Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2013, 07:48 PM

Re: Thinking of LED TV

I have a 37 inch Samsung led TV which is superb. The quality of movies and so on is top notch. We got ours from John Lewis where you can get a 5 year warranty, I think, or it comes with it, though I can't remember that part clearly. I think the current 32 inch model is this one.

John Lewis 32 Inch Samsung TV
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2013, 09:47 PM

Something else to consider:

Another thing to think about is the sound. The sound from these TVs tiny speakers is pretty rough so a home theatre system might be another expense needed to get the full benefit of the broadcast sound quality.

No doubt someone will say there is nothing wrong with the sound but they probably haven't heard it through even a relatively cheap system
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2013, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Something else to consider:

Another thing to think about is the sound. The sound from these TVs tiny speakers is pretty rough so a home theatre system might be another expense needed to get the full benefit of the broadcast sound quality.

No doubt someone will say there is nothing wrong with the sound but they probably haven't heard it through even a relatively cheap system
Very good point. I use my TV as a monitor for my computer which has a subwoofer and good speakers so the sound is amazing.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2013, 10:15 AM

This particular Sharp model I'm looking at is rated A @ 59kWh per annum, which is pretty good I think.

Secondly, I'm deaf so the sound quality from the TV makes no difference to me but my wife will obviously use it, as will others but we have our Technics system already set-up to take the broadcast sound if we need it - we don't use it at the moment but if need be it's all set up ready and it has 4 extra surround-sound speakers which we could use if we want.
Setting off to Richer Sounds in an hour to have a look! stevmk2
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2013, 05:00 PM

Well we went out to look at this TV - the Sharp LC32LD145K that is, and walked out of the shop with it!

I had to consider getting a break-out SCART box to plug everything into so I went to Maplins and bought one for £13.59 so the telly cost us £199.95, 5-year No-Quibble Warranty was £19.95 plus that break-out box so that's £233.49 altogether - still cheaper the John Lewis.

We bought it at Richer Sounds - very professional people, not at all pushy and very helpful too, as was the guy at Maplin too.

I had to strip-out all our old connections, move our old telly then re-plug up everything and started the TV up.

I spent about an hour trying to work out why it wouldn't find anything before my wife pointed out the instruction regarding "Common Connection Units" which I'd not seen, (or ignored - doh!!) - so I thought, maybe it has to be straight connection from the SKY box without the SCART Break out box attached as it's trying to locate a signal on the break out box instead!

So I plugged it up and off it went, all set-up in milliseconds!!

Very, very impressed with this TV - the settings for sound have an Equaliser which I've twiddled to get the best possible speech with the background music muted slightly and it helps me a lot.

Picture's great too, with a huge range of options but I've yet to explore the two-way USB socket, which can be used for running your photos on screen or adding a hard drive recorder - pretty nifty!

Thank you to all those who offered advice and I'd definitely recommend this TV to anyone. stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2013, 05:04 PM

I am so pleased to read you are happy with the TV Steve
Yes - we find Maplins to be helpful too ......
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2013, 05:08 PM

Pleased you've got your new TV, Steve

The Strictly dancers are going to look really good on that tonight
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

02-11-2013, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
I am so pleased to read you are happy with the TV Steve
Yes - we find Maplins to be helpful too ......
I've dealt with Maplins for years and they are very helpful, which is so refreshing!

Don't forget though Patsy, Richer Sounds - bear them in mind because I was very impressed with them too.

I do so hate pushy sales people or the dimwit types who know nothing but these guys are really good!

My wife's glued to Christmas TV channel on SKY at the moment - I'll not get a chance to watch anything for a while now! She really loves all the Christmassy stuff!! stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2013, 05:58 PM

I've not heard of Richer sounds - so you are lucky to have them there, its sure hard to find decent stores these days with staff that are knowledgable and care !
viking vic
west yorkshire
viking vic is male  viking vic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2013, 06:28 PM

stev try waiting till the xmas sales you might get a bargin buy then its not long off now

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top