Join for free
Page 10 of 25 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 20 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2021, 09:04 PM

Re: Future of the Monarchy

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Because it's all bullshit. Part of the keeping them in the public eye as if they were in some way involved.
Nope it's seen as a quality standard. Any old organisation doesn't get a royal charter.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2021, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
The royality attract a lot of visitors to the UK don't forget. They bring a lot of foreign money into the country.

Take a look at France ,they did away with their royals and now have nothing like us to offer
Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
While this is true, what do you do with the Royal Air Force? The Royal Navy etc? The fact that everyone swears allegiance to the queen doesn't quite sit right with me - if you fight, you fight for the country not one family, but that's how they keep the likes of us in our place.
I agree with both of these.

I'd propose a middle way.

Retain the Royal Family, but the Civil List would pay only for the Monarch and the immediate line of succession. Everyone else must pay their own way, especially the 800+ so-called 'nobles'. Many have their own source of income anyway, and those who don't must get a job!

With that, of course, would go the unelected House of Lords to be replaced by an elected senate (could still be called the 'Lords' for the sake of tradition) of no more than 100 - the same number as the Yanks have.

Other countries, even those without a Royal Family (Germany, for example) still have people with noble antecedents and who retain their titles, although as far as I know they don't participate in anything like ours do. Why can't we do the same?

I'd still like to see our historic traditions being continued, to the extent that they DO draw in interest from all over the world, and with that comes money too!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2021, 09:13 PM

This is fascinating stuff. Just skimmed through the royal charter and bye-laws of my professional body. Well I never! Quite a lengthy document. More about royal charters here at the Privy Council site :

"What effect does ‘incorporation’ by Royal Charter have on a body?
Incorporation by Charter is a prestigious way of acquiring legal personality and reflects the high status of that body. The authority for the grant of a Charter comes from the Royal Prerogative, that is to say, the grant is made by the Sovereign (on the advice of the Privy Council)."

https://privycouncil.independent.gov.uk/royal-charters/
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2021, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Was Viktor Brukhanov sufficiently qualified to build it?
You beat me to it Annie !!
The system to shut it down was inadequate !!
It relied on an alarm hell to warn the operating staff something
was wrong. !!
Instead of having a fail safe design??
Hell. !! How did the monarchy come to this??

Donkeyman! 🤗🤗
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2021, 09:28 PM

Nope it's seen as a quality standard. Any old organisation doesn't get a royal charter.
Don't they have to grease the royal Palm first though Annie ??

D. Man !!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

11-04-2021, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I agree with both of these.

I'd propose a middle way.

Retain the Royal Family, but the Civil List would pay only for the Monarch and the immediate line of succession. Everyone else must pay their own way, especially the 800+ so-called 'nobles'. Many have their own source of income anyway, and those who don't must get a job!

With that, of course, would go the unelected House of Lords to be replaced by an elected senate (could still be called the 'Lords' for the sake of tradition) of no more than 100 - the same number as the Yanks have.

Other countries, even those without a Royal Family (Germany, for example) still have people with noble antecedents and who retain their titles, although as far as I know they don't participate in anything like ours do. Why can't we do the same?

I'd still like to see our historic traditions being continued, to the extent that they DO draw in interest from all over the world, and with that comes money too!

But only if it can be proved that they do indeed bring in the claimed
amounts of moolah ??

Donkeyman! 👍👍
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2021, 10:11 PM

They haven't had to sit any exams because of lockdown. In fact they are now talking of maybe scrapping exams altogether. So you could nod off in a lecture theatre for four years, download your essay from the internet to get the coursework marks and then walk into a responsible job. Nuts!

Joking apart, I'm sure there's more than an element of truth in that!

Interestingly, at least at degree level and above, there is some very clever software which can read through such works - essays, degree submissions, PhD submissions, etc. and ascertain whether any 'copying' of other people's works has taken place.

It works. I know because Marge has been involved in such checking procedures and some applicants have had their work rejected as a consequence. Embarrassing, I should think!

I'm sure it all depends upon the level to which someone is working though. I think at normal secondary level education, dishonesty is more than likely to happen.

As for employment opportunities, as GCSEs are becoming easier to obtain, and no doubt 'A' levels too, we are seeing school leavers coming out with 'A-star's becoming almost the norm!
To accommodate this situation where all job applicants arrive with a long list of top-level exams, more and more employers are beginning to set their own employment tests to sort the wheat from the chaff!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2021, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Ever heard about continuous assessment? In any case how long ago was it when you went up to university?
I am gobsmacked how people have such erroneous perceptions .
My daughter inl law is a university lecturer and she has been working throughout the pandemic and certainly her students cannot just nod off and get a qualification this is all nonsense.
Where do people get these ideas?
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2021, 12:24 AM

I'm totally with you about university here Muddy. I'm going to start a new thread rather than get side tracked here. Not in topic
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

12-04-2021, 12:50 AM

I was talking about GCSE's and A levels.

Page 10 of 25 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 20 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top