Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2020, 04:24 PM

Re: Sound bar

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
It's a lot of money for a brand nobody's heard of and that has no reviews.

If you're looking at that sort of price there's a Sony one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-HT-SD3...ronics&sr=1-11

That's an example BTW, not necessarily a suggestion.

Advantages?

The biggest is that it's supplied and sold by Amazon, not a 3rd-party seller for a start - so if you have problems in future it will be easier to sort (Amazon are v.good in my experience).

It's a known and trusted brand.
It's a very good price for the power output.
It's powerful.
It connects by HDMI (ARC) as well as optical.
It has a subwoofer.

Personally I use a receiver with 7 speakers and a huge subwoofer for my serious watching, or just a pair of decent speakers connected to an amplifier in the bedroom - but I recognise that we all have different circumstances, abilities and tastes.

I suspect that you're looking at the most suitable options for your circumstances Carol and without wishing to sound condescending in any way, I'd ask you to be wary of buying a brand like the one you link to which is what we would call a "no-make".

You might be lucky.
But it's a lot of money when you have as an alternative well-known brands like Sony and other to choose from.

If the size of the Sony worries you (and it is quite long) there are other options, like this Panasonic:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07C7HV6...c_p_m_6_i&th=1

Good luck with your quest; I hope I've helped and not hindered.
I agree. A known and reliable brand and, yes, I have found Amazon a very good company too.

If our sound system ever goes tits-up, that's quite likely the one we'd buy as a replacement.

It doesn't have surround sound, but then neither does ours (since I removed the side/back speakers).
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2020, 09:24 PM

Thanks for your answers everybody.

I'm particularly attracted to the unknown one - the Zvox accu voice because it mentions clarity of speech.

Yes it's unknown but they're offering 30 days free trial with money back guarantee. Amazon has been praised - well this would be brought from Amazon.

I don't see it's much of a risk - unless I have to send it back - that would be a bit of hassle I think.

I'm still deciding. A friend of mine has just bought a Yamaha src 20a. I shall wait until he has set it up & reported back to me. He has the same problem as me with the hearing.

I just need to hear from somebody who has a sound bar & can vouch it makes the actors words sound crystal clear.

If I can't get this I'll be wasting my money!!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2020, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->

I'm particularly attracted to the unknown one - the Zvox accu voice because it mentions clarity of speech.

Yes it's unknown but they're offering 30 days free trial with money back guarantee. Amazon has been praised - well this would be brought from Amazon.

I don't see it's much of a risk - unless I have to send it back - that would be a bit of hassle I think.

I'm still deciding. A friend of mine has just bought a Yamaha src 20a. I shall wait until he has set it up & reported back to me. He has the same problem as me with the hearing.

I just need to hear from somebody who has a sound bar & can vouch it makes the actors words sound crystal clear.

Just be careful.

Is it every programme which you have problems with or only some. It is a known fact that some programmes/films are poorly recorded, including sound.

On the other hand, could it be YOU!

No, I'm not being silly. When I fist got my hearing aids I was surprised how much I had been missing.

Have you considered either of these options? You could spend a lot of money and still be disappointed.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2020, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->

I understand where you're coming from because my better half has two hearing aids & is almost completely deaf in one ear.

As JBR says, please be careful.

If it helps, here is Amazon USA's page with reviews for you to peruse.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088X4TTVD/ref=emc_b_5_t

And here's an Amazon UK page with reviews for an earlier model:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ZVOX-AccuVo.../dp/B071WKGN4F

I hope that helps.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2021, 10:18 AM

Thanks very much for the reviews Zaphod.

As with all things - some are good & some are bad.

With the months free money back trial I am tempted by the no name one but still waiting for my friends opinion on the Yamaha he bought yesterday.

Alternatively I'm waiting for someone on here to tell me their own soundbar is fantastically clear & they can hear every word.

Just to add - it is not my hearing. I can hear a clock tick in a quiet room.
Some programmes, I hear the words - others I can't tell.

One example is this: I recorded 'Call the midwives' at Christmas. When we put it on to watch it, the words weren't very clear & surprisingly there were no subtitles. We're waiting for a sound bar before we can watch it.

I hear the news without subtitles & some drama's but not many.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2021, 12:54 PM

I'm glad to have helped.

As JBR has hinted at Carol, sometimes the sound quality of broadcast material isn't good and that might be contributing to your difficulties.
The sound level even varies within the same channel sometimes, as we found when watching the more-popular shows on BBC1 when - strangely - the sound level and clarity decreases.

The bar you like the look of might well help for those circumstances but I suspect that the root of your problem lays with the variation of broadcast sound quality.

I wonder if you have tried the shows like your "Call The Midwives" via BBC's iPlayer (if of course you have access to that) to see if the sound variance persists?
If you can try that, you might find that it helps.

I have to be honest and say that as a family we watch very, very little OverTheAir broadcast TV nowadays, far preferring streaming methods.
So it's a problem we don't have like we used to, but (for example) even my young son used to complain at having to turn the sound up when certain programmes were broadcast.

Whichever, I hope you find a solution that suits you.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

01-01-2021, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
I'm glad to have helped.

As JBR has hinted at Carol, sometimes the sound quality of broadcast material isn't good and that might be contributing to your difficulties.
The sound level even varies within the same channel sometimes, as we found when watching the more-popular shows on BBC1 when - strangely - the sound level and clarity decreases.

The bar you like the look of might well help for those circumstances but I suspect that the root of your problem lays with the variation of broadcast sound quality.

I wonder if you have tried the shows like your "Call The Midwives" via BBC's iPlayer (if of course you have access to that) to see if the sound variance persists?
If you can try that, you might find that it helps.

I have to be honest and say that as a family we watch very, very little OverTheAir broadcast TV nowadays, far preferring streaming methods.
So it's a problem we don't have like we used to, but (for example) even my young son used to complain at having to turn the sound up when certain programmes were broadcast.

Whichever, I hope you find a solution that suits you.
I think you are completely correct, Zaphod.

I have often said that, despite the vast improvements in sound technology since the 1960s, when I watch an old black and white programme or film from that era, people's speech is always crystal clear.
On the other hand, when watching modern productions I deplore the poor sound I often hear (even having a sound system).

I believe the problem is due to one of (or both) things:
- sound technicians are more interested in making trendy alterations to the sound, including much louder 'background' music; or
- actors who have never worked live on stage have never learnt to project their voice clearly.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

07-01-2021, 12:55 AM

Just to update this thread.

I ordered the ZVOX soundbar & the sound was brilliant. I was very pleased but then the sound started switching off every 20 minutes or so. Possibly to do with poor signals or the fact that my TV is about 10 years old.

Whatever the reason I found this too annoying so am going to send it back to Amazon tomorrow. They've sent me a free returns label so I've not lost anything and not had any hassle.

Back to square one now.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2021, 09:56 AM

First have a read of this Carol..

https://support.zvox.com/support/sol...e-watching-tv-
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

07-01-2021, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
First have a read of this Carol..

https://support.zvox.com/support/sol...e-watching-tv-
That sounds very helpful. I wonder if she read it in time!

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top