Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2018, 12:29 PM

Re: Floydy's Top 200 Music Artists

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
Has for Manfred Man well to be honest I was more of a Paul Jones fan I thought he had a great voice.

Infact I read somewhere a while back whether its true or not that Paul Jones was the first choice of Brian Jones when he was getting the Rolling Stones together Jagger was just an alternative.
Now that is worth thinking about imagine The Stones with a charming sophisticated, well spoken singer instead of The Jagger drawl..

Yes in the words of the great Jagger himself "You Can't Always Get What You Want."
That's interesting, i didn't know that.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2018, 12:32 PM

I suppose Dexy was a bit of a surprise for me. Apart from Gino and Come on Eileen, I don't think I could name one other song by them. Both good at parties though.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2018, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
Never heard of that artist (Deleted) what sounds have they done then..

Anything Tom Waits does is good.
Always reminds me of my early days in dive bars and smokey rooms in the West End with some one singing in the corner . You hardly ever see the guy but the grating voice is kinda special and it goes perfectly with the scotch your drinking.

As for Manfred Man well to be honest I was more of a Paul Jones fan I thought he had a great voice.

Infact I read somewhere a while back whether its true or not that Paul Jones was the first choice of Brian Jones when he was getting the Rolling Stones together Jagger was just an alternative.
Now that is worth thinking about imagine The Stones with a charming sophisticated, well spoken singer instead of The Jagger drawl..

Yes in the words of the great Jagger himself "You Can't Always Get What You Want."
Interest about Paul Jones nearly joining the Stones, I didn't know that also. But would he have the same charisma and "gutsy balls" that made the band the "rebel" act they were portrayed as in the 60's?

Tom Waits - everyone's favourite tramp singer. If you haven't heard his 2012 album, Longfellow "Bad As Me", dig it out. It's great.

The band Deleted - a third-rate punk outfit played by John Peel a lot in 1977

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I suppose Dexy was a bit of a surprise for me. Apart from Gino and Come on Eileen, I don't think I could name one other song by them. Both good at parties though.
Their early Northern Soul covers were great. Love their cover of Van Morrison's 'Jackie Wilson Said'. Famously played on TOTP with a backdrop of darts player Jockey Wilson lol.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2018, 02:53 PM

No.197: Marc Almond / Soft Cell

Hailing from Leeds, Almond first came to prominence as the vocal half of new romantic electronic hit-making duo Soft Cell, their name is partly included in Almond’s position in my list. An underrated songwriter in his own write, he has recorded around fifteen albums with his previous band and solo.

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

17-10-2018, 02:54 PM

No.196: Mott The Hoople / Ian Hunter

Ian Hunter’s London bawdy rock ensemble from London. Ties with David Bowie, Mick Ronson and various Faces, they hit paydirt with Bowie’s ‘All The Young Dudes’ before enjoying a patchy short-lived career. Hunter, now 80, still tours to this day.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

17-10-2018, 02:55 PM

No.195: Slade

Arguably glam rock’s biggest act (save for David Bowie and Marc Bolan of course), Wolverhampton’s bovver boys first appeared in the late 1960’s as skinheads The N’Betweeners, then Ambrose Slade before immersing themselves fully into one of the most successful groups of the early 1970’s.
Apparently the most Christmassy thing you can do is have Noddy Holder round at your house cooking your Christmas dinner! Fact.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

17-10-2018, 03:01 PM

No.194: Aerosmith

America’s answer to the Rolling Stones is undoubtedly Aerosmith. Steven Tyler and Joe Perry are almost a carbon copy in looks and sound. But since 1972, Aerosmith have made it in their own right as an enormous stadium rock act releasing many fine albums.

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

19-10-2018, 10:44 AM

I always loved Slade. I think I may have mentioned that I always wanted to be Dave Hill, not in looks but in talent. One of the first guitarists I recognised I suppose. Despite being hugely successful and recording one of the biggest selling Christmas songs of all time, I still feel they were somehow underrated; particularly Noddy who had a great voice under all the shouting.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

19-10-2018, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I always loved Slade. I think I may have mentioned that I always wanted to be Dave Hill, not in looks but in talent. One of the first guitarists I recognised I suppose. Despite being hugely successful and recording one of the biggest selling Christmas songs of all time, I still feel they were somehow underrated; particularly Noddy who had a great voice under all the shouting.
Dead right mate. They did okay though and had loads of hits. Americans would never have understood Slade though. Too British, like The Kinks or later on, Madness. But then we never really "got" Tom Petty until later on after the Travelling Wilburys, or the great Bob Seger. But I'm digressing - those acts are still to come in the list.
Noddy is definitely up there with our national treasures though
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

19-10-2018, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Dead right mate. They did okay though and had loads of hits. Americans would never have understood Slade though. Too British, like The Kinks or later on, Madness. But then we never really "got" Tom Petty until later on after the Travelling Wilburys, or the great Bob Seger. But I'm digressing - those acts are still to come in the list.
Noddy is definitely up there with our national treasures though
I agree and appears to be a thoroughly nice bloke too.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top