Join for free
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2021, 11:45 AM

Re: Eurostar in cash crisis !!

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Just dynamite the tunnel and be done with it....
You hooligan OGF !!
A better idea would be to fill the train with illegal immigrants , lock
them in, and send them back whence they came ??

Donkeyman! 🤗🤗
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2021, 01:08 PM

Hi

The EU remains our biggest just in time trading partner.

Why should we want to put so many jobs at risk?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2021, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I don't usually comment on Brit/ Euro stuff. Not my patch. But I often read it just for my own edufication. But,..who exactly is "they" (ve)..The Euoropeans?..The British Govt?..or the Canadians. JUst asking.
The shareholders including those in Quebec and the USA to whom the UK treasury had sold their interest in the company.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2021, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The EU remains our biggest just in time trading partner.

Why should we want to put so many jobs at risk?
What jobs are at risk and where?

The Eurotunnel isn't owned by the UK and whoever makes the profit is surely then also liable for any debt and for those employed?
Just the same as the UK wouldn't subsidise the French Brittany Ferries or the Danish DFDS even though these run ferries to and from the UK.

Here's a thought: if the Irish will use the UK as a through-route less post-Brexit, surely that equates to extra capacity on the ferries to and from the UK which the Irish are now not using?
That's another reason not to subsidise a foreign-owned company.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 02:08 PM

Nothing to do with UK yet the French SNCF expect us to bail them out because their government won't. What a nerve!

https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...-advice-update

Eurostar is majority owned by the French state-backed rail firm SNCF

The Government sold its stake in the business to private companies for £757 million in 2015.

The 40 percent stake was sold before the general election in 2015 by the UK in order to pay off its debts.

Christophe Fanichet, head of SNCF Voyageurs, last week warned Eurostar was in a “very critical” situation.

He said the issue was the company was seen in the UK as a French business not supported by the Government.

But he also claimed in France the firm is seen as a UK-based businesses not aided by Paris.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Nothing to do with UK yet the French SNCF expect us to bail them out because their government won't. What a nerve!

https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...-advice-update

Eurostar is majority owned by the French state-backed rail firm SNCF

The Government sold its stake in the business to private companies for £757 million in 2015.

The 40 percent stake was sold before the general election in 2015 by the UK in order to pay off its debts.

Christophe Fanichet, head of SNCF Voyageurs, last week warned Eurostar was in a “very critical” situation.

He said the issue was the company was seen in the UK as a French business not supported by the Government.

But he also claimed in France the firm is seen as a UK-based businesses not aided by Paris.
UK business is pressuring the government to intervene to save
Eurostar, obviously first class , or business class users of Eurostar
will suffer if it folds !!
Why should taxpayers fund businesses once again ???

Donkeyman! 👎🤔👎
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
UK business is pressuring the government to intervene to save
Eurostar, obviously first class , or business class users of Eurostar
will suffer if it folds !!
Why should taxpayers fund businesses once again ???

Donkeyman! 👎🤔👎
Because some foreign owned businesses provide a strategic service to the UK. Simples!

All I would say is that rather than us providing a grant or loan we should buy stock and hold a Golden Share of some form.

I would deeply regret closure of the Channel Tunnel. It makes life so much easier to cross the sea than by ferry.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Because some foreign owned businesses provide a strategic service to the UK. Simples!

All I would say is that rather than us providing a grant or loan we should buy stock and hold a Golden Share of some form.

I would deeply regret closure of the Channel Tunnel. It makes life so much easier to cross the sea than by ferry.
Rather than the UK bail it out let the French government allow bankruptcy if they wish.
If it is then deemed a "strategic service" that our government thinks necessary it will undoubtedly be far less costly to buy a bankrupt company out of receivership and then owning the entirety.

Though I doubt our government sees it as a "strategic service", otherwise they wouldn't have sold their stake.

As I have said before: the UK wouldn't bail out the French Brittany Ferries or the Danish DFDS even though these run ferries to and from the UK.
Eurostar is no different.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 03:20 PM

Unforeseen problems have blighted this project from the start, a bad investment.

https://johnredwoodsdiary.com/2018/0...ng-investment/
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

18-01-2021, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->

You must be one of the business class users l think Todgy?
Why should l fund a self confessed tax dodger like you ??

Donkeyman! 👎🤔🤔👎

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top