Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2020, 03:13 PM

Re: Sound bar

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I think that these days they do a test on you to determine where the hearing loss is and adjust the hearing aid output accordingly. I believe even the NHS ones do that.

I'd go back and ask them.
Specsavers do an adjustable digital hearing aid JB that will only amplify the frequencies that I have trouble hearing, but it costs a King's Ransom....

Incidentally, the frequencies I have trouble hearing are found in most women's speaking range (I know what you're thinking JB...) and I have difficulty hearing women newsreaders and female actresses in dramas etc....

But I find most films have rubbish soundtracks these days, and I have to ramp up the volume...
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2020, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Specsavers do an adjustable digital hearing aid JB that will only amplify the frequencies that I have trouble hearing, but it costs a King's Ransom....

Incidentally, the frequencies I have trouble hearing are found in most women's speaking range (I know what you're thinking JB...) and I have difficulty hearing women newsreaders and female actresses in dramas etc....

But I find most films have rubbish soundtracks these days, and I have to ramp up the volume...
Yes, I know exactly what you mean. You should be grateful for small mercies.

Do you have NHS hearing aids. I believe - no, I'm absolutely sure - that they now issue digital hearing aids and, for that reason, they should be adjustable for different frequencies.

Have you asked? Go on. They don't bite!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2020, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I need a sound bar in order to understand the speech on TV programmes/DVD's.

Some are ok but others I have to abandon if there are no subtitles.

Does anybody use a sound bar? Are they any good?
As well as sound quality, think about getting one that connects with an HDMI lead and has the 'ARC' feature (if your TV supports it). This makes it possible to turn the sound up and down and turn the soundbar on and off using the TV remote control.

https://www.howtogeek.com/305241/wha...port-on-my-tv/
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2020, 01:15 AM

I am sure that if you get a hearing aid it is adjusted to increase the frequencies that you can't hear well. My Medicare hearing aid was made and adjusted in the Netherlands after the hearing place tested me. It actually works very well but frankly I rarely wear it - I just turn up the TV or stereo.

My daughter has told me to bring my hearing aids when I stay at her house because she is fed up with having to repeat everything she says.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2020, 12:10 AM

In my search I came across this sound bar. It's advertising feature is 'It's not about loudness - it's about clarity'

Just what I'm looking for (I think)

I showed it to my son in law & he said 'It looks good'

I like more than one opinion..

Will you cast your eye on it and give me an opinion please?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...ZI6USTZY&psc=1
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2020, 12:57 AM

In my search I came across this sound bar. It's advertising feature is 'It's not about loudness - it's about clarity'

The 'Hearing Aid Technology' and '12 Levels of Voice Boost' sound interesting, though I don't know exactly what they are.

My only criticism is that it doesn't seem to have a sub-woofer.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2020, 09:40 AM

What does a 'sub-woofer' do JBR?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2020, 12:32 PM

What does a 'sub-woofer' do JBR?
It's a dog that likes to swim underwater Carol....

Seriously though....It's a big loudspeaker that handles all of the base below a certain frequency. Smaller speakers, the sort that you find in most TV's can't handle such low frequencies.
People like to hear those low basey notes, they are the ones that make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

31-12-2020, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
It's a dog that likes to swim underwater Carol....

Seriously though....It's a big loudspeaker that handles all of the base below a certain frequency. Smaller speakers, the sort that you find in most TV's can't handle such low frequencies.
People like to hear those low basey notes, they are the ones that make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up....
And with a good one, the bass notes really shake the floorboards when you turn up the volume! Ours does anyway.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2020, 04:01 PM

It's a lot of money for a brand nobody's heard of and that has no reviews.

If you're looking at that sort of price there's a Sony one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-HT-SD3...ronics&sr=1-11

That's an example BTW, not necessarily a suggestion.

Advantages?

The biggest is that it's supplied and sold by Amazon, not a 3rd-party seller for a start - so if you have problems in future it will be easier to sort (Amazon are v.good in my experience).

It's a known and trusted brand.
It's a very good price for the power output.
It's powerful.
It connects by HDMI (ARC) as well as optical.
It has a subwoofer.

Personally I use a receiver with 7 speakers and a huge subwoofer for my serious watching, or just a pair of decent speakers connected to an amplifier in the bedroom - but I recognise that we all have different circumstances, abilities and tastes.

I suspect that you're looking at the most suitable options for your circumstances Carol and without wishing to sound condescending in any way, I'd ask you to be wary of buying a brand like the one you link to which is what we would call a "no-make".

You might be lucky.
But it's a lot of money when you have as an alternative well-known brands like Sony and other to choose from.

If the size of the Sony worries you (and it is quite long) there are other options, like this Panasonic:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07C7HV6...c_p_m_6_i&th=1

Good luck with your quest; I hope I've helped and not hindered.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top