Join for free
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2016, 10:08 PM

BEWARE Smart Meters Coming

The number of adverts lauding the so-called benefits of the new "Smart Meters" is increasing. This is a nefarious creeping push by the energy companies to snoop on all of your energy usage whilst at the same time damaging your health through high strength microwave radiation.

It's very important that we all do our research here.

The new Smart Meters are said to be like having a mobile phone mast bolted to your house. Where you home WiFi router is designed to transmit its signal a few meters, energy Smart Meters can be designed to transmit their signal a number of MILES.

In the USA the advent of Smart Meters has resulted in mass protests, with countless people refusing to have them and refusing energy engineers access to their properties.

The same is happening in the UK. You are all going to get a "Hard Sell" to accept one or more of these new meters and that sales pitch will try and convince you that you could save money via the little gadget they will give you which lets you see the energy usage. In practice studies have shown that despite having this, people do not alter their consumption habits.

There are multiple issues with Smart Meters but the one you need to be most concerned with is the health issue. Being irradiated by the mobile phone/WiFi signal from these devices 24x7 is not a good idea for your health or that of your children.

The meters have this in-built mobile/WiFi capability so that they can send signals to a central/base station which may be located close to or far from your house. This will send info to your energy company about your energy usage including in the future how and when you do certain things like use the kettle, the shower and so on. Modern devices like fridges, freezers, TVs and the like are all going to come with RFID transmitters in them. The Smart Meters will be able to communicate with your boiler and other devices as time goes on.

Ultimately this is a foundation milestone for the energy companies who will likely later change your charging mechanism. Where you now get charged per unit of energy used, this may later change to a system where you will be charged different rates at different times of the day. Obviously having monitored everyone's energy usage, the companies will charge us the highest rate during the period we use the most energy. So ultimately, a Smart Meter will lead to you paying a lot more money.

Do your research here:

What is a ‘$mart’ Meter (and why is my profit-hungry energy company so desperate for me to have one)?

http://stopsmartmeters.org.uk/resour...-smart-meters/

Health Impacts
http://stopsmartmeters.org.uk/wp-con...cle-201405.pdf

IMPORTANT NOTES

1. If you need a new boiler and ask British Gas to install one, you will by default get your energy meter swapped out to a new Smart Meter without any further consent. The small print in the contract for a new boiler allegedly contains a clause stating you accept a new meter.
READ THE SMALL PRINT !

2. Even if YOU realise the dangers of Smart Meters to your health, your neighbour may not. If they have a Smart Meter installed and if their house is close to yours, then you will still be constantly irradiated by their meter.
Therefore TALK TO YOUR NEIGHBOURS and ensure they understand the risks too

3. Despite anything the energy companies say to you, despite how hard the "sell", THEY CANNOT FORCE YOU to have a Smart Meter. They may even say to you that you MUST have one, but they are lying if they do. one in the UK HAS to have a Smart Meter. However the energy companies are likely to penalise us if we don't accept one.
What price do you put on your health and that of your children?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2016, 10:36 PM

Re: BEWARE Smart Meters Coming

The great smart meter rip-off: Energy giants will use devices to DOUBLE the cost of power when you need it most

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/b...need-most.html

"Energy giants are set to use digital smart meters as a way to double the cost of power when families need it most — adding nearly £60 a year to the average bill.

A Money Mail investigation has discovered Britain’s leading power firms are expected to introduce tariffs that charge more at peak times when they roll out new electronic meters which monitor how much energy you use by the second."
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

09-12-2016, 10:38 PM

British families at risk from smart meters, campaigners tell MPs

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/eart...-tell-MPs.html

"Officials said smart meters are perfectly safe, as the level of radiation they emit is less than that of a mobile phone. Energy companies are planning to install the devices in British homes by 2019 to make gas and electricity readings more accurate.

However, Stop Smart Meters UK told MPs that there is evidence the radiation could be 140 to 800 times higher than that from mobile phones.

Dr Liz Evans, a campaigner, said there are hundreds of studies showing "evidence of harm could be acute", including possible "chronic effects from long term exposure such as cancer, infertility, dementia, genetic damage, immune system dysfunction and damage to foetuses".
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2016, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
British families at risk from smart meters, campaigners tell MPs

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/eart...-tell-MPs.html

"Officials said smart meters are perfectly safe, as the level of radiation they emit is less than that of a mobile phone. Energy companies are planning to install the devices in British homes by 2019 to make gas and electricity readings more accurate.

However, Stop Smart Meters UK told MPs that there is evidence the radiation could be 140 to 800 times higher than that from mobile phones.

Dr Liz Evans, a campaigner, said there are hundreds of studies showing "evidence of harm could be acute", including possible "chronic effects from long term exposure such as cancer, infertility, dementia, genetic damage, immune system dysfunction and damage to foetuses".
I've never heard of 'Stop Smart Meters UK', and I think I'd question the validity of what she says. If she were a scientifically qualified representative, she would be aware that 'acute' = of sudden onset, whereas it sounds like she means 'severe'.

In any event, if I were ever ordered to accept a smart meter, I'd secretly cover in in metal foil and see how they feel about that. Alternatively, I'd cover it in metal foil during expensive peak periods and uncover it during the cheap times of day, thus saving myself a shed load of money!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2016, 08:31 AM

Not for me, I've still got a paper driving licence, what happens if you move house and it's already been kitted out, can you have it removed?
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2016, 09:36 AM

Interesting post realist,
I must confess I didn't know about the health risks associated with smart meters , however, I think they are a con as you say , you will be charged at different rates at different times of day, plus they won't need people to come and read your meter as it can be done remotely, I will resist having a smart meter installed for as long as possible,
I have listened to quite a few consumer programs on the radio where people have been overcharged for their energy and have difficulty getting a refund/bill adjustment .
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2016, 10:02 AM

I've been receiving letters from SSE to have a smart meter fitted for a couple of years , I just bin them . Interesting post realist Thankyou
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2016, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Not for me, I've still got a paper driving licence, what happens if you move house and it's already been kitted out, can you have it removed?
If they're like water meters, NO!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

10-12-2016, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
No. The Smart Meter would be left with the house, as would the gadget you get which shows your usage. It is tied/mapped to the meter so wouldn't work with any other meter.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

10-12-2016, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I've never heard of 'Stop Smart Meters UK', and I think I'd question the validity of what she says.
Do your research JBR. You really don't want a high strength mobile transmitter strapped to your house irradiating you 24x7.

Originally Posted by JBR ->
In any event, if I were ever ordered to accept a smart meter, I'd secretly cover in in metal foil and see how they feel about that.
They would simply send an engineer round to examine the unit and then ask you to remove it. If you refused they would cut off your supply. In the US people made simple Faraday cages but they get nowhere. Lots and lots of civil unrest about the meters in the US.

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top