Join for free
Page 156 of 190 « First < 56 106 146 154 155 156 157 158 166 > Last »
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2018, 11:49 PM

Re: Bob's Bits.

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
No snow yet Sweetie, but a very cold wind, I'll still be out in me shorts in the morning.........
Ooh, Brass Monkeys comes to mind.
Having said that, someone was swimming today in Bournemouth.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
Ooh, Brass Monkeys comes to mind.
Having said that, someone was swimming today in Bournemouth.
Before Mrs Fox and me were married and just going out with each other, we had a day out at Mablethorpe. It was the end of February and there were patches of snow on the ground. We walked along the beach holding hands, when I suddenly stripped down to my swimming costume and ran headlong into the sea and swam a short distance.....

Mrs Fox was gobsmacked, I'm surprised she still wanted to marry me....
Or was it what followed made her decide to marry me.......
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 01:45 PM

Before Mrs Fox and me were married and just going out with each other, we had a day out at Mablethorpe. It was the end of February and there were patches of snow on the ground. We walked along the beach holding hands, when I suddenly stripped down to my swimming costume and ran headlong into the sea and swam a short distance.....

Mrs Fox was gobsmacked, I'm surprised she still wanted to marry me....
Or was it what followed made her decide to marry me.......
You just happened to be wearing a swimming costume in February - Mmmm
I would be impressed. x
I used to do the charity swim in New Years Eve morning, I am too old for all that now, or too lazy.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2018, 10:58 AM

THE BEVERLEY FIFTEEN AND THREE QUARTERS

26/04/2015
Today’s excursion is the Beverley 20, but because the first part of the path from the Humber Bridge to North Ferriby is closed, we’ll call it the Beverley Fifteen and and Three Quarters. I had planned to park the car at the Tesco in Beverley, but upon reading the sign which foretold of impending doom to anyone who used the facility for more than three hours, I hastily purchased my Cornish Pasty, and Mars bar, and made a run for it. I would finish the walk at Beverley Minster, so I cruised that area to find a suitable parking spot, alas, the very narrow streets, and the copious use of yellow paint made it a no go area. A sign directed me to the Leisure Centre, which I though would be an excellent place to leave the car, as I was pursuing a leisure activity, but five pounds for four hours was not only beyond my means, but I’d be lucky to complete the round trip by bus in four hours. So necessity led me to an out of town location, which, if my map reading was to be relied upon, would be on my route to the Minster near the end of my walk, and if I was tired, could call it a day here.
I was soon cycling the undulating route from Beverley to North Ferriby, someone decided that today would be the day they would resurface the A164, and after filling it with bollards and heavy machinery, set about the task of ripping up the surface of the road, which made cycling difficult and dangerous. Despite this I arrived safely at the Railway Station in North Ferriby, and selected a suitable post to shackle the bike. I had decided to wear shorts, and although the weather was sunny, the wind was on the chilly side, but my legs will look nice in golden brown on the Keswick Half next week. The paths were dry and firm, except for the scramble along the foreshore of the river Humber, fortunately it’s only for a couple of hundred yards and then onto a beautiful forest track that gradually climbs up past Welton to the open farmland of the Wolds and on the the picturesque village of Skidby. A short climb out of Skidby and you get your first glimpse of Beverley Minster in the distance. I was soon stood waiting to cross the busy A164 complete with roadwork’s, traffic was still queuing, but at least it did make it easier to cross. The A1079 however is not as easy, you have to walk a good mile in the wrong direction before arriving at a footbridge, but when you see the traffic below on this main artery into Hull, you realise that it was worth the walk. The sun was beating down, as I crossed the road in Beverley, and realised it was the road where the car was parked, the Minster was in my grasp, no easy way out for me, I thought, as I ignored the comfort of the car in order to complete my pilgrimage to the Minster’s gate. With this thought on my mind, I went on to get hopelessly lost on a new housing estate. It was only by seeking assistance from some bloke cutting his grass, that I could unravel the complexities of this un-navigable brick jungle, and I came out on a road across from the gates of the Minster. I swigged back was was left of my orange juice, arrived back at the car, and took my place in the traffic queue on the A164 I had walked past earlier, It was unavoidable, as I had to recover my bike, which was still chained up to the station railings at North Ferriby.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

08-01-2019, 01:47 PM

In the last years of the nineteenth century a railway bridge was constructed on what was was generally regarded as minor road out of the farming community known as Barnby Dun...Previously named 'Barnby upon Don' due to its location on the tidal river Don....

Since then the route has become a major thoroughfare linking Hatfield, Thorne and the M18 motorway. The railway that passes under the bridge links Doncaster to Hull and the East Coast. As a boy I would travel to Bridlington and Scarborough on the line, for our annual holiday and I recall how exciting it was....

For the past forty years the bridge has become part of my regular running route and previously my way to work....Man and boy this bridge has provided me with a portal to the rest of the world and today it was closed.....

At seven thirty this morning while out for my usual five mile run I arrived at the base of the bridge and a barricade of bollards and signs redirecting the traffic.
It was still possible to jog over the bridge as work had not yet started, and so a cyclist on her way to work and myself took advantage of the empty road....

I managed to take this shot yesterday while the bridge was still operational...
Such a handsome bridge....Soon to be a pile of rubble....And the source of so much aggravation for the next six months as drivers queue on the diversion which will be so incapable of handling the high volumes of traffic suddenly overwhelming the quiet streets of the small hamlet.

Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 06:51 PM

Flipping Philistine Fools. No hearts
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

09-01-2019, 11:22 AM

Some good news after all Robert......

Apparently the bridge carries Electricity cables, over one thousand telephone connections, and other essential services. So they are building a temporary footbridge and gantry before demolishing the old bridge. So it's business as usual concerning the running fox.....
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

09-01-2019, 12:57 PM

Oh, Foxy I have been missing all this.
Note to self: Pay attention.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2019, 12:35 PM

Some good news after all Robert......

Apparently the bridge carries Electricity cables, over one thousand telephone connections, and other essential services. So they are building a temporary footbridge and gantry before demolishing the old bridge. So it's business as usual concerning the running fox.....
Glad to hear it Robert 1.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

10-01-2019, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
Oh, Foxy I have been missing all this.
Note to self: Pay attention.
Quite so Ms Pie, do keep up.

Page 156 of 190 « First < 56 106 146 154 155 156 157 158 166 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top