Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 04:47 PM

Re: Oh Yeah! WW2, What was life like back then?

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Yes, I think that rationing went on into the 50s.

I do remember the "ways round it".

Doctors visiting local farms might come away with meat, instead of money, and pass some of it on the patients on their rounds.

The local Rock shop would break up sticks of rock & chocolate because broken goods weren't subject to rationing.

I think things came off rationing piecemeal as they became more available over time. My brother had a ration card issued when he was born in '51, but I didn't when I was born in '54.
I think rationing ended completely in '53.

My parents married in '46 and their wedding cake was made using donations from friends and family who would give anything they could spare. A handful of raisins here, a few cherries there, half a cup of sugar somewhere else, and so on.
Granny kept chooks so eggs were never a problem.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
On a different topic, there were postings suggesting that some "History" would be worth a spin, on the Forum.

One thing, which those interested in the UK History of how life was during WW2, might like to have a look at is here:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/categories/

This is a set of short written descriptions of experiences of the lives of ordinary people during that time.

Over 40,000 accounts.

Mostly written quite a while ago.

I have one in there, but I'll not say which!

You might be surprised to find a record from your own family, in there!
Thanks for the link, it's a very interesting site. I was born after the war ended, but have been told stories by various family members, as well as one amazing story told by the lovely chap in the next bed to me in hospital in the eighties.
He had been a fireman during the blitz and told me about a weekend raid on Bristol.
Starlight7
New Member!
Melbourne, Australia
Starlight7 is female 

08-02-2021, 06:59 AM

My parents were both in the RAF. Dad was flying in planes as a navigator bomber and he was certainly lucky to survive. Almost all his mates were killed. Mum used to start shaking if she heard a loud noise as a result of the London blitz that she was in. They were both quite damaged in different ways, looking back. I was born just after the war ended.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top