Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 01:31 PM

Re: Are we cruel to fish?

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I don't even like to see fish in tanks going round and round for our pleasure. I do like to eat fish, not sure I'll carry on after reading this thread though.

I'm with you tess. I am not sure I can do it anymore. I am very sensitive.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I don't even like to see fish in tanks going round and round for our pleasure. I do like to eat fish, not sure I'll carry on after reading this thread though.

I know what you mean Tess.

They've actually got quite a large tank at my vets, but still those fish can still only go so far in one direction then have to turn round and start all over again, and again.
Do you remember years ago, when people used to keep those poor goldfish in the little round bowls?

All day and every day going around the same route, over and over forever.

I suppose it is not unlike birds in cages all their life.

Dogs kept in kennels.

Rabbits kept in tiny hutches, never being able to display natural behavour, like digging and burrowing.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 02:00 AM

We had goldfish years ago. They were in a big tank and lived a few years but then a couple were left and I bought a large biorb. It's strange because one would always come up to the side of the orb and say hello when anyone would go into the kitchen. The other fish died and I thought it might be lonely and bought a second fish. It was really happy to see the other fish and it seemed to teach the other fish to also hang around and say hello. So they would both swim up to the glass when anyone went towards it.

You'd think fish have no feelings but they have found that they do have memory and more intelligence than previously thought. After the fish died I have refused to have another aquarium. I've thought for some time that zoos are cruel, but I also think in many ways having pets is cruel too. Even having a dog has made me feel guilt. After all, dogs are bred for humans. They don't have a natural life with other dogs. Cats are ok though, I think that we are their pets or personal slaves.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I know what you mean Tess.

They've actually got quite a large tank at my vets, but still those fish can still only go so far in one direction then have to turn round and start all over again, and again.
Do you remember years ago, when people used to keep those poor goldfish in the little round bowls?

Dogs kept in kennels.

Rabbits kept in tiny hutches, never being able to display natural behavour, like digging and burrowing.
Oh Mups, you are a real animal lover just like me. You are sure opening my eyes about a lot of things. Thank you...

I'll never go to a zoo again, there are a lot of things I will never do again, now that I have been reading this thread...things I just didn't think about before.

The poor animals, they have feelings.....and the damn humans are so bloody mean.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 11:54 AM

Realist, you say you abhor angling, but then go on to describe how you stab a screwdriver into a live creature's brain because you consider yourself humane.

How have you obtained these live critters if you abhor angling?
Sorry for delay in responding, I missed this post.

I've never killed a creature myself by the method I described there, i.e. a sharp spike between the eyes. I saw in described and done on a TV program, with a celebrity chef (Ramsey or Pierre White).

The last time I actually engaged in fishing I was about 14-16 yrs old. Didn't know any better at that time.

Nevertheless I know that the quickest and most humane way to dispatch a fish is a sharp rap on the head in the right place. It's knocks the fish unconscious instantly. Even that takes some skill though.

Commercial large scale fishing is a different matter. What trawlermen do is sadly barbaric, no question. I won't go into it here but suffice to say that humane methods need to be developed for the humane dispatching of mass volumes of small fish.

There's some content in the link below from the RSPCA regarding fish which confirms the spiking and head rapping methods as being the most humane.

https://kb.rspca.org.au/what-is-the-...ating_451.html
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 12:04 PM

Dogs kept in kennels.

And I'm in total agreement with you here.

I've seen many animals treated horribly like that.

Firstly, NO BIRD should ever be kept in a cage. It is the cruellest thing you can do to an animal that has the ability to fly freely. Why little Grannies insist on budgies in tiny cages is beyond me. Why Yorkshiremen keep pigeons locked away in coops and only let them out occasionally, just so they can race them is also bizarre behaviour. Then again, the stupid bird always fly home so I guess it's their own lookout.

Then there are people who keep dogs shut away in tiny huts or fenced off areas down the garden. It is barbaric. It is literally a prison for the animal and has massive mental impact to it. I've seen it done and it breaks my heart.

We can apply the same things to almost any "pet".

What I personally believe should happen is that any human that wishes to keep an animal out of the wild, should first have to endure for a period of no shorter than a week, the same conditions they intend to subject the animal to.

So if it is a bird, lock them in a cage on their own for a week.
For a dog, lock them in the garage or hut for a week and only take them outside for a 5 min walk once a day etc.

To be honest there is so much animal cruelty occurring that we should really enforce some level of animal training qualification for anyone desiring to keep a pet.

I should say that I don't have any pets at all and likely never will. I know I couldn't devote the time they would need and I'd rather see animals in their natural environment.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top