Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2018, 10:48 AM

Re: New Law relating to animals in Spain

Originally Posted by Mups ->
There are/were loopholes clumsy. I believe it was still legal in parts of Ireland for a while, and I heard no end of tales (no pun meant) where some breeders were taking whole litters across to be cut there, then bringing them back to sell here.
Some were even sending their poor pregnant bitches to whelp in Ireland, getting their tails done, then bringing the mother & pups back. The lengths some people will go to, and damn the dogs welfare.

Working dogs can still be docked but it is illegal to do it yourself, (as was happening), only a vet can do it.
Not sure of the current position, but my friend who has working dogs said she had to produce a licence of some sort as proof the dog was a worker before her vet was allowed to do it.

If anyone is still buying docked now, it is probably either shipped in from abroad, or done illegally here.

Good grief Mups, don't ever tell our snooty, unpleasant neighbours their dog was likely shipped in from abroad. They went to the best kennels in UK you know, it has the best pedigree in the world! It's also a nasty, snappy, never stops barking, dog. Nothing like any other Spaniel I have ever known. Obviously takes after it's owners
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2018, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
What would make better entertainment is putting a husband and wife arguing in the ring instead of bulls
We actually have a TV show that does that called "The Jeremy Kyle Show" and the whole family have a good screaming match at each other
I've seen the Jeremy Kyle show in the past, once was enough. Last year there was a town somewhere, can't remember where it was, but instead of the normal bullfight some people dressed as bulls, others as matadors and they had a "human" bullfight in the bullring. By all accounts it was a great success and a lot of fun. Perhaps they'll do it again this year.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2018, 11:42 AM

It is more good news. Late is better than never and the movement towards other animal cruelties is gathering pace throughout the EU and the world.
It all takes time, and Spain is one country where 100's town have banned wild animal circuses. Streets ahead of UK and many other EU countries.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

03-02-2018, 12:46 PM

Perhaps this will explain it better. Itīs a bit like bull fights, banned in some regions, not yet banned in others. The same with the ear and tail docking. The difference now is this is banned all over Spain.

https://www.thelocal.es/20170518/spa...-of-dogs-tails
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

03-02-2018, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
It is more good news. Late is better than never and the movement towards other animal cruelties is gathering pace throughout the EU and the world.
It all takes time, and Spain is one country where 100's town have banned wild animal circuses. Streets ahead of UK and many other EU countries.
We no longer see circuses with wild animals around here any more. These days itīs most these big trucks and motorbike show type things.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2018, 01:20 PM

Bullfighting will die out naturally if the law doesn't ban it before.

As the youngsters become the next caring generation the "sport" will become less and less popular.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2018, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
Good grief Mups, don't ever tell our snooty, unpleasant neighbours their dog was likely shipped in from abroad. They went to the best kennels in UK you know, it has the best pedigree in the world! It's also a nasty, snappy, never stops barking, dog. Nothing like any other Spaniel I have ever known. Obviously takes after it's owners

Here you go Clumsy, this explains it from the KC.
It is pretty much what I said, only it probably explains it better.
Makes you wonder about your neighbours dog?

Tail docking

Under the Animal Welfare Act 2006, docking was banned in England and Wales. However an exemption was put in place for Spaniels, Terriers and Hunt, Point and Retrieve breeds that are used to work. Under the Regulations, a dog is officially a working dog if a vet has certified that the dog is likely to be used for work in connection with the following:

(1) Law Enforcement

(2) Activities of the armed force

(3) Emergency Rescue

(4) Lawful pest control

(5) Lawful shooting of animals.

Puppies of these types of dog may be docked by a veterinary surgeon providing this is done within the first five days of life, and that the owner (breeder) can prove that the puppies have been bred to work i.e. they must be able to show the vet either a gun licence or a letter from a land occupier which verifies that the owner's dogs work on his land. The puppies must also be microchipped by a veterinary surgeon. Following both of these procedures, the veterinary surgeon must sign certificates to say that the puppies were both docked and microchipped in accordance with the law.
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2018, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
As of yesterday, 1st February, it is now illegal to alter the appearance of any animal by docking the tail, cutting the ears, de clawing, and a few other things, unless required for medical reasons.

Breaking these laws can result in 3 months to 1 year's imprisonment.

More good news.
wonder what the punishment is of cruelty to animals in general mainly donkeys /horses over there =i love spain but Spanish dont treat their animals with love - but glad to hear the new law
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

03-02-2018, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Maddy ->
wonder what the punishment is of cruelty to animals in general mainly donkeys /horses over there =i love spain but Spanish dont treat their animals with love - but glad to hear the new law
Punishment these days for cruelty to any animal is often quite severe Maddy. Seprona often work closely with the animal rescue centres too. People are cruel and abusive to animals the world over, you just donīt hear about it very often. I personally do not know any Spanish person who treats their animals badly, Iīm not saying there are not any, but I donīt know any. I do know many who love their animals, and that includes the local shepherds, one in particular who has a name for every sheep and goat in his flock, how he knows which is which I donīt know, but he does. His dogs are quite amazing, I could watch them all day, they really make the shepherd redundant, they know exactly what to do and when.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

03-02-2018, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Here you go Clumsy, this explains it from the KC.
It is pretty much what I said, only it probably explains it better.
Makes you wonder about your neighbours dog?

Tail docking

Under the Animal Welfare Act 2006, docking was banned in England and Wales. However an exemption was put in place for Spaniels, Terriers and Hunt, Point and Retrieve breeds that are used to work. Under the Regulations, a dog is officially a working dog if a vet has certified that the dog is likely to be used for work in connection with the following:

(1) Law Enforcement

(2) Activities of the armed force

(3) Emergency Rescue

(4) Lawful pest control

(5) Lawful shooting of animals.

Puppies of these types of dog may be docked by a veterinary surgeon providing this is done within the first five days of life, and that the owner (breeder) can prove that the puppies have been bred to work i.e. they must be able to show the vet either a gun licence or a letter from a land occupier which verifies that the owner's dogs work on his land. The puppies must also be microchipped by a veterinary surgeon. Following both of these procedures, the veterinary surgeon must sign certificates to say that the puppies were both docked and microchipped in accordance with the law.
Thanks Mups. Regarding our neighbours and their dog, well I still think the dog takes after itīs owners. People cross the road rather than walk past their gate if the dog is out. It doesnīt just bark, it growls and snaps, it really is not a nice dog at all. If ChoCho is out in our garden the dog comes to the fence snapping, growling and barking, Janet, the neighbours says "oh she just wants to play!" As for ChoCho, she just ignores it, but even she wants to cross to the other side of the road when I walk her, she doesnīt like walking past their gate. The last dog they had, which they brought with them from Wales, a Westie, wasnīt as bad but we looked after JayJay for a few days whilst they were away some years ago, I said never again, she too was snappy and possessive, Muffin and ChoCho were terrified of her. So I think you can safely say, owners fault, not the dog.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top