Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 11:43 AM

Dog toothpaste

The one my vet sold me is rubbish.

Can anyone recommend me a good one, that remove plaque and tartar build up.?

Bearing in mind, my dog has periodontal disease,

He doesn’t need to go under yet, for a scale and polish, thank God.....£900 if he does.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 12:02 PM

Re: Dog toothpaste

Pauline, there are loads of firms who do doggy toothpaste.

There is Hyperdrug, Dorwest Herbs, VioVet, Pets at Home shops, and loads more.

Remember never to use human toothpast for dogs though.
The reason is it usually contains something called Xylitol which is toxic to dogs.

If yours has peridontal disease, depending to what degree, I doubt toothpaste alone will be enough, as abcess's can form under the gumline.

Lastly, sorry Pauline, but are you raving bonkers gal, paying £900 for a tooth descale???

Anaesthetic is priced according to the size/weight of the dog, but the price also depends on the amount of work the dog needs plus any extractions. but for one of mine who is about 10 kg, a straight forward scale and polish is around £140.

You must have a baby elephant with gold fillings for them to justify a price like £900!!
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Pauline, there are loads of firms who do doggy toothpaste.

There is Hyperdrug, Dorwest Herbs, VioVet, Pets at Home shops, and loads more.

Remember never to use human toothpast for dogs though.
The reason is it usually contains something called Xylitol which is toxic to dogs.

If yours has peridontal disease, depending to what degree, I doubt toothpaste alone will be enough, as abcess's can form under the gumline.

Lastly, sorry Pauline, but are you raving bonkers gal, paying £900 for a tooth descale???

Anaesthetic is priced according to the size/weight of the dog, but the price also depends on the amount of work the dog needs plus any extractions. but for one of mine who is about 10 kg, a straight forward scale and polish is around £140.

You must have a baby elephant with gold fillings for them to justify a price like £900!!

Periodontal can be controlled,Mups, I’ve had it since the age of 35,

The problem is, with the toothpaste, seriously, I think I ought to have words with my vet again, and explain the situation, that the toothpaste he sold me is having very little effect.

Where or who would I get to do a straight forward scale and polish, does that mean they would go under anesthetic?....or not?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 12:26 PM

Hi Pauline I use Vibac it is expensive but good...

https://www.animeddirect.co.uk/virba...RoCC9UQAvD_BwE

By brushing away with a soft brush and the toothpaste I have managed to remove the tartar off Chloe's teeth after she was unable to have them cleaned by the vet following a blood test showing a problem with her liver enzymes.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

19-01-2021, 12:44 PM

Thanks for that,Meg, I will get my son to order some online, the one that the vet sold me, was over £9 with a toothbrush added.....

Sorry to hear that about Chloe, I guess as long as you keep up with the teeth brushing, she should be fine, I know how much your girl means to you,...so you keeping up the cleaning ,goes without question.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Periodontal can be controlled,Mups, I’ve had it since the age of 35,

The problem is, with the toothpaste, seriously, I think I ought to have words with my vet again, and explain the situation, that the toothpaste he sold me is having very little effect.

Where or who would I get to do a straight forward scale and polish, does that mean they would go under anesthetic?....or not?

I don't know any vet that would attempt a de scale without knocking the dog out Pauline.
I can't imagine any dog would just sit there, for however long it takes, with a masked stranger using an electric descaler in their mouth. You must know yourself how unpleasant it is, and can hurt.

I would imagine a dog would be very frightened, figit, may even try to bite, and would not tolerate it. A vet could not work with a dog moving his head about, it would be too dangerous.

Also, supposing they found an extraction was needed?

As Meg said, they would blood test your dog first to see if her internal organs would cope.

If you don't want to let a vet do a descale, I can only suggest you try Meg's toothpaste and see how you get on, but it might depend on how bad the scale is though.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

19-01-2021, 12:57 PM

[QUOTE=Mups;2021546]

Jack has had 3 scale and polish plus extractions, I’m thinking about taking him to pets at home, I’m lucky in the sense that he lets me brush his teeth, but this darn toothpaste is useless,I will give the one, Meg recommended a try, then decide what further action to take after that.

Jack saw David my vet, a month ago....he couldn’t believe how bad they were,as he’d only done them that year, but they weren’t bad enough to undergo surgery again.....thanks for the advice on the condition, Mups........
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

19-01-2021, 01:14 PM

Pauline, you could also read up on products like this and see what you think.

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Phytopet-Ta...r-Dogs/c20068/

There is also another one called 'Plaque Off' which is much the same.

Haven't tried them, but you could read the reviews and make your own mind up.

Much depends on how bad the teeth are in the first place.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

19-01-2021, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Pauline, you could also read up on products like this and see what you think.

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Phytopet-Ta...r-Dogs/c20068/

There is also another one called 'Plaque Off' which is much the same.

Haven't tried them, but you could read the reviews and make your own mind up.

Much depends on how bad the teeth are in the first place.

Brilliant, I have a feeling I will be ordering quite a few tubes of toothpaste......thanks again, Mups......I always know I can rely on you for information and advice.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 08:04 PM

I wish Holly would let me near her teeth, but she won’t so brushing them is a no no. I am sure hers need cleaning, as the smell is awful. I think our vet’s fees start around £220. Suffolk prices, higher than London, it would seem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top