Join for free
Page 3 of 21 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 07:05 PM

Re: Polite discourse vs hostility and rudeness

If a post offends you, just report it.
Sounds great but it's not the "Aussie way" - to be a dobber.

I suspect that most posts here are read by a mod or mods.
Surely if they see something which is clearly over the top they can act ?

Perhaps like Julie, I too am less than conservative and for that reason my views in the serious threads quite often clash with the majority.
It is sad when the mere expression of those differences seems to raise the ire of some - to the point where rude responses or irrelevancies are fairly common.

But hey, broad shoulders. Move on.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 07:08 PM

Well I am reasonably happy with the way things are here right now, even though I feel that I myself have suffered sarcastic abuse from a tiny minority. But I think that Azz suggestion for a try of a slightly different way of going on deserves some consideration.

I do not envy Matt's efforts at getting things right here for everyone though.
And of course one just cannot please everyone, no matter what you do with that.
At least Matt is trying to listen to our whatever moans and sensitivities there are here. Good luck with that!
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 07:10 PM

Shurrup before I report you for being almost reasonable!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Boozercruiser ->
Well I am reasonably happy with the way things are here right now, even though I feel that I myself have suffered sarcastic abuse from a tiny minority. But I think that Azz suggestion for a try of a slightly different way of going on deserves some consideration.

I do not envy Matt's efforts at getting things right here for everyone though.
And of course one just cannot please everyone, no matter what you do with that.
At least Matt is trying to listen to our whatever moans and sensitivities there are here. Good luck with that!
Who is Matt, you have mentioned him before BC?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 07:14 PM

I like Cass’s suggestion of three strikes and you are suspended, I mean how many warnings does one need?, a spell away from the pages helps to cool folks down and get their thoughts together again.
As for the three month PM rule some people seem to get so upset about, the reasons have been outlined umpteen times on why it is there.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 07:19 PM

This 3 strikes thing...when you get struck what happens?
You get a warning pm which no one else knows about?
Second time you get another warning pm which no one else knows about?
Third time you get a ban and disappear for how long?...and then when someone innocently asks (me) where's (for example) Markey? ...they get an arsey pm saying "we don't discuss other members on this forum" or some other such nonsense.

If you're going to treat adults like children then you must expect them to behave like children.

So, how would the 3 strikes thing work?
Private, as above, or public with an icon (picture of a figure sitting on naughty step for example) next to their name for others to see?
Cue public ribbing...
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 07:19 PM

Badges? Strike-outs?

Why don't we just get some "time-out" benches and start sitting people in corners, LOL
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 07:21 PM

well I'm not playing!
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 07:24 PM

Seriously, with all due respect, that all sounds kind of Kindergarten'ish to me. I mean, we *are* adults here, right?

I personally haven't found any extremely rude people here. No more (in fact, quite less) than any other site I've been to. And if I'd ever come across someone I didn't particularly like (which hasn't even happened yet) then I'd simply ignore them.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 07:24 PM

Personally I think it unnecessary and putting more work on the mods. Leave it to peer pressure to keep people in line.

Page 3 of 21 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top