Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 12:31 AM

Re: Mediterranean Diet

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
The injuries you've sustained may have started something like a form of arthritis, there are a few. This might be one of those that are affected by stress, which you may have experienced due to the lockdown. I know it stressed me out a lot so you would not be alone in this. I guess a blood test would give proof of that and if it was arthritis that is stress-related.

Last year, or was it the year before, I've lost track now but I went on an NHS pre-diabetes course as I was almost Type 2 diabetic. The Mediterranean diet was very evident on that as a really good diet regarding stopping diabetes. I ended up changing so many of the foods I used to eat, and quantities, so beat the diagnosis of almost Type 2 diabetic. The Mediterranean diet I didn't try but what I did see of it there were many ways it could benefit anyone, either wanting a healthier lifestyle or just to lose weight.

That link to the Mediterranean diet is interesting, the recipes definitely look very tasty.

There may be information on these links that would help:

https://www.arthritis.org/health-wel...ects-arthritis

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/rheuma...hritis/causes/
Thanks Baz somehow I missed your post earlier. I did have a negative RA blood test in my thirties as I had a bout of arthritis and started taking Cod Liver oil then which must have headed it off. At the time they said, well you have OA . But then it went away until now.

I know several people who have had juvenile arthritis and shaken it off. One with a veggie diet. My first brush with it was after skiing so I must have a weakness of wear and tear. We have OA in the family on my mum's side, but I am convinced there must be a way to head it off.

I also have Diabetes in the family on both sides so I have always been careful, but as you age everything starts to make itself more known.

So basically the med diet can head off diabetes, heart disease and arthritis. Plus it's delicious.

I found a med diet food pyramid today to send to my brother and at the bottom the most important aspect was social life and exercise including dancing! So it's interesting you mention stress because perhaps that is a missing link for so many health conditions. Perhaps it's the lack of social interaction that is making all sorts of conditions show themselves too early?
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 05:05 AM

Absolutely!..Med diet is the best. Use only fresh food for everything. NOTHING processed. I cook a lot of what I call call "mediterasian" food. The best bits of Med and Asian. Lots of Australian chefs go that way these days.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 09:44 AM

I have always tried to eat healthily, but since Christmas I've been making more of an effort to cut out junk food, unhealthy fat, very processed food, burgers, and so on
I've replaced my anonymous 'vegetable oil' with olive oil; I gave up most serious frying years ago
I find I'm naturally eating more veg & salads, and oily fish, but I still do need to make a bit of an effort to buy them

I have diabetes, so I'm now following a Mediterranean diet more closely, and just missing out large amounts of carbohydrates like rice, bread, & pasta. So it's a combination of Mediterranean and Low Carbohydrate Diet

My blood sugars, cholesterol, and blood pressure are all acceptable, though I find it difficult to lose weight

Search YouTube, amazon books, and www.diabetes.org.uk There is lots of advice & recipes

These two books are a useful place to start -

BBC Good Food books - 101 Mediterranean dishes

Mediterranean Cooking for Diabetics by Robin Ellis

Both available Used, and therefore cheap, from Amazon

I've had rheumatoid arthritis for years, but now I hardly notice it
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 02:39 PM

Thanks Zuludog I will look up those books. It's always easier having a real cookery book than trying to swipe your phone with greasy or flour covered fingers in the kitchen!
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Thanks Zuludog I will look up those books. It's always easier having a real cookery book than trying to swipe your phone with greasy or flour covered fingers in the kitchen!
I don't have a Smartphone so I use books anyway
I also make notes from YT videos and use those

The Mediterranean diet is very popular which is a mixed blessing
Search Amazon and YT; there a lot of books & videos, so many that you can get lost and confused

I'm also trying to follow a low carbohydrate diet, aka keto or ketogenic diet, and there is a similar position with that

I have always found amazon Used books to be good value for money, and almost always in good condition
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->

I've had rheumatoid arthritis for years, but now I hardly notice it
Excellent! And that's due to a sensible diet?
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->

I would love to make Giambotta on the link I shared which looks delicious and is also incredibly healthy even with the egg.
It's colourful, nicely presented, nice plate, nicely photographed. But it's only veg soup. I say "only", but delicious I bet. The egg idea I know ... and that egg wasn't poached in the soup, all in the name of aesthetics.

So go for it AnnieS .... any roots and leaves you fancy, make a couple of gallons and freeze individual portions.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK

27-07-2020, 05:39 PM

Cheese, I love, the stronger the better, made in the trad way.

This is an old favourite, we always have a wedge in the fridge ...

A few shavings adds the ultimate flavouring to soups, pasta dishes and more. The Italians use Parmesan but I prefer this from the Azores
http://atorude.changeip.com/Queijo-s...ge-recipe.html
zuludog
N E Lancashire

27-07-2020, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Excellent! And that's due to a sensible diet?
I don't know, and it would be next to impossible to prove....but it can't have done any harm, can it?

I developed RA in my late 30s and put on Naproxyn (sp?)
Then I got diabetes at 48 and put on insulin; also Atorvastatin for cholesterol

As I followed a diabetic diet my RA improved, and I stopped the Naproxyn - As a result or coincidence - who knows?

At 62 or 63 I developed the aches & pains of statin side effects, so I came off Atorvastatin and worked more on my diet - all the things you read about - stopped fatty meat, processed & junk food, stodge, and all the rest of it
Changed to olive oil, fish, veg & salads including peas, beans, lentils - veg stew, chick peas salad etc

Statins were only prescribed as a precautionary measure; my levels were high, but just within acceptable limits
So I concentrated on my diet as described, and it has come down

this also meant a reduction in salt intake; now I only add a sprinkling to eggs & tomatoes for the taste
Booze was my weakness, but i've stopped most of that. I have a can or a glass of red wine now & again
I haven't missed pubs during the Lockdown

Some people are able to just make this sort of change and never look back, but it took me months, if not years to change the way I was shopping & eating, bit by bit
I have to be careful all the time

For the past few months I've been working on cutting down my carb intake as low as possible - there are various reports of improving diabetes by losing weight & reducing carbs; see books & YT by Roy Taylor, Michael Moseley and others

Nothing in the body happens in isolation, and things like diabetes, blood pressure, being overweight, cardiovascular problems, cholesterol, are all rolled up together; as you work on one, so the others improve

I feel reasonably healthy, & bright enough
The only problem is that I find it very difficult to lose weight - my goal is to lose at lest 5kg by the autumn... but i've said that before

Oh yes, DOOD, I used to love pate till i realised it was just pink fat. Likewise I've stopped eating a lot of cheese and just have a few slivers, as a flavouring

Sorry this has rambled a bit; i hope you find it useful or interesting
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK

27-07-2020, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
i hope you find it useful or interesting
It is

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top