Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2021, 05:18 PM

Re: Windows 10 Cumulative Updates KB4598229 & KB4598242 released

One of the latest rounds of W10 updates caused one of my laptops a few problems and then yesterday I saw a message that Windows Repair Tool was about to remove some updates. I allowed it to go ahead followed by the obligatory restart and all is now well in that Lenovo.
This was the first time I had seen a message concerning the repair tool and I've been using windows for well over 20yrs, so it does seem that windows do keep an eye on individuals progress where their products are concerned.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2021, 06:38 PM

Having avoided them for quite a long time now, I decided to take the plunge and finally update yesterday.
Although I have set things not to update between 8am and 2am, I over-rode that for this occasion. Nevertheless, it tried not to re-start and I had to try a few times to get it to complete!

Happily, and with a certain amount of relief, I found that it happened both relatively quickly and without creating any havoc, including not messing up my desktop.

You never know, I might begin to trust Micro$oft a little more in future!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
One of the latest rounds of W10 updates caused one of my laptops a few problems and then yesterday I saw a message that Windows Repair Tool was about to remove some updates. I allowed it to go ahead followed by the obligatory restart and all is now well in that Lenovo.
This was the first time I had seen a message concerning the repair tool and I've been using windows for well over 20yrs, so it does seem that windows do keep an eye on individuals progress where their products are concerned.
It looks like sharing diagnostics information can sometimes be beneficial. Automatic troubleshooting can be read about here..

Automatic troubleshooting
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
It looks like sharing diagnostics information can sometimes be beneficial. Automatic troubleshooting can be read about here..

Automatic troubleshooting
Yes, I'd like to think that Micro$oft do consider their users. After all, people wouldn't use them if they didn't.

Having said that I'll trust Windows Updates in future, I'll still put updates off for a few weeks before accepting them, just to see if any problems are reported - hopefully on here, as we have some people who know far more than I do about these computer things.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, I'd like to think that Micro$oft do consider their users. After all, people wouldn't use them if they didn't.

Having said that I'll trust Windows Updates in future, I'll still put updates off for a few weeks before accepting them, just to see if any problems are reported - hopefully on here, as we have some people who know far more than I do about these computer things.
I hear that version 21H1 will come out in the summer (after June) and will be followed by a bigger one (might be a redesign of W10), in the Autumn.

It's suggested that a new "trick" is being used (to avoid installation probs) whereby the updates are downloaded but only "swictched on" in due course by an "enablement switch" which could turn off a failing section ready for fixing without impact.

It all seems to be getting better!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

05-02-2021, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I hear that version 21H1 will come out in the summer (after June) and will be followed by a bigger one (might be a redesign of W10), in the Autumn.

It's suggested that a new "trick" is being used (to avoid installation probs) whereby the updates are downloaded but only "swictched on" in due course by an "enablement switch" which could turn off a failing section ready for fixing without impact.

It all seems to be getting better!
I think one of my bugbears is the length of time it takes to install the updates. In the past I have found updates to take well over an hour to do their thing. Hopefully, this would avoid such a thing?

As for a 'failing section', I can't say I've ever noticed one of those before.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 04:33 PM

I think one of my bugbears is the length of time it takes to install the updates. In the past I have found updates to take well over an hour to do their thing. Hopefully, this would avoid such a thing?

An update can affect various parts of the Windows package, on the PC.

In the past, if one of the existing parts, getting the update,
went wrong the whole download would be backed out and later attempts made to sort it out.

If I understand what they are now suggesting is that a large download would be downloaded in sections, and, if one section went wrong it would be switched off and the rest of the sections would be completed.

Then they would focus in on the failing section, maybe days later, and sort it.

That's how I read it.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

05-02-2021, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
An update can affect various parts of the Windows package, on the PC.

In the past, if one of the existing parts, getting the update,
went wrong the whole download would be backed out and later attempts made to sort it out.

If I understand what they are now suggesting is that a large download would be downloaded in sections, and, if one section went wrong it would be switched off and the rest of the sections would be completed.

Then they would focus in on the failing section, maybe days later, and sort it.

That's how I read it.
Well that sounds encouraging and a good move. Let's see how it works out.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 05:46 PM

I usually find the download time via standard speed broad-band is acceptable, BUT, the time taken to remove the footprint left behind always seems extraordinarily long to me; then of course the defrag has to be added in to avoid slowing down followed by a registry clean to remove the rest.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

05-02-2021, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
I usually find the download time via standard speed broad-band is acceptable, BUT, the time taken to remove the footprint left behind always seems extraordinarily long to me; then of course the defrag has to be added in to avoid slowing down followed by a registry clean to remove the rest.
Oh, I didn't know about any 'footprint'. I thought that Windows 10 automatically defragments on a regular basis.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top