown ups and tell them now they can walk along that pier without the child.

Any sailor caught out there at sea if he was aware that there was a storm approaching he should be fined heavily the cost of what is in his hold would deter him in future from risking his life and others.

Had enough of idiots its the same every year and its about time they faced the consequences and took responsibility of their own lives not keep risking others.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2018, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I've always thought people who undertake these dangerous activities should have to take out insurance policies to cover possible rescue missions .... it's crazy that tax payers have to foot the bill.
Yes completely agree with you summer, that is what should happen.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2018, 04:55 PM

We are starting to fine people who show an utter disregard for warnings when it comes to imperiling first responders.

A friend of mine who is the chief lifeguard for our coastal area was interviewed on the evening news just prior to a major hurricane landfall a few years ago.

He said, "We've put out all the necessary warnings. Anyone who goes near or into harms way is making a conscious decision to do so and is violating the law. We will prosecute, but more than that, if you decide to go out, God help you because we aren't going to."
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2018, 05:03 PM

It should be no insurance = no rescue.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2018, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Yes, anyone who puts themselves & their rescuers in danger should be made to pay. I guess they don't always think of the outcome & often their exploits are successful, but those that aren't, should pay for their own rescue.

My friend was riding on the moor & her horse threw her, a friend with her got help, the rescue helicopter took her to the hospital, couldn't get an ambulance where she was. She gave a substantial donation to the air ambulance.
Not wanting to be funny Tiffany, but if those who explore and expect rescue when they become in a difficult situation, and as such are considered being selfish by some, where does it stop. Apart from potholers, sailors, mountain climbers , sky diving, should it include horse riding on the moors too ?

We cannot make judgement on other people and their chosen activities . Had it not been for the skills of the rescuers ,and their skills developed by actually being potholers and cave divers, those boys in Thailand in the summer would not have been rescued. The world was full of praise for those people then, now the same people condemn them for being selfish.
I don't understand .

In this case neither was she rescued by an organisation, there was a ship in the vicinity, and it went to assist her. That's a private shipping company which was happy to help.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2018, 10:33 AM

I agree with what some others have said. Insurance should be taken out.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2018, 10:35 AM

This is a subject that gets me up on my Soapbox, living where I do in The Highlands we are surrounded by mountains and Munroes that people decide they want to climb. I have seen some of the states of people when my OH and I are on the lower trails on horse back. In the summer I saw a woman in shorts, vest top and sandals, she was slipping on the rough ground and had no backpack or anything with her. Her companion was not much better, but he was wearing trainers instead of hiking boots. It's the same in the winter, some are just not equipped to go up there. Our Men put their lives at risk for these idiots and I, along with a lot of others are sick of it. They need insurance of some type before they set foot on the mountains, they make me savage. It's just coming into Avalanche Season, and is even more dangerous to themselves and the Rescue Teams, but do they care, do they hell. Selfish B****rs the lot of them.....

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top