Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2014, 02:49 PM

Windows 8

Off topic but mine runs on 8 and I keep getting asked do I want 8.1....do you get that message ST, would you ever do it?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2014, 03:03 PM

Re: Windows 8

Hi Jennifer the laptop my son bought for me has W8 installed.
I kept getting the message about 8.1 and was scared to do anything about it but my son said I must because it would contain all the latests updates including security.

I was able to download it free of charge by accepting the message and it was ok .
It took ages to download and I had to reinstall some extensions (like a spell check)but other than that all was ok.

There is an off/functions switch too in the left hand corner which is good .
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2014, 03:13 PM

Oh thank you so much, Meg - the problems with 8 are so bad at times I wondered if I'd be out of the frying pan......... I might do it later. Yes, I miss the switch in the corner as well.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2014, 03:37 PM

I've used computers running Windows since the days of 3.1 and I have to say that Windows 8 is by far the most useless and unneccesarily complex piece of software I have ever come across. I imagine that if you have never used a computer before getting one with Windows 8 it might be easier to deal with, but for someone used to earlier versions it is almost impossible to use and totally non-intuitive. A horrible, horrible piece of rubbish.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2014, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
Oh thank you so much, Meg - the problems with 8 are so bad at times I wondered if I'd be out of the frying pan......... I might do it later. Yes, I miss the switch in the corner as well.
Jennifer lets just 8.1 is no worse .
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

10-08-2014, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I've used computers running Windows since the days of 3.1 and I have to say that Windows 8 is by far the most useless and unneccesarily complex piece of software I have ever come across. I imagine that if you have never used a computer before getting one with Windows 8 it might be easier to deal with, but for someone used to earlier versions it is almost impossible to use and totally non-intuitive. A horrible, horrible piece of rubbish.
Same here Mick and when I was presented with a new laptop running W8 I was horrified having read lots of reviews .
Pretty much all of the tiles went in the bin straight way and I switched off the corners .

I got used to it quite quickly considering I am not technically minded.
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2014, 03:51 PM

Not too long ago I had a new tower made I choose Windows 7 because of ppl saying Windows 8 was trouble. After having Windows XP I'm getting into the new set up quite easy.
cranberry
Notts, UK

10-08-2014, 04:06 PM

I much prefer windows 7 or XP - 8 is horrible and I'm not that technically minded so am going to have a stab at 8.1, as Meg says it can't be any worse!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2014, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
Oh thank you for saying all that - I was beginning to think it was just me!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2014, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
Off topic but mine runs on 8 and I keep getting asked do I want 8.1....do you get that message ST, would you ever do it?
Haven't had that message yet - but would be reluctant to do it having had great problems in forcing 8 to do things my way. Don't want to have to do it all again.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top