Join for free
Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2016, 09:43 AM

Re: Sugar In Yoghurt

It's all the running around like a demented loon afterwards that keeps her thin.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2016, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
There is no doubt it is hard to avoid, but the secret is to avoid it where ever possible, not add any sugar to your drinks and food.
Totally agree. Some people shrug off the sugars found in ordinary foods like yoghurt, chopped tomatoes and juices, but every day, it all adds up and by the end of that day people will have consumed many many teaspoons of sugar. Mostly, people remain addicted, in denial. Like any drug, it's hard to come off, and difficult to eradicate from your life. I find it difficult too. What I do is avoid the products that have sugar in them and make my own. I make large quantities of tomato passata/sauce for example by simply cooking fresh tomatoes with garlic and basil then freeze them in batches.
I don't put sugar in any hot drinks at all. When I want sugar I take it purposefully in the form of a bun or cake, a treat that I can enjoy for what it is and know what it is. This way I control the sugar rather than sugar controlling me.
Parvaty
New Member!
Toronto, Canada
Parvaty is female 

27-05-2016, 09:26 AM

Do you know any good recipe of home-made youghurt?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2016, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Parvaty ->
Do you know any good recipe of home-made youghurt?
It's not hard. Heat milk to about 92'C (looks foamy) cool quickly then add plain live yoghurt at no higher than 35 to 40'C.

Keep warm for a day (stick in an esky).
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2016, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Heat milk to about 92'C
When you say milk do you mean the pasteurised stuff that has had all the goodness, nutrients and beneficial organisms boiled out of it?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2016, 11:26 AM

I don't see why they add sugar to yoghurt with fruit in it, or fruit juices either.
If they stopped putting sugar in things they'd only replace it with sweeteners, which are worse for you than sugar and I can't tolerate those so I wouldn't be able to buy any.
I've got a nice crop of strawberries this year so if anyone knows of a good yoghurt recipe I can make without sugar or sweeteners let me know please!x
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2016, 11:45 AM

Make your own - it's easy and much healthier than what you buy in the shops as those are just chemical laden/processed crap now.

Here's my recipe:

- Heat milk to when it just starts to boil - then turn it down to simmer for 15 mins.

- Cool milk so that it is 'warm' (too hot and it will kill the good bacteria)

- Stir in 5% of live yoghurt

- Put in a jar with a lid some place warm (like top of fridge or or a radiator on frost setting) for 24 hours

- Put the jar in fridge for at least 6 hours to set

Notes

- If you can, use fresh raw milk, if not currently the best supermarket milk is Dutchy's full fat milk from Waitrose. It is pasteurised but not homogenised.

- Starter yogurt. Experiment with different ones (should be organs tho) and avoid the ones with the 'bif' family of bacteria (as the are colonisers) but experiment to begin with you can always go hardcore later
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2016, 11:47 AM

I agree that sugar is the devil. Avoid avoid avoid!

I would even give fruit a wide berth (berries are much better for you).
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2016, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
I agree that sugar is the devil. Avoid avoid avoid!

I would even give fruit a wide berth (berries are much better for you).

Azz matey, you cannot avoid sugar, yoghurt is made from milk and milk contains Lactose (a natural sugar) so even before any sugar is added by processed manufacturers there is sugar already in it. Adding berries will increase the amount of sugar by their 'natural sugar' (Fructose).
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

27-05-2016, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Azz matey, you cannot avoid sugar, yoghurt is made from milk and milk contains Lactose (a natural sugar) so even before any sugar is added by processed manufacturers there is sugar already in it. Adding berries will increase the amount of sugar by their 'natural sugar' (Fructose).
In real yoghurt much of the lactose is broken down by the bacteria - I am lactose intolerant but I can eat home-made yoghurt

Natural sugars are generally fine, such as from vegetables - but avoid commercial fruit because they are nothing like fruit that our ancestors ate (and even then they were rare treats).

Unfortunately sugar feeding of crops is becoming more and more widespread too.

Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top