Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2018, 10:15 AM

Re: Feeding your local birds.

Just had 70 kg's delivered, seeds and nuts.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2018, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by MrFraggle ->
This scenario did occur to me but as Millie does not eat her kills I thought provided I was careful where I placed the poison on the balance of probability it would be safe enough. This was done weeks ago and all is well.

OK. Hope you didn't mind me saying.
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2018, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
OK. Hope you didn't mind me saying.
Of course not, why would I?
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2018, 07:06 PM

I sometimes buy Dried Mealworms as a treat, as well as seeds and peanuts. The birds love them and go crazy for the stuff, often squabbling for a place.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2018, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Mr. Fraggle, just a word of warning about baiting rats.

My oldest dog almost died several years back. I had to get her to the emergency vets at 1 o/clock in the morning.
She was vomitting blood continually.
She was put on a drip immediately but they didn't expect her to see morning.
She made it though, and is still here today to tell the tale, but if I hadn't rushed her in when I did, she'd have been a gonna.

I shall never know exactly what happened, she couldn't get to the bait (which was laid by a professional pest controller), we can only think she ate other creatures, maybe mice, that had taken the poison.

You saying about your cat catching them reminded me of how badly wrong it can go, laying bait. Please be very careful.
I was just going to post this. A friend of mine had a cat who captured a mouse who had eaten the poison. The cat died. We should use traps or the sticky paper for killing rodents.
MrFraggle
United Kingdom

14-11-2018, 10:24 AM

Thought that some of you might like the recipe and method of making the bird cake which seems to be very popular.

Dry ingredients. Top left are peanuts which need to be crushed, below that is crushed peanuts, right of that mixed seeds and above dried fruit.

I use suet rather than lard but both work.

And melted.

The tricky bit is only using enough of the above to bind the ingredients together, this will depend on how much of the dried ingredients you have in the bowl and will come with experience or practice.

I use tupperware lined with cling film as it makes it very easy to remove the cake.

The size of the bowls will depend on the feeder size so bear that in mind. I use one of these.

Fill bowls to required depth and press down into all the corners.

Place in fridge as use as required.

Any questions please do not hesitate to ask.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2018, 03:17 PM

I have copied your recipes, thanks MrFraggle. I will soon be trying this, but right now I have too much on my plate...

Nice of you to post pictures with the instructions, gives us a better understanding of what to do.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

15-11-2018, 04:06 PM

Awww, no videos today Mr. Fraggle. I was hoping to see one before I start my day. I especially favour your squirrel videos as I have squirrels also. They know to come to me when the want their breakfast.....
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

15-11-2018, 04:12 PM

MrFraggle
United Kingdom

15-11-2018, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
Awww, no videos today Mr. Fraggle. I was hoping to see one before I start my day. I especially favour your squirrel videos as I have squirrels also. They know to come to me when the want their breakfast.....
Next year I am going to spend a bit of time trying to get my six squirrel visitors to interact with me.
As for videos, been down with man flu so you can imagine how seriously ill I have been?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top