Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2015, 03:15 PM

Re: Does anyone have a HP .......

Just checked my battery I have 5 hours 51 minutes left on it, 84% remaining.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2015, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
Just checked my battery I have 5 hours 51 minutes left on it, 84% remaining.
Seems to be HP then - running out of sauce
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2015, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Hi Loretta - I have a HP Pavilion and windows 8.1
I've had this around 10 months I'd say, its just an odd one and although I don't use the battery its always so low - I have to do a restart every week too ........
It might be that instead of switching the computer off you are actually putting it to 'sleep'. Some manufacturers, for reasons I can't fathom, make the default action of the power switch to put the computer in 'sleep' mode rather than turning it off or 'shutting down'. (Similar to just closing the lid)

You can change this in the power section of the control panel (just search for 'power switch'.)

Sleep mode remembers what the computer was doing when it was last used hence uses a small ammount of power from the battery when you think it is turned off.

When it is 'shut down' it uses no power from the battery.

Then again the problem might be something different but I would check this out if I where you.

My son swears by HP
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2015, 04:35 PM

Thanks Bruce - will check that
I think I'm shutting it down because I have to put me password in when I start up again .......
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2015, 07:52 PM

Hi Loretta - I have a HP Pavilion and windows 8.1
I've had this around 10 months I'd say, its just an odd one and although I don't use the battery its always so low - I have to do a restart every week too ........
My OH has a HO Pavilion....he doesn't use the battery enough either, they say you should run the battery down periodically to extend battery life..... apparently it’s not good for the long-term health of your battery to leave your laptop always plugged in to the mains.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteboo...ry/td-p/980171
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

12-03-2015, 07:55 PM

Well its running down all by itself Pats
Hubs is fine, battery still 100 per cent and his laptop is older than mine
Strange things - laptops ......
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2015, 08:40 PM

The days of "batteries with memory" are long gone. It doesn't matter any more if your battery is fully discharged before charging. Most batteries are Lithium Ion these days.

A question for you.

Have you ever taken your laptop on holiday? Such as on a cruise etc? If so did you put it through the security x-ray machine?

This can allegedly knacker your battery. It's ok to put laptops through the x-ray machines but you should always detach the battery from the laptop first.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

13-03-2015, 01:32 AM

Its never left me side .....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2015, 02:05 AM

Thanks Bruce - will check that
I think I'm shutting it down because I have to put me password in when I start up again .......
No Patsy, that is no indication at all. You can have to sign in if the screen saver comes on (depending on the set up). That is purely related to your account.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

13-03-2015, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
No Patsy, that is no indication at all. You can have to sign in if the screen saver comes on (depending on the set up). That is purely related to your account.
I did what you suggested Bruce and everything is set up right ...... I just have the odd machine out of the batch

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top