Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2020, 12:18 AM

Does anyone remember?

Something I was reading earlier today reminded me of something that I can only vaguely remember from when I was very young. It was in some shops; perhaps the Co-op. You would pay for whatever you were buying, and the assistant would put the money into a container, which she would then put into a tube, and send it whizzing off to some other part of the shop. After a short while, the container would come whizzing back with your change in it. I seem to remember finding those things a bit frightening. Thinking back on it now, it was like a crude version of email, but much noisier and not at all virtual
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2020, 12:21 AM

Re: Does anyone remember?

I remember that from when I was just a little kid, Harbal.
I can only remember one shop Mum took me in that used to do it.
The little contracption used to run along a wire across the shop didn't it.
Gosh, that takes me back. Showing our age arent we.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2020, 12:24 AM

Yes I remember two kinds of contraptions. The vacuum tube and the wire and spring system. I suppose it was for security having all cash in one more secure location. Like lift drivers, a thing of the past.

The vacuum system lasted far longer than the wire and spring in my experience as I recall some older department stores still using them toward the end of the 20th century
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2020, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I remember that from when I was just a little kid, Harbal.
I can only remember one shop Mum took me in that used to do it.
The little contracption used to run along a wire across the shop didn't it.
Gosh, that takes me back. Showing our age arent we.
It was probably cutting edge technology at the time, Mups.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2020, 12:25 AM

I remember that too.... and yes it was the Co-op.

Fascinating things they were, especially when they came whizzing back along the wire and they emptied your exact change from them.

Those were the days!
Harbal
South Yorkshire

17-12-2020, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Like lift drivers, a thing of the past.
And petrol pump attendants who filled your tank for you. You didn't even have to get out of the car.
Harbal
South Yorkshire

17-12-2020, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I remember that too.... and yes it was the Co-op.

Fascinating things they were, especially when they came whizzing back along the wire and they emptied your exact change from them.

Those were the days!
I wonder if there were ever any injuries.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2020, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
I wonder if there were ever any injuries.
Only if you didn't duck your head when it flew overhead!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2020, 12:35 AM

Yes, I do remember those. Our local grocery come general store, Walton, Hassell & Port had one. I can remember being fascinated by the way it whizzed of to the cashier then came back with the change. Far more fun that waving a card over a machine, I think.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2020, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Yes, I do remember those. Our local grocery come general store, Walton, Hassell & Port had one. I can remember being fascinated by the way it whizzed of to the cashier then came back with the change. Far more fun that waving a card over a machine, I think.

Gosh, there's a name I haven't heard for years too, Tiff.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top