Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2015, 05:24 PM

Re: Do I need a laptop ?

Mrs Mart has an iPad that she uses for playing games, reading on the Kindle App and browsing the Internet.

When it comes to buying items or detailed research of products, she turns the Desktop computer on. I think it's the larger screen and certainly a proper keyboard that does it.

You could find you'd miss that with the laptop if you decide to give it up.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2015, 06:01 PM

Hmm need to put some thought into what I need, we would still have my husbands laptop to fall back on but I don't want to be a nuisance and have to ask for it too often.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2015, 07:04 PM

I have this tablet and I love it. It's very handy when I'm out all day and very easy to use, the onscreen keyboard is not bad at all and I hate onscreen keyboards, but this one is a good size. It's much cheaper than many others and every bit as good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-Media...T1+10.0+tablet
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2015, 07:15 PM

Thanks Clumsy I have put it in my favourites to compare.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2015, 08:22 PM

As you know, I have every conceivable type of computer, and each has its own place in my life!

I'm on the iPad now, which I use for day to day browsing of forums, emails, social media, and playing Solitaire. However, I find the onscreen keyboard extremely tiring for typing long posts.

You need to consider something like that when choosing.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

03-10-2015, 08:26 PM

I can keep it short when necessary
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2015, 08:50 PM

Julie - imo if you can't get the lappy repaired then consider a small netbook. I don't think you'd like an iPad because they are extremely curtailed in their functionality and the concept of "downloading" is vastly different.

When you say you download knitting patterns I'm guessing you use sites like Ravelry and Pinterest ? (yep Realist can knit too ! who knew ?!)

On an iPad you don't get to see the hard disk contents like you do on a PC. There isn't the concept of bringing up the equivalent of Windows Explorer and look at your folders on the hard disk, moving documents from one folder to another and so on. All of this is locked down. Equally, the absence of a proper keyboard is a complete non-starter for me if you are a social network and forum user.

Netbooks give you great portability (they're about the size of a book but much thinner), you get long battery life, typically 10hrs or more on a full charge, you get the Windows functionality you are probably used to, and you get sockets and plugs you probably take for granted but would be astonished to discover don't exist on an iPad.

Have you ever used a USB Stick or other USB device on your laptop to store backups of your important stuff or to transfer from one PC/laptop to another? Me too, I use them all the time. One of the first things I discovered about an iPad was that it doesn't even have a USB slot !! I couldn't believe it really in this day and age. So how do you say give some great knitting patterns you have to a friend? With a laptop/Netbook just use a USB stick. With an iPad you have to send your stuff to the internet first, say via your email system and then send it to your friend. Crazy !! So pretty much to do anything at all on an iPad you have to have internet connectivity which isn't always convenient or possible.

Take a look at Asus and Acer netbooks or laptops if you want something a little bigger. They are incredibly cheap these days.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2015, 09:06 PM

Julie I have had two iPads, my current one, which I'm on at the moment, being the iPadAir. I love it but no way would I say it could replace my Mac. The iPad or any tablet is useful and convenient but I wouldn't use it as a sole replacement.

I've never owned a laptop so can't comment on that.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

03-10-2015, 09:14 PM

Thank you both, yes I keep my patterns in folders and transfer them to a usb stick for safety, I think I would miss being able to do that I have hundreds currently - old favourites and ones yet to knit. Would very much miss being able to use them as I do.
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2015, 09:16 PM

I've had ipad2 since it came out I love it. I also have a PC that I wouldn't be without mainly for my photography.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top