Join for free
Page 3 of 26 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Chas
New Member!
Oxford UK
Chas is male 

06-06-2015, 05:37 PM

Re: Windows 10

Yes, I have it too and have used it to pre-register my request for a free upgrade in July. I've installed the Windows 10 Evaluation version on another old PC and it's great, so much better than Windows 8.1 and easier if you're a confirmed Desktop user rather than a start screen icon user. Even then, you can easily install something like Classic Shell to get back to an XP/Vista/W7 start button and menu.

Windows Vista brought Windows much better security than XP and previous versions and 7, 8 and now 10 are building on that to make it more robust and more easily updated. Essentially Windows 10 will be the last MAJOR update to Windows and from then on more regular & smaller patching will be done all the time, so once you have W10, you'll never need to upgrade the SW again.
KnickerFarage
London
KnickerFarage is female  KnickerFarage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2015, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Having only just bought a new PC with W8, I spent an afternoon waiting for the upgrade to W8.1, so I'm not wasting any more time with more upgrades.

I need to read my computer magazine to know the benefits of 10.
if you have windows 7 then I cannot see the advantage of installing windows 10 but if you have windows 8(.1) then I think you are best to ditch that dud as soon as you can.

when your windows 7 machine kicks the bucket (or microsoft abandons it) then your new machine will undoubtedly use the latest operating system but as a rule of thumb upgrading to the latest operating system just means a slower computer.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2015, 07:08 AM

We have two computers in everyday use, one is currently on Windows 7 and the other is on Windows 8.1. I prefer to use the computer running Windows 8.1 but both will be upgraded to Windows 10 when it is released.

As regards upgrades slowing a computer down, I think this can sometimes be noticeable, perhaps depending on the condition or specifications of the computer being upgraded. Maybe best to do a clean installation of the new OS where possible.
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2015, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
We have two computers in everyday use, one is currently on Windows 7 and the other is on Windows 8.1. I prefer to use the computer running Windows 8.1 but both will be upgraded to Windows 10 when it is released.

As regards upgrades slowing a computer down, I think this can sometimes be noticeable, perhaps depending on the condition or specifications of the computer being upgraded. Maybe best to do a clean installation of the new OS where possible.
Could you explain to me what a "Clean Installation" is, I hate having to do this kind of update, when I went to 8.1 my laptop stalled somewhere along the way and I had to get someone in to repair and get it up and running again.

Will I be able to stay on 8.1 ?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2015, 12:45 PM

Don't it get on your nerves Marj - just as you get used to things, they want to change it ...............

Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2015, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Don't it get on your nerves Marj - just as you get used to things, they want to change it ...............

It does it really bugs me, just wish they would leave things alone.

Love the cat
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2015, 02:12 PM

I still use Windows 7 64bit because Windows 8 was garbage - even Microsoft realise Windows 8 flopped badly. Just Google for 'Microsoft admits Windows 8 failure' or here's a link to merely one of the articles about it. http://www.marketwatch.com/story/mic...s-8-2013-05-07

I also had the offer of a free "upgrade" to Windows 10 pop up on my taskbar but I'm going to wait until i can find out if it's actually worth "upgrading" to before I do anything.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2015, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Marj ->
Could you explain to me what a "Clean Installation" is, I hate having to do this kind of update, when I went to 8.1 my laptop stalled somewhere along the way and I had to get someone in to repair and get it up and running again.

Will I be able to stay on 8.1 ?
Marj I think it means wiping the old system off your PC first before installing the new one which is what my son usually does after saving all the important stuff on to a backup device. I think this helps to prevents any odd bits of the old system affecting the new.

I know he will also advise that I upgrade from W8.1 to 10 too because he says once a new system is out the old one doesn't receive the same support from the manufactures and it is important to be as updated as possible from the point of view of having the latest security.

Yes you could stay on W8.1 but it may not be supported with updates indefinitely.
I would like to stay on it for now till any bugs with W10 have been ironed out...

ETA I haven't had the icon on my PC yet I hope they haven't forgotten me
Marj
England

07-06-2015, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Marj I think it means wiping the old system off your PC first before installing the new one which is what my son usually does after saving all the important stuff on to a backup device. I think this helps to prevents any odd bits of the old system affecting the new.

I know he will also advise that I upgrade from W8.1 to 10 too because he says once a new system is out the old one doesn't receive the same support from the manufactures and it is important to be as updated as possible from the point of view of having the latest security.

Yes you could stay on W8.1 but it may not be supported with updates indefinitely.
I would like to stay on it for now till any bugs with W10 have been ironed out...

ETA I haven't had the icon on my PC yet I hope they haven't forgotten me
Thanks Meg, its not something I would do myself, will have to see when my daughter does the W10 update and then when she is up and running she will do it for me.
She wont do it though for some time as like you she says to never update till all bugs are ironed out.
I have only got the W10 icon up on my laptop its not on my Note Book I think you call it and that is only a few months old.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2015, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Marj ->
Thanks Meg, its not something I would do myself, will have to see when my daughter does the W10 update and then when she is up and running she will do it for me.
She wont do it though for some time as like you she says to never update till all bugs are ironed out.
I have only got the W10 icon up on my laptop its not on my Note Book I think you call it and that is only a few months old.
Me neither Marj in case it goes wrong
I am not very confident with my abilities when it comes to PCs

Page 3 of 26 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top