Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 11:13 AM

Re: Brexit NI Backstop Resolution Proposal

We don't need a 'backstop' because we don't need any changes to the border between southern and northern Ireland as I already said in a post yesterday.
All this hype about the border is a lot of political nonsense .

We already have a border between Ireland and Northern Ireland which is policed among other things to prevent criminal activity, smuggling, drugs and for tax purposes. Nothing else is required by any person using logic.

The hope was we would negotiate a trade deal with the EU so there would be 'frictionless trade' on the border but that can't be done before we have formally left the EU.

Even without a trade deal why would anyone assume that because we have the left the EU our standards would become lower than theirs allowing poor quality goods or diseased animals to cross into the EU. It's a nonsense.
As to tariffs , it should not be difficult to pre order goods cross border and even check them away from the border and pay any tarriffs and taxes due. A lot of the goods will be regular repeat orders anyway that is the nature of trade.

If we leave with no deal we will have the £38 billion settlement we would have paid to the EU in addition to the payment we no longer have to pay to the EU to put in any necessary technology to provide additional checks on the border but I really can't see why there is so much fuss about the border.

Lord Trimble one of the architects of the Good Friday Agreement has said there is no need for a hard border likewise Jon Thompson, Chief Executive and Permanent Secretary of HMRC.
He points out that the British Government has been clear that it is not going to put any infrastructure on the border, referencing proposals which have already identified ways in which tariff collection and any other border checks necessary can be done “smartly” without the need for physical infrastructure at the border itself.
This echoes the views of Jon Thompson, Chief Executive and Permanent Secretary of HMRC, who affirmed that he was confident that there wouldn’t be any requirement for physical infrastructure between Ireland and Northern Ireland “whatever happens”

https://brexitcentral.com/trimble-ru...day-agreement/
If the EU want to be bloody minded they can put a few thousand people across the farmland and coast of Northern Ireland to impose their border ..

It is time people in power on all sides stopped running around like headless chickens and applied a little common sense. If there was a genuine willingness for everyone involved to sort out this little problem it would be sorted.
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I don't understand the backstop thing .
Who cares about Ireland ?
Why is it so important?
If they want to trade with us let them otherwise let them build a border wall .
will it interfere with their traveling pig scam or has that already been stopped?
Really! Part of the reason for this whole mess is a complete lack of knowledge of the political makeup of the other nations of the U.K. particularly NI relationship with Ireland. The new Irish Secretary didn’t know that NI voters largely vote on sectarian grounds for pity’s sake.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by weedeek ->
Really! Part of the reason for this whole mess is a complete lack of knowledge of the political makeup of the other nations of the U.K. particularly NI relationship with Ireland. The new Irish Secretary didn’t know that NI voters largely vote on sectarian grounds for pity’s sake.

Hi

I have to disagree.

We promised an open Border in NI, we did this knowing that it would cost us money.

Varadkar threatened to veto the whole lot in pursuit of his aim of a United Ireland.

The backstop is the only thing stopping our Parliament agreeing to our Prime Ministers proposed deal.

Varadkar is blackmailing us, he knows a No Deal will severely damage our economy for several years.

I will not be blackmailed.

We should simply tell to him to back off or else we will respond in kind.

A certain bluntness works wonders when the other side is behaving like a complete prat.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 01:01 PM

I don't think we should withhold payment until they are nicer to us .
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 02:01 PM

Unfortunately, it needs someone who believes in Brexit to tell the EU the backstop is dead in the water unless it has written into it, the same rights for the UK as the EU have ensured they have, and that the 27 EU nations NEVER have the right to use the backstop if it comes into use as a leverage for blackmailing the UK. I.E. - Gibraltar and Fishing Rights.

Vague wordings such as "best endeavours" and "assurances" in the agreement mean absolutely nothing in law if the backstop kicks in. Is it any wonder the Commons rejected it. The EU must have gone off to lunch laughing their heads off after getting the Remainer Vicar's daughter to sign it off.

It's no use Theresa tinkering around the edges with weasel wording from the EU. We need someone in charge now who believes in delivering the Brexit vote. and tell the EU they had better start respecting the UK, grow up and start cooperating. They have had it all their own way for too long since 2016. 27 against 1? and we had a remainer fighting our corner? Hilarious if it wasn't so sad.

The EU certainly got their wish in the UK being humiliated, but it wasn't at their hands. It was our own greedy, self-serving, careerist pro-EU loving b.....s in our own Parliament. As UJ would use the word, scumbags, the lot of them!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 02:27 PM

Hi

We voted leave, I voted Leave, I would do so again.

We took the decision to Leave, the EU are looking after themselves, I cannot blame them for that.

It will be the same in every Trade Deal we do in the future, it is dog eat dog.

I can only hope that we do not have the same people in charge of negotiations in future.

They are soddin useless.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->

Vague wordings such as "best endeavours" and "assurances" in the agreement mean absolutely nothing in law if the backstop kicks in. Is it any wonder the Commons rejected it. The EU must have gone off to lunch laughing their heads off after getting the Remainer Vicar's daughter to sign it off.

The EU certainly got their wish in the UK being humiliated, but it wasn't at their hands. It was our own greedy, self-serving, careerist pro-EU loving b.....s in our own Parliament. As UJ would use the word, scumbags, the lot of them!
The EU need not humiliate you. With your choice to leave the EU you made yourself the laughing stock of the world. Even your colonies don't respect you anymore. It will take decades before the UK regains a bit of credibility. As you know, respect comes by foot and leaves by horse.
186Peter2694
New Member!
West Midlands, UK
186Peter2694 is male 

12-12-2018, 11:51 PM

Many thanks for all the interest and for the helpful comments, it's appreciated. Could I ask you to let me know whether you see anything wrong with the proposal - the reason I ask is because it seems a straightforward way of resolving the Backstop issue but I don't recall any politician ever mentioning it - odd because it seems obvious unless there is some major flaw! To summarise, under the Backstop section in the Withdrawal Agreement Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK are treated differently and the DUP in NI can't accept this, which is understandable - so, therefore, extend the NI arrangements to the rest of the UK - the DUP would accept that. The other issue is that any one of the 27 Member States can block a free trade deal and any one of the Member States can also block our exit from the Backstop if it were ever triggered. By extending the NI arrangement to the rest of the UK we would continue to get the benefits of the Customs Union and the Single Market (because that is what NI will be getting to make sure there is no hard border between the North and South of Ireland). The EU has said it is very unlikely the Backstop would need to be triggered - in which case, what is their problem in agreeing the proposal? If other Member States wanted to try to blackmail the UK, for example, by saying they won't let us exit the Backstop until we agreed to their fishing demands (France) or Gibraltar (Spain) they wouldn't get much support in the EU because the UK would be enjoying the benefits of the Customs Union and Single Market while achieving its other aims of controlling our borders, our laws and our money. The proposal tips the balance more in the UK's favour because, at present, we would be at the mercy of any one of the 27. Sorry to go on but I would really appreciate it if you can see any flaws in the proposal because, as I've said, I don't recall it ever being put forward by any politician.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2018, 12:07 AM

I suggest you mail your proposal to all parties if any see the benefits, it will be embraced and utilized. May I wish you good luck and succes?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top