Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2016, 08:10 AM

Technology

This is long and boring so you might want to scroll down to the last Paragraph.

4 days ago lost internet connection when playing poker for a lot of money.

Switch modem off and on again connected started playing same thing happened and could not reconnect.

Got out my very old Cable connect Router NO problem.

Being a lazy sod left on for 2 days then reverted to my WI-FI

Which did not work....but the wired one still worked.

So contacted Talktalk on line and a 20 minute waste of time he said internet was down.

After 2 hours of searching at home found a booklet from talktalk with telephone numbers in it(None on their site)

Rang them up explained all and the nice man said "we will send you a new Router".

This is the interesting bit.

They ask me to stay on line and for future securtie they wanted to record my voice.

Was asked to repeat the same question 3 times over the phone.

So next time I ring them up No secrrity questions which I would have forgooten but just asked to repeat a phase.

Sorry for being so boring but think its a step forward for morons like me who cant remember their mothers maiden name.

PS they also said you DONT have to remember the phase we will tell you it and just ask you to repeat it
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2016, 09:08 AM

Re: Technology

That sounds good Galty I guess the voice goes through some kind of digital voice analyser .

I have had so many different passwords/usernames/security questions for so many organisations over the years I will be damned if I can remember any of them.

So that will be a step forward for me. .
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2016, 09:27 AM

A good idea but let's just hope john culshaw doesn't use his powers for evil😂
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2016, 06:32 PM

Ordered the new router at around 2pm Friday.

Delivered by Royal Mail Saturday at 10 am Well pleased.

I can now lie in bed and watch Jeremy Kyle on my tablet.

Shows its much better to talk to someone on the telephone than on line.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2016, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
4 days ago lost internet connection when playing poker for a lot of money.
Not the core topic of your thread but I would strongly urge you to be careful with online poker. It is corrupt and crooked to the core and in no way safe to play. You WILL lose a ton of money I guarantee it. The specific site doesn't matter TBH. They are all raking in the profits through the same means. Player collusion is rife and site security does little to combat it, you WILL always get a "honeymoon" period when you first register with any site, where you get to win well for the first few days before it all then goes against you.

I played for about a year, quite some time ago and learned the hard way. I then downloaded many 1000s of hand histories, both my own and those of others and pumped them through analysis tools. I didn't like the stats it produced but equally could see that when considering the legitimacy of random number distribution you need gazillions of hand histories of similar situations to gain any real evidence.

Online, people are ganging together using multiple accounts and sharing their cards with each other as they play. Some players are just computer bots which can assess playing odds in a fraction of a second. If a person can get 2 or more bots on the same table, those bots can share their details and have a huge advantage.

Bots and computers can of course analyse your entire history of hands played and determine from that your playing ranges, what hands you will raise with, what hands you will ditch and so on. Armed with that data they can outplay you easily.

All in all it is a total mugs game. The myths of "hard core" players grifting away 24x7 making good money is just that, a myth. Once they start winning the system fights back and takes any profits back.

ALL online gaming is sadly similarly afflicted. One poker site was busted some years ago when one of its employees was discovered using an Admin account in which he could see everyone's cards. The player was dumb and just exploited his advantage and was thus caught. Had he been more careful he would doubtless have gone unnoticed. Despite this ACTUAL event, well recorded, poker sites the world over still insist that there are no Admin accounts that can see everyone's cards. Only a complete idiot would believe that.

When software is developed, it has to be tested, and you can't test poker software unless you can see all the cards and thus check that the system is doing the right thing. So very plainly there exists a way to do that.

In short, online poker is unsafe in a great many different ways and anyone who participates WILL lose money.

I realise that is a pain. I loved playing the game online. I would still like to play it online but it is impossible, except to play for pretend chips with no money involved, and frankly, that makes the game pointless.

GL either way.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex

05-09-2016, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Not the core topic of your thread but I would strongly urge you to be careful with online poker. It is corrupt and crooked to the core and in no way safe to play. You WILL lose a ton of money I guarantee it. The specific site doesn't matter TBH. They are all raking in the profits through the same means. Player collusion is rife and site security does little to combat it, you WILL always get a "honeymoon" period when you first register with any site, where you get to win well for the first few days before it all then goes against you.

I played for about a year, quite some time ago and learned the hard way. I then downloaded many 1000s of hand histories, both my own and those of others and pumped them through analysis tools. I didn't like the stats it produced but equally could see that when considering the legitimacy of random number distribution you need gazillions of hand histories of similar situations to gain any real evidence.

Online, people are ganging together using multiple accounts and sharing their cards with each other as they play. Some players are just computer bots which can assess playing odds in a fraction of a second. If a person can get 2 or more bots on the same table, those bots can share their details and have a huge advantage.

Bots and computers can of course analyse your entire history of hands played and determine from that your playing ranges, what hands you will raise with, what hands you will ditch and so on. Armed with that data they can outplay you easily.

All in all it is a total mugs game. The myths of "hard core" players grifting away 24x7 making good money is just that, a myth. Once they start winning the system fights back and takes any profits back.

ALL online gaming is sadly similarly afflicted. One poker site was busted some years ago when one of its employees was discovered using an Admin account in which he could see everyone's cards. The player was dumb and just exploited his advantage and was thus caught. Had he been more careful he would doubtless have gone unnoticed. Despite this ACTUAL event, well recorded, poker sites the world over still insist that there are no Admin accounts that can see everyone's cards. Only a complete idiot would believe that.

When software is developed, it has to be tested, and you can't test poker software unless you can see all the cards and thus check that the system is doing the right thing. So very plainly there exists a way to do that.

In short, online poker is unsafe in a great many different ways and anyone who participates WILL lose money.

I realise that is a pain. I loved playing the game online. I would still like to play it online but it is impossible, except to play for pretend chips with no money involved, and frankly, that makes the game pointless.

GL either way.
You are mostly wrong.

Think you are just a losing player and its just sour grapes by you.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2016, 03:48 PM

Sadly I'm not in the least bit wrong, and you are obviously in denial. Nevertheless I invite you to highlight where I am wrong.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2016, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
You are mostly wrong.

Think you are just a losing player and its just sour grapes by you.
I agree with realist be careful!!!
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex

05-09-2016, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Sadly I'm not in the least bit wrong, and you are obviously in denial. Nevertheless I invite you to highlight where I am wrong.
One site Absolute Poker had a Problem with a former owner who when setting up his site left a trap door in the software.
He then sold the company and then did as you said but only on the high level cash games...this after a short time was noticed and reported on the 2+2 forum Absolute Poker when informed ignored this at first till the amount of evidence built and they compensated their players $1.6 million and closed the loophole on their software.

This was the only site to have been affected by this sort con. not like you inferred that all the sites do this.

The was one other site that was a con that was Full Tilt poker... the players money was not ring fenced as with all other poker sites and when the Americans pulled the plug on Internet Poker they filled their pockets.

Two years later Pokerstars brought out Full Tilt and repaid all the Players money.

No your just a losing poker player that needs to justify his incompedance.

http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/show...0&fpart=1&vc=1
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2016, 08:01 PM

Be very careful Galty, it's very worrying when I read of people watching Jeremy Kyle in bed

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top