Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 11:20 PM

Re: Food poisoning

Get well soon Minx. We need your sunny self here! I was best man for my brother when he got married (for the third time). My nephew (his son from the first time around who is only 7 years younger than me an also my closest friend in the world) and I sat up till the wee hours the night before getting our speeches just right. We ordered a seafood pizza and crashed. The next morning we felt a little off but put it down to the beer or six we had with the pizza the night before. It was a morning wedding and by the time 11 am came round we were ready to heave. Bad baby clams will do that do you. Greg, said nephew got through it OK but I had to excuse myself from the wedding party twice to go and throw up. Then I had to sit down and just look at the amazing wedding feast all day. I couldn't eat a thing and was told I looked green.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Me too, Tabby.
Never felt so ill in me life.

The Doc confirmed it after test results.
I can believe it, Mups. One of the strangest side effects since having Campylobacter is I can no longer drink coffee. Weird.
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 12:00 PM

Hope you feel better soon Minx
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 12:24 PM

Awful for you. Keep warm and snug x
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 12:58 PM

Minx, when I had it for that long period, I was at my GP three times, and they flatly refused ABs. I’d been given them before for food poisoning and knew they worked. So they let me remain ill for all that time. The sickness was off and on and eventually after 2.5 weeks I was back there, seeing the very same GP who had refused. Her words? ‘You don’t look well, I’m sending you to hospital.’ Oh hallelujah!!!!!!

She called the ED and then typed out a letter which I took with me. I was then fast tracked from the waiting area, but all they did was attach a drip, which kept setting off the alarm every time I went to the loo. I was put into a side room, was freezing cold, the cannula was put into my elbow, and at 6.30am was taken to AAU. I had my own room and bathroom, and a proper bed and blankets, but was disturbed all day and the following night with the OBs. But they did put me on two different ABs immediately and by that afternoon I was begging for some food. I was, at last, recovering.

I had to see the GP again the following week for something else and smugly told her I had ABs, but forgot to mention the three saline bags.

What made me so angry was I knew what was wrong with me, and what could help make it better, but no...they thought better.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Minx, didn't your doctor send a sample away for testing before he disgnosed???

Take it easy, and I hope you're on the mend again soon.
No Mups. No sample taken, no bloods. I didn’t even see him physically. It was a virtual consult. I knew exactly what was wrong with me though.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I guess the doctor was being cautious. Diarrhoea is a less common symptom of covid. A friend had it but he also had hallucinations and a high fever.

I hope you are feeling better Minx. I last had food poisoning courtesy of a Premier inn salad back in 2002. I think I was diagnosed with norovirus. I also had it a couple of times in the 80s. Once from pork chops when I didn't really know how to cook. It's really horrible. You have my sympathies.

Black tea with no sugar and toast is the best x
Thanks Annie! I’m glad you know how to cook now!
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

28-01-2021, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I hope you are feeling better Minx, getting anything wrong with you while Covid is doing the rounds can make it very difficult to get a proper diagnosis over the phone, and even harder to get the treatment that you need.

Prawns are Foxy's nemesis, they have the same effect as Green Kryptonite has on Superman. It took me several bouts of crippling illness before it became apparent it was the prawns that done it....I can eat every other type of seafood, including shrimps and scampy, so it's quite a mystery why it's just prawns that my body rejects....
Thanks sly old grey fox. Almost myself again. I agree, it’s not the best time to be sick right now. I’ve developed a mild allergic reaction to shellfish as I’ve grown older. I hear it’s quite common.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

28-01-2021, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Get well soon Minx. We need your sunny self here! I was best man for my brother when he got married (for the third time). My nephew (his son from the first time around who is only 7 years younger than me an also my closest friend in the world) and I sat up till the wee hours the night before getting our speeches just right. We ordered a seafood pizza and crashed. The next morning we felt a little off but put it down to the beer or six we had with the pizza the night before. It was a morning wedding and by the time 11 am came round we were ready to heave. Bad baby clams will do that do you. Greg, said nephew got through it OK but I had to excuse myself from the wedding party twice to go and throw up. Then I had to sit down and just look at the amazing wedding feast all day. I couldn't eat a thing and was told I looked green.
Thanks Keezoy. Almost myself again!

What a tale of woe! Seafood is definitely a trigger for food poisoning but perhaps there was a slight element of alcohol poisoning involved as well. You poor thing - I’m sure unrelated people thought that you were just hungover !

I hope your speech hit the right note! I hope they’re happily married!
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

28-01-2021, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Minx, when I had it for that long period, I was at my GP three times, and they flatly refused ABs. I’d been given them before for food poisoning and knew they worked. So they let me remain ill for all that time. The sickness was off and on and eventually after 2.5 weeks I was back there, seeing the very same GP who had refused. Her words? ‘You don’t look well, I’m sending you to hospital.’ Oh hallelujah!!!!!!

She called the ED and then typed out a letter which I took with me. I was then fast tracked from the waiting area, but all they did was attach a drip, which kept setting off the alarm every time I went to the loo. I was put into a side room, was freezing cold, the cannula was put into my elbow, and at 6.30am was taken to AAU. I had my own room and bathroom, and a proper bed and blankets, but was disturbed all day and the following night with the OBs. But they did put me on two different ABs immediately and by that afternoon I was begging for some food. I was, at last, recovering.

I had to see the GP again the following week for something else and smugly told her I had ABs, but forgot to mention the three saline bags.

What made me so angry was I knew what was wrong with me, and what could help make it better, but no...they thought better.
I truly cannot understand why doctors don’t listen to patients. I had my temperature checked, blood pressure, oximeter and pulse checked and provided the pictures to him virtually. I told him exactly what the culprit was. I only had a small portion of it but my body reacted very quickly. Within two hours I was hurling my guts out. All I needed was the correct antibiotics for the lectin toxin.

Like you, I experienced a case of food poisoning when I was 22. That landed me in hospital on drips and on antibiotics so I know the feeling well. It’s the tummy ache that’s unbearable.

I bet your GP still thinks she knows better!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top