Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2015, 10:55 AM

AVG Alert

I'm finally learning something about computers - thanks to some of the wonderful people on here - but have just seen an alert from AVG warning me about a pre-installed programme called Superfish which has possibly been installed by Lenovo. There's a list of various computers which may be affected - none of which I recognise and it ends with a red warning and says I should download the Superfish Removal Tool.

Can anyone say this is legit???

I've accessed Programs and features from my control panel and checked to see if I have a programme called Superfish - I don't! Is there anything more I should do?
2wheeler
Lincolnshire
2wheeler is male  2wheeler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2015, 11:09 AM

Re: AVG Alert

Iīve read somewhere that Lenovo have been putting dodgy software on their computers without telling customers. Try a google to see if thatīs what your problem is.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2015, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by 2wheeler ->
Iīve read somewhere that Lenovo have been putting dodgy software on their computers without telling customers. Try a google to see if thatīs what your problem is.
I read that too somewhere ....
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2015, 11:38 AM

I had to have a man in last week as I was getting pop ups all the time in spite of having AVG. He downloaded a free (for 3 weeks) program called "Malwarebyte" which did a scan and got rid of all the nasties. Why don't you try it as you know it's safe ( I have used it twice without problems).
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2015, 11:48 AM

I have the free version of Malwarebytes on my laptop, seems to do the job well. The difference seems to be that it doesn't scan automatically, you have to remember to do it.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2015, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Bird ->
I have the free version of Malwarebytes on my laptop, seems to do the job well. The difference seems to be that it doesn't scan automatically, you have to remember to do it.
I do too and Superantispyware
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2015, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
I'm finally learning something about computers - thanks to some of the wonderful people on here - but have just seen an alert from AVG warning me about a pre-installed programme called Superfish which has possibly been installed by Lenovo. There's a list of various computers which may be affected - none of which I recognise and it ends with a red warning and says I should download the Superfish Removal Tool.

I've accessed Programs and features from my control panel and checked to see if I have a programme called Superfish - I don't! Is there anything more I should do?
Ive the same alert just come on.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2015, 12:21 PM

First of all in a search box type in superfish to see if it is on your computer.

If it is what is the best way to remove it? removal tools are ok but usually leave bits in the computer registery

I use a program called "Revo" which finds these left over bits and gets rid of them

Link
http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_..._download.html

Admittedly I do have the professional version but the free one will clear anything left from the registery and I can highly recommend it
Simple to use and very affective

Malwarebytes I have also on my computer which does stop some unwanted programs getting onto your computer
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2015, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I do too and Superantispyware
Snap plus Spybot Search and Destroy
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2015, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->

Sometimes its easiest to reset your computer to an earlier date or time when all was ok.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top