Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2021, 11:59 AM

Re: A collection of ...

Originally Posted by toners ->
Collection of Apothecary bottles.

I like those. I watch Bargain Hunt & they often buy those for the auction they are going to. Some obscurely labeled bottles are worth more than others. Have you got rare ones?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2021, 12:01 PM

The same here- I haven't used actual cash in many months- all online or contactless payments.
I haven't been able to use any change I still have either.
toners
Cheshire
toners is male  toners has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2021, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I like those. I watch Bargain Hunt & they often buy those for the auction they are going to. Some obscurely labeled bottles are worth more than others. Have you got rare ones?
I collected those quite a few years ago- usually paying a few pounds. Like you I spotted some on Bargain Hunt and was surprised at their value now.
Just a quick Google search found a set of 4 with the gold embossed label and ground glass stoppers at £399!
They are about 1900 vintage - the others are older.
I will need to get them valued I think.
The fancy Interior Decor type shops sell them at outrageous prices.
I just collected them as I used to teach Chemistry!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

15-01-2021, 02:35 PM

I collected those quite a few years ago- usually paying a few pounds. Like you I spotted some on Bargain Hunt and was surprised at their value now.
Just a quick Google search found a set of 4 with the gold embossed label and ground glass stoppers at £399!
They are about 1900 vintage - the others are older.
I will need to get them valued I think.
The fancy Interior Decor type shops sell them at outrageous prices.
I just collected them as I used to teach Chemistry!
You have some of the gold labeled ones. Nice collection.
toners
Cheshire
toners is male  toners has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2021, 03:04 PM

Thanks Tiff.

There are some smaller bottles and some old beer, wine,ink, poisons and fizzy drink bottles in a separate collection. Some of them I dug up from overgrown Victorian rubbish dumps. (The leisure of youth!) The bits of tobacco pipes came out of my garden- discarded by the Victorian builders.
Not the clearest of pictures but you can see the fizzy drink bottles that were stoppered by glass marbles. The wooden cap on one in the photo was used to push the marble down to release the fizzy pressure and pour the drink out. Called Codd bottles- hence Codd's Wallop (the drink). Of course children used to smash the bottles to get the marbles out.
At the back the very dark tall bottle is an old Geneva or Gin bottle.

Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2021, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I collect £2 coins normally but haven't used cash since last March so my pot is looking a bit low at the moment.
We collect 20p, 50p and £2 coins (but not £1 coins for some reason) in a coffee jar. When the jar is full, I bag up the coins in the required plastic bank coin bags and take them to the bank for crediting to our savings account.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2021, 03:24 PM

Thanks Tiff.

There are some smaller bottles and some old beer, wine,ink, poisons and fizzy drink bottles in a separate collection. Some of them I dug up from overgrown Victorian rubbish dumps. (The leisure of youth!) The bits of tobacco pipes came out of my garden- discarded by the Victorian builders.
Not the clearest of pictures but you can see the fizzy drink bottles that were stoppered by glass marbles. The wooden cap on one in the photo was used to push the marble down to release the fizzy pressure and pour the drink out. Called Codd bottles- hence Codd's Wallop (the drink). Of course children used to smash the bottles to get the marbles out.

I knew about the wooden stopper to release the drink from bottles with the marbles in them, but I have seen one before your picture. Thanks for that.

I was guilty of smashing a bottle to get the "glass eye or glass alley" marble out when I was a kid. They were prized, and worth more in a game of marbles, because they were clear without the usual splash of colour normal marbles had.

I have one of the bottles in a display unit, but your collection is much more impressive.
I like the medicine bottles as well.
I always wanted one of the giant bottles you sometimes see in a chemist shop window.

Ah those were the days when you could go to a chemist shop to buy chemicals to use in home experiments or make things that go bang.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

16-01-2021, 04:05 PM

Thanks Tiff.

If you have the lemonade bottle still with the marble in them they are worth more than the ones without the marble.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2021, 04:40 PM

Collection of Apothecary bottles.

Oh wow! That’s awesome! I love it!
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2021, 04:42 PM

Thanks Tiff.

Another interesting collection!

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top