Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2015, 03:10 PM

Do I need a laptop ?

Laptop is playing up I have been told the connection between screen half and key board is failing and the cost to fix is more than a new machine so I am looking at buying a new one. But I as I am looking I am wondering if a tablet or some other medium may be enough.

Basically I use a few forums, email, do my Tesco shopping ebay and amazon, and down load knitting patterns and sewing patterns.

So can I do that on a less bulky and slightly cheaper possibly machine ?
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2015, 03:21 PM

Re: Do I need a laptop ?

My iPad is a fabulous newish toy, which I bought when my iMac's hard drive bust.
I thought it would tied me over while I waited for the Mac to be fixed ... but I am hooked on it.
Never enjoyed using a laptop.
Dunno if I'd fancy doing a Tesco's order on the iPad. Can't remember if I have tried it.

I've just noticed that the local buses here where I'm staying have wifi ... great if I take the iPad but I wouldn't fancy lugging a laptop around when I go shopping
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2015, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
My iPad is a fabulous newish toy, which I bought when my iMac's hard drive bust.
I thought it would tied me over while I waited for the Mac to be fixed ... but I am hooked on it.
Never enjoyed using a laptop.
Dunno if I'd fancy doing a Tesco's order on the iPad. Can't remember if I have tried it.
Rachel I haven't really used an I pad I use a mouse with my laptop I can't get on with a touchpad mouse, my hands are too old and stiff.

I don't think I could get on without a keyboard either

I won't have an Iphone for the same reason thought was offered one as a gift.

So Julie I guess the question is can you manage with a touch pad and no keyboard.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2015, 03:31 PM

I have used Steven's phone at times and not had a problem with no key board which is why I wondered if I need a laptop really. Only thing puts me off his phone is the screen is too small I peer at it with my reading glasses on.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2015, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Rachel I haven't really used an I pad I use a mouse with my laptop I can't get on with a touchpad mouse, my hands are too old and stiff.

I don't think I could get on without a keyboard either

I won't have an Iphone for the same reason thought was offered one as a gift.

So Julie I guess the question is can you manage with a touch pad and no keyboard.
I can't use those things on laptops either so used a mouse on the few occasions I tried the laptop.
I did buy a keyboard to go with my iPad but haven't used it. I imagined my long fingernails might be a problem, but nope.
I plonk away merrily with the pad of my middle finger on here .. A5 iPad ? not the mini one anyway.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2015, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I have used Steven's phone at times and not had a problem with no key board which is why I wondered if I need a laptop really. Only thing puts me off his phone is the screen is too small I peer at it with my reading glasses on.
Julie do you know someone with a tablet so you can have a go and see how you get on.
wishbone
south wales
wishbone is male  wishbone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2015, 04:07 PM

quote Julie

Laptop is playing up I have been told the connection between screen half and key board is failing and the cost to fix is more than a new machine

I find that hard to believe Julie I had a new connection fitted on my laptop and the total cost for the connector and labour was only £35.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

03-10-2015, 04:13 PM

It has other problems too Wishbone, it's been knocked about a bit with kids using it and the battery is shot too so would need a few bits to get it running right. Trying windows 10 didn't do it any good it hasn't run well since then either.
Deborah2307
Weymouth Dorset
Deborah2307 is female  Deborah2307 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2015, 04:54 PM

Hi my daughter is really techie and has had an ipad since they came out but this week she has bought a laptop and has admitted there are things that are more difficult to do on a tablet and a laptop will make her life easier.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2015, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Laptop is playing up I have been told the connection between screen half and key board is failing and the cost to fix is more than a new machine so I am looking at buying a new one. But I as I am looking I am wondering if a tablet or some other medium may be enough.

Basically I use a few forums, email, do my Tesco shopping ebay and amazon, and down load knitting patterns and sewing patterns.

So can I do that on a less bulky and slightly cheaper possibly machine ?
They told me at the repair shop that the £750 lap top I am using now was not a viable repair. So I stripped the thing right down and repaired it myself for £7. Being as I cannot even use a pc as such and have never see the inside of a lap-top in my life and are reputed to be a thicko, brilliant you should be able to repair yours no trouble.
Then I have also a surplus of about ten kicking about the place which work fine and have cost under £100.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top