Join for free
hotwired
New Member!
United States
hotwired is male 

27-09-2019, 11:03 AM

Skinny 54 year old guy, trying to add 10LB muscle

I am 53 years old. 6’4” and 172 lbs. I am definitely too “skinny” and would like to get back to my younger weight of 180-185 but keep my low body fat like I am right now. I’m around 14% I love having super low body fat. I just find it very comfortable & wish to avoid gaining much, if any, body fat along the way. It ALL goes to my chest and hips and I look like a fat middle-aged housewife if I gain so much as 10 lbs of fat. It's ridiculous how it makes me look. So my goal here is 10 lbs of pure muscle with no more than 2LB fat gain. (more or less)

To complicate things just a bit, I have scoliosis. Not debilitating but the advice I get repeatedly from med professionals is to stay away from squats and deadlifts, and focus more on higher rep lighter weight vs. low rep high weight. These exercises that I’m not supposed to do, unfortunately, are the “heavy hitters”. So given that, I’ve come up with a hopeful program. I’d like your input. Am I on the right track given my restrictions? Should I change anything? How is my schedule? Too much rest? Not enough? Whatever comes up I want to hear it. Thank you. I'm a man. You can talk to me like one and I won't pout, haha!

I use free weight dumbbells, a bowflex machine, body weight and just purchased a vertical leg press (cheaper one but I put 120LBS on it so I’m safe until I get stronger).

Highlights:
I focus on the “hypertrophy range” of 8-12 reps and do 3 or 4 sets depending on muscle group
My total workout takes one hour.
I do upper day 1, legs day 2, cardio day 3 and 4, then start over.
I do 4 sets of bench and lat pull downs, but 3 sets of everything else.
I shoot for failure on the LAST set, but sometimes get it on 2d set.
I rest 1-1.5 minutes
In between SOME sets I’ll do some abs/core (not enough to detract from my workout, just enough to get my abs in that day)

UPPER (9-25-19)

Bench with bowflex or pushups 4 sets of 8-12 (current bowflex weight = all 155 ea side or 310)

Flies 1-2 sets of 8-12 on bowflex or laying on big exercise ball (10 lbs. dumbbells)
One Superset hanging leg raises left, center, right (10)

Lat Pulldowns 4 sets of 12-15 (current bowflex weight = all 155 ea side or 310))
One Superset bicycle crunch (35)

Pull ups – I’ll do my max, which is 2-3, then using a bench, jump up into the up position and do 2-3 “negative reps”

Shoulder press 3 x 10-12 (20 lb. dumbbells)
Superset plank

Curls 3 sets of 8-12

Triceps pulldowns or 15LB dumbbell kickbacks 3 sets of 8-12

Row (Bowflex or bent over dumbell)
3 sets of 8-12 (current dbell weight 30LB)

Shoulder shrugs (1-2 sets of 12 with 30 lb. dumbbells. I roll back a little at top)

LOWER

Leg press 2 x 8-12 134LBS
One Superset hanging leg raises left, center, right (10)

Goblet squat with homemade kettlebell 45LB 2 sets of 8-12

Bulgarian Split Squat (body weight only( 2 sets of 12)

**So the 3 above give me 6 sets of basic “squat replacement” exercises

Leg curls 3 x 10-12 using bowflex, hacking the leg extension piece (75LB)

Leg Extensions 2x12 (305, all bowflex weight)
Superset plank (1/30/30/30)

Calf Raises 2 x 25 body weight only

Weighted Glute Bridges 2 x 25

OTHER:
Start day with 20 minute stretch routine with one cheat day per week

Diet: As usual. 4-5 times per day. PPB (primarily plant based) but plenty of protein as well. Do intermittent fasting (18 hour) 1-2 times per week.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2019, 01:03 PM

Re: Skinny 54 year old guy, trying to add 10LB muscle

Hi Hotwired.
For somebody who says he's not sure what to do to that sure looks like a good programme you've got there

To be honest bud, I wouldn't change a thing. It's looking good.
The tension exercises are the key to gaining muscle, i.e. holding the final rep for a few seconds and pushing out a further couple more does build and harden the muscle.
Otherwise, it's your diet that is the key to keeping the weight down.

Good luck with it and welcome to the forum!
sugarbug
canada
sugarbug is female  sugarbug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2019, 01:15 PM

Wow that is a good workout .. bragging are we lol
hotwired
New Member!
United States
hotwired is male 

27-09-2019, 01:20 PM

Thanks Floydy
There's just so much conflicting data out there, mostly because so many long term studies are being completed, so lots of new data and findings are popping up all the time (super slow, time under tension, more protein, etc.)

And sugarbug, honest, I'm not bragging! Thank you! I started exercising when I was a sophomore in high school when I joined a sports team for the first time, and for whatever reason, it's caught on. Unless I do physical labor 3 or more hours, I work out in some way 360+ days a year since I was 15 with the exception of 2 years when I went astray. I feel very fortunate (vs. proud). I was heavy twice in my life and it was miserable.
sugarbug
canada
sugarbug is female  sugarbug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2019, 01:46 PM

I been heavy once in my life and still miserable ...
Never did lose my baby fat . lol

Seriously, it is a good workout ..
I find it hard to get into a routine .
If it wasn't for my neighbor asking me to go for walks ,
my country line dancing , and aqua fitness ..
I would do no exercise at all ..

P.s. I see you are a new member , just want
to welcome you . Its a great forum here .
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2019, 03:35 PM

Hello, and welcome to the forum, hotwired! I think you will find the forum an enjoyable place to discuss fitness and any other topic.

I have been preaching the religion of lower weights and higher reps for years. It works!

Which leads me to wonder about your diet. As a high metabolizer with a calorie-burning exercise regimen, what does your calorie, fat, protein, and nutrient intake look like?
pathfinder
scotland
pathfinder is male  pathfinder has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2019, 09:47 PM

Do you have fast Metabolism are you burning to much calories say your intake of calories 3500 you might have add 500 on that how is your protein intake I am no expert just a thought throwing that out there
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2019, 10:12 PM

My daughter once asked me, "Dad, what are lumbs and ozzies?"
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2019, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
My daughter once asked me, "Dad, what are lumbs and ozzies?"
And?......

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top