Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2018, 06:32 AM

Re: Evil but talented? Can you separate one from the other?

What a brilliant thread, TessA!

The more we know about medicine and return to the minds and deeds of the troubled geniuses we start to see patterns.

As for evil, I think it only exists from the calculated decisions of a rational mind. When Edison was killing puppies to prove electricity was dangerous, that seems pretty evil to me.

Is it the same mechanisms in the brain that heighten talent also cause debilitating diseases and conditions?

Sometimes.

Ask Beethoven, Michelangelo, Newton, Da Vinci who suffered from such diseases that look like now as autism, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and ADD. Ask Gobel, Einsteins good friend who starved to death as a result of depression or encephalopathy.

Is it worth the gift (Like "The Scream" and what you give to the world to suffer so?

And why don't we recognize it in delusional leaders?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2018, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by basser ->
I like Van Gogh art work but he cut off his ear, now that's really wicked.
He had Tinitus and depression that was driving him mad poor man .

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2100.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	8170  
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2018, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
If a person had a particular talent that was admired but, then the World found out that they had done something dreadful, is it OK to say you still admire their talent?

I'm thinking of Rolf Harris's art, Gary Glitter's music, Caravaggio who murdered someone but was a fantastic artist and so many more...

Would you admit to liking an evil genius' work?
Of course you can separate someone's deeds from their talent. Caravaggio was a murderer - would any art gallery shred one of his paintings? Da Vinci was allegedly homosexual - would anyone have painted over the Sistine chapel ceiling because it was then considered illegal or vile?

I've never understood people's revulsion at, say, admiring Rolf Harris as a very talented painter or someone's music. Ridiculous IMO.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2018, 08:30 AM

I agree Eccles (actually I don't think Rolfs paintings were that good ) but he was a talented man in many ways and I still love his song two little boys . He did good things too which are all forgotten now .
No one is perfect and so often these wonderful artists and talents were flawed people -as we all are .
To take but three Lucien Freud ,Picasso Gauguin -none sound like the nicest of people but it doesn't detract from their greatest .
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2018, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
What a brilliant thread, TessA!

And why don't we recognize it in delusional leaders?
It would certainly come in handy if we need to have our political leaders sectioned!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

15-12-2018, 08:59 AM

Only someone with something not quite right would want to be a political leader!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2018, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
He had Tinitus and depression that was driving him mad poor man .
When I went to the Van Gogh gallery in Amsterdam I was astounded by how much his art demonstrated the mood he was in at the time he painted it. The ones that were painted in his "dark times" actually made me feel afraid or tearful..... and I am no art critic!

I believe that we all have talents so I cannot see a reason why we shouldn't enjoy a persons talent... even if they are a criminal or mentally unbalanced.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

15-12-2018, 09:28 AM

Poor Vincent his paintings got more and more desperate leading up to when he shot himself .
He quite literally painted the black cloud that hung over him .

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2101.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	8171  
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2018, 09:30 AM

I'm not really talking about people with mental illnesses, rather about wicked deeds. Those with mental conditions can't help being ill but those who are sane can help doing wicked things.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2018, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Does Tony Blair paint?

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top