Join for free
Page 90 of 95 « First < 40 80 88 89 90 91 92 > Last »
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2021, 06:47 PM

Re: What book are you reading now?

Currently reading The Reader on the 6.27 - by Jean Paul Didierlaurent. Its about a guy who reads random pages of books out loud on the train home. He works in a book pulping factory, so its a bit odd so far, ha!
spincycle42
Bangkok, Th.
spincycle42 is male 

14-03-2021, 11:28 AM

Well.....here goes...this may seem odd ...or maybe not.

I'm reading currently my the 3rd book in a fantasy series written by Steven Erikson. The series is called Malazan: The Book of the Fallen. There are 10 or more books to this series and the title of the one I'm on now is called "Memories of Ice"

The thing about this particular series is that I think it is unlike any other out there because it focuses more on plot and the implied pieces of a puzzle as you read, whereas most series put strong emphasis on characters. Malazan has characters for sure, but they are not what's driving the story as such. I'm picking up new words from this author all the time.

I love the imagery and the brilliant prose in Erikson's writing. Anyone else reading this or a fantasy series?

The other things I'm reading....Moby Dick -1st time
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2021, 01:24 PM

I am reading The Phone Box At The Edge Of The World by Laura Imai Messina.
Nothing like any book I usually read, but I am enjoying it. The phone box actually exists in Japan. Its a very moving story.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2021, 07:00 PM

I've just started reading A History of Loneliness by John Boyne (author of The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas among others). He is such a superb writer, I just know I'm going to enjoy it.

The book I read before this was The Stationery Shop of Tehran, which was so very moving, and gave a fascinating, and upsetting, insight into the disturbing political troubles in Iran from the 50's onwards. Well worth a read!
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2021, 12:14 PM

Why is this thread sinking into the slough of despond? Does nobody read anymore?

Come on, tell us what you're reading, and give us all some book recommendations
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2021, 12:52 PM

I'm reading Nomadlands by Jessica Bruder. I got it after watching the movie and being less than enthralled by it. The book, however is amazing, but depressing in parts. It basically tells of post retirees, living in their vans, being exploited by companies such as Amazon...just so they can survive. It shows how despite working all your life and doing the right thing, it can still go belly up. However, there are some great characters in the book that weren't in the movie, so I'm enjoying it nonetheless.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2021, 01:54 PM

At the moment I'm re-reading all the Hamish Macbeth Books. Love them.
bret
australia - travelling from west to east?
bret is male 

19-05-2021, 04:43 AM

Paul Theroux - re- and re-reading the Happy Isles of Oceania - invited on a book publicity tour at a low point in his life PT packed a tent ; collapsible Kayak and sleeping bag and set off for the paradise isle of the Pacific - he is a pithy writer and says it as it is with no embellishments - a film would be good but too long?
bret
australia - travelling from west to east?
bret is male 

19-05-2021, 04:46 AM

Zealot - [re-read] - the life and times of Jesus of Nazareth by reza aslan former christian turned muslim - appropriate for this moment in time but he didn't convince me but I am a man of faith! I was more interested the first time but now the doubts creep in
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2021, 09:06 AM

Well at the moment I am reading, The lamp of darkness: The age of prophecy. On my kindle of course.

Page 90 of 95 « First < 40 80 88 89 90 91 92 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top