Join for free
Page 471 of 505 « First < 371 421 461 469 470 471 472 473 481 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 01:22 PM

Re: Chinese Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
No I don't. You just make these "facts" up.
Says the bloke who lives at the other side of the world....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Says the bloke who lives at the other side of the world....
Seriously? That's your answer?

Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
So? That doesn't change the fact that Covid has not yet been present in the UK for 12 months nor does the UK have two winters a year.
Actually Bruce, when Foxy said almost 2 winters, he wasn't talking about the time we call winter!
You may not be aware, as you don't live here, but we have had the really cold weather between December and April over recent years... then it suddenly gets warmer!
Covid came to Britain early January 1920 but wasn't declared till March when we were put into lock down.
We have also been told that we should expect this virus to continue as people often do not show symptoms for a couple of weeks and then the very serious cases can result in death, while they are receiving treatment in hospital over the next few weeks.
It is the cold weather, not the season , that makes people unable to survive... and I believe that is why Foxy said " almost 2 winters".
If people in warm countries suffered more, I would be concerned for the people in Australia ( as I was when you had the bush fires). Surely a topic like this is not a place to start arguing about the wording of a members post, it is a time to show compassion for any human who is liable to suffer death!
Shouldn't we all work together to preserve the human race, rather than making it a competition ?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Actually Bruce, when Foxy said almost 2 winters, he wasn't talking about the time we call winter!
You may not be aware, as you don't live here, but we have had the really cold weather between December and April over recent years... then it suddenly gets warmer!
Covid came to Britain early January 1920 but wasn't declared till March when we were put into lock down.
We have also been told that we should expect this virus to continue as people often do not show symptoms for a couple of weeks and then the very serious cases can result in death, while they are receiving treatment in hospital over the next few weeks.
It is the cold weather, not the season , that makes people unable to survive... and I believe that is why Foxy said " almost 2 winters".
If people in warm countries suffered more, I would be concerned for the people in Australia ( as I was when you had the bush fires). Surely a topic like this is not a place to start arguing about the wording of a members post, it is a time to show compassion for any human who is liable to suffer death!
Shouldn't we all work together to preserve the human race, rather than making it a competition ?
I bet he comes back to you about your posting "1920"!

Never mind. We all make mistakes. Even I make mistakes!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 03:54 PM

How embarrassing. Check out the bookcase at the back of Yvette Amos. (The redhead)

Will post the link rather than the video - don't want to upset the sensitive types or those without a sense of humour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-eesm-KeTk
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
How embarrassing. Check out the bookcase at the back of Yvette Amos. (The redhead)

Will post the link rather than the video - don't want to upset the sensitive types or those without a sense of humour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-eesm-KeTk
Is that what I think it is?
Or is it, perhaps, one of a pair of bookends?
As you say, how embarrassing!
I wonder whether one of her friends has mentioned the oversight to her. And why keep it there?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I bet he comes back to you about your posting "1920"!

Never mind. We all make mistakes. Even I make mistakes!
Well if that is the only thing he can find wrong I am glad I can relieve his boredom!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 11:45 PM

Absolutely fascinating analysis by the Lowy Institute of Covid in 100 countries. it studied what effect geography, political systems, population size and economic development had on Covid outcomes around the world

https://interactives.lowyinstitute.o...d-performance/

They look a how well different countries have handled the Covid Pandemic.

According to their analysis the top five countries are:

New Zealand
Vietnam
Taiwan
Thailand
Cyprus

Definitely well worth a read.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

28-01-2021, 05:34 AM

Covid data for Thursday, 28 January 2021

Global Cases: 101,438,029
Increase: 613,324
Global Deaths: 2,184,216
Increase: 17,203

Australia
Cases 28,793 Change: 8
Deaths 909 Change: 0
Critical
Cases per Million 1,122

UK
Cases 3,715,054 Change: 25,308
Deaths 101,887 Change: 1,725
Critical 3,961
Cases per Million 54,560

USA
Cases 26,166,201 Change: 154,979
Deaths 439,517 Change: 4,065
Critical 25,848
Cases per Million 78,786

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 01:30 PM

As I see it, every country has its own particular set of circumstances why the virus acts like it does.
For example: Australia's death rates and infection stats are very impressive, however, I don't think it's all down to the strict and swift action by the authorities.

Australia is in a unique position miles away from anywhere, and visitors can easily be controlled and quarantined, there isn't all that many visitors compared to the UK and Europe.
The UK on the other hand has thousands of lorries visiting the country daily, and permeating to the four corners of the mainland to supply just about everything we need (and a few things we don't need like Covid) since most of our stuff comes from abroad instead of being produced in house. Most of Europe operates in a similar way, making the spread of the virus from country to country far easier than it would be in a country virtually isolated in the South Pacific.

The population of Australia lives around the edges of the country, which is divided into states, and each state seems to be independent of each other, making it far easier to isolate and contain the virus.

As discussed before, the climate is not conducive to the spread of the virus, so it becomes far easier to keep the spread under control. There is also the vitamin D connection, due to the outdoor living style of our antipodean friends, the downside of this though, is the extremely high levels of skin cancer in Australia. Even though the figures are low in Aus, the bulk of those figures occurred during their winter. So before some Australians start patting themselves on the back, they should consider some of the real reasons why the figures are as they are.

I don't think it takes an expensive and labour intensive investigation to discover the things I have mentioned. Common sense really.

Page 471 of 505 « First < 371 421 461 469 470 471 472 473 481 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top