Join for free
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2020, 02:08 PM

New Desktop Time : Dell XPS 8930

My aging Acer PCs are still providing reasonable service but I'm idly thinking of a replacement, e.g.:

Dell XPS 8930 Tower Desktop Intel Core i5-9400 9th Gen, 6-Core, 9 MB Cache, Up to 4.1 GHz, 8 GB DDR4 Memory, 256 GB SSD (Boot) + 1 TB SATA Hard Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650, Windows 10, Black

I've never used Dell PCs but they've been around for a long time. Are they any good .....
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2020, 04:04 PM

Re: New Desktop Time : Dell XPS 8930

I have owned several DELL laptops and all have served me well. The one I'm typing from right now is a DELL 17" and having just converted it to SDD and doubled its RAM I am very pleased with it, although it was excellent before
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2020, 04:13 PM

I wouldn't have the Windows 10 version but, there again, I'm just a biased, cantankerous old git.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2020, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
I have owned several DELL laptops and all have served me well. The one I'm typing from right now is a DELL 17" and having just converted it to SDD and doubled its RAM I am very pleased with it, although it was excellent before
Thanks for your reply .....

The XPS 8930 has several atractive features but one that caught my eye was a swing-out power supply unit that allows easy access to the chassis, enabling the user to expand and upgrade things like graphics and memory to meet specific needs.

Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

15-12-2020, 01:51 PM

I've just ordered a New XPS Tower :
  • 8GB, 1x8GB, DDR4, 2933MHz
  • 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD +1TB SATA 7200 RPM HDD
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1660 Ti 6GB GDDR6

With a 24" monitor and wireless keyboard/mouse. To be shipped tomorrow.

Additionally, I've ordered a pair of Creative GigaWorks T20 Series II (2.0) Multimedia Speakers. To be delivered tomorrow.

I expect to be impressed (and kept busy over Christmas) .....
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2020, 07:58 PM

Very nice Omah, I hope you get a lot of pleasure out of it.
As with most computers, there is more computing power in that than we mere mortals will ever really need.

May I very politely suggest ugrading the RAM to 16GB, while it's so cheap too - an 8GB stick of 2933 DDR4 Kingston Value Ram is £38 on Amazon and having more memory will not only make the computer more responsive (faster if you like) but is better future-proofing for Windoze too as it eats ever-more resources.
(That is if you use Windows, of course.)
It's really easy to fit too, there must be loads of videos showing how.

Don't let people try and tell you that you need the same brand for any reason, like to get the benefits of dual-channel architecture (which basically makes things even faster) because even Intel tell us that is not true, so a different brand to the one already fitted is fine.

Either way, you enjoy it.
I'm quite jealous because I love desktop computing, but sadly I'm going to have to resort to a laptop in the near future purely for reasons relating to health.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top