Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2018, 01:42 AM

New Law relating to animals in Spain

As of yesterday, 1st February, it is now illegal to alter the appearance of any animal by docking the tail, cutting the ears, de clawing, and a few other things, unless required for medical reasons.

Breaking these laws can result in 3 months to 1 year's imprisonment.

More good news.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2018, 02:04 AM

Re: New Law relating to animals in Spain

They've certainly come a long way in the last 25 years.....gone are the days they mocked the Brits about caring for their pets more than their kids.

In those days you never saw a Spaniard walking a pet dog or cat, unlike now..
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2018, 09:42 AM

Very true Tpin, things have changed so much regarding animal welfare, much of it of course thanks to the EU, but attitudes towards animals in general have also changed. It's quite funny really because the Spanish we know and the many Spanish we see with their dogs, are very caring of their pets. There are still, and always will be, those who are not caring, but such people exist in all countries, not just Spain.

We have the "special" branch of the police, Ceprona, who deal with animal abuse and they do a good job, at least in my opinion. I'm very pleased that the new laws, which were enforceable from the 1st of this month will hopefully stop this awful practice of cutting tails etc off dogs, or at the very least make a big difference.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2018, 09:50 AM

This is good .
However they still all crowd into a small space to watch a bull being tortured to death on a regular basis .
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2018, 09:56 AM

What about Bull fighting ? that should be banned as well
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2018, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
As of yesterday, 1st February, it is now illegal to alter the appearance of any animal by docking the tail, cutting the ears, de clawing, and a few other things, unless required for medical reasons.

Breaking these laws can result in 3 months to 1 year's imprisonment.

More good news.

About time too. It's been illegal here since 2007.
I suppose better late than never though.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

03-02-2018, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
About time too. It's been illegal here since 2007.
I suppose better late than never though.
It obviously still happens though Mups. Our next door neighbours bought their Spaniel from somewhere in UK 4 years ago, it's tail is docked.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

03-02-2018, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
What about Bull fighting ? that should be banned as well
Yes indeed, I agree with you both Muddy and realspeed. Fortunately that is changing too, slowly but surely. Bull fighting is banned in quite a few places already and I don't think it will be too long before it's banned completely. I can at least hope.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2018, 10:15 AM

What would make better entertainment is putting a husband and wife arguing in the ring instead of bulls
We actually have a TV show that does that called "The Jeremy Kyle Show" and the whole family have a good screaming match at each other
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2018, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
It obviously still happens though Mups. Our next door neighbours bought their Spaniel from somewhere in UK 4 years ago, it's tail is docked.

There are/were loopholes clumsy. I believe it was still legal in parts of Ireland for a while, and I heard no end of tales (no pun meant) where some breeders were taking whole litters across to be cut there, then bringing them back to sell here.
Some were even sending their poor pregnant bitches to whelp in Ireland, getting their tails done, then bringing the mother & pups back. The lengths some people will go to, and damn the dogs welfare.

Working dogs can still be docked but it is illegal to do it yourself, (as was happening), only a vet can do it.
Not sure of the current position, but my friend who has working dogs said she had to produce a licence of some sort as proof the dog was a worker before her vet was allowed to do it.

If anyone is still buying docked now, it is probably either shipped in from abroad, or done illegally here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top