Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2018, 10:17 AM

Rescuing People who put themselves in danger.

Another sailor had to be rescued in the middle of the ocean.

Is it fair on those who also put their lives at risk when people have to be rescued when they get into difficulties?

I don't mean we should let them die but should they be allowed to do it in the first place? They often say they will attempt to do it again. Should they have to pay the costs of the rescue?

They get stuck up mountains, lost in jungles, upside down in the ocean!

Is this the daring-do of explorers in the past? If do do they need to do it to help us discover or understand things about our World?

What do you think?

(I've got it about me s'mornin', thinking too much!)
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2018, 10:59 AM

Re: Rescuing People who put themselves in danger.

Anyone who does solo round the world yachting wants their heads seeing too IMO.

I supose people feel obliged to rescue them can't just let them die although they do on Everest .
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2018, 11:04 AM

Very selfish people I think.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2018, 11:08 AM

Just so thoughtless of others Pure selfishness .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2018, 11:14 AM

I have always wondered about this when you hear of these people who go crawling about down Pot-Holes too.

How far do you take this though?
You could say the same about people like Lewis Hamilton hairing around race tracks, not only putting himself in danger, but other drivers and onlookers too!
And these people who do high-wire walking across gorges, parachutists - all sorts of things people get up to.

I prefer to stay relatively safe with me feet on the ground thanks.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2018, 11:15 AM

I've always thought people who undertake these dangerous activities should have to take out insurance policies to cover possible rescue missions .... it's crazy that tax payers have to foot the bill.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2018, 11:37 AM

We comment on it all the time here. yeah, it's fine if someone wants to climb Nevis but don't expect others to put their lives at risk to save you when it goes wrong. Of course, the mountain rescue people do and they a great job they do of it. Personally though, i think it is unfair.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2018, 11:56 AM

Most mountain rescue and cave rescue folk are rock climbers, mountaineers and/or cavers themselves. If they weren't rescuing someone, they would be out on the hills/down the caves themselves. They know that their hobby has risks and by being part of a rescue team, they are putting something back into the sport that they love. Same with the RNLI - they are mostly fishermen and/or experienced sailors themselves. What gets their goat isn't experienced, well-equipped people who get into trouble, but the idiots who go out on the hills, down a cave or out to sea ill-equipped, inexperienced, inappropriately dressed, and unprepared for the rapidly changing weather conditions our climate might throw at them. It isn't the experienced climber, caver or seaman that the rescuers resent, but the idiot who climbs a rock face or mountain in T-Shirt, shorts and trainers, who paddles out to sea in a lilo, or who goes down a cave without the appropriate equipment.
I've never been part of a rescue team, but I have brought down several people suffering from exposure after getting caught on an 'easy' mountain walk by torrential rain and high winds while wearing only light summer gear. In those conditions, body heat can be lost very quickly and without the extra jumpers and waterproofs we carried as standard equipment, the people involved might well have experienced a much worse outcome.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2018, 12:04 PM

I guess you can ask should the rescue services help those who crash a car because it was their choice to get into a dangerous contraption that kills many around the world.

Climbing mountains, sailing the world, going into space, exploring the world and pushing human boundaries is what we do. It would be simply awful if that was curtailed. The whole safety culture has already damaged childhood.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2018, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
Most mountain rescue and cave rescue folk are rock climbers, mountaineers and/or cavers themselves. If they weren't rescuing someone, they would be out on the hills/down the caves themselves. They know that their hobby has risks and by being part of a rescue team, they are putting something back into the sport that they love.
Exactly, it's what makes their lives worth living.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top