Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2020, 09:36 PM

Re: Post Pandemic Holidays

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
We had to go up to Nottinghamshire yesterday so I wanted to see the Peak District - I have never been .

What a mistake ! There were hundreds of people up there the Peaks were crawling with them ....

We turned about and came home .

Just read the news says that Notts may be shut down as there is a CV spike there .

Great
The peak district is beautiful Muddy, I've spent the best part of my life running and walking the hills, rocky ridges, moors, valley's and riverbanks of the dark peak, but with Manchester at one side and Sheffield and Rotherham at the other it is well over subscribed to.
Unless you can walk far enough from the roads to be out of range of the average daytripper/townie there's nothing to see but crowds and nowhere to park...
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2020, 10:07 PM

It's interesting about the crowds there. I live in a tourist community and we have record numbers of visitors.

If consumerism is driving the economy, we should be booming.

I wanna go to the Peak District too (well, not right now).
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Bruce, I am surprised by the actual border closings. We have stop points in different states here, but the closures would be impossible to enforce and I am sure the citizenry would go into meltdown.
The Constitution was written to protect state's rights. Here the State government is possibly more important than the federal government in how it affects everyday life.

Speaking very broadly, people are more attached to their state, for example the most important sporting event on the east coast is the State of Origin footie between NSW and Queensland.

Also state borders are relativity easy to protect for example WA has effectively two roads in or out, NT has three.

NSW/Victoria was a problem with lots of crossings but it is sealed now by use of the police and military. Only freight crosses the borders though there are permits for people who live in border communities who cross to work or for medical reasons etc.

There was an interesting discussion this morning on the radio about the International borders being closed. Currently no Australian resident can leave the country except with a permit (work/family death etc). Australia is the only country to enforce this on a permanent basis according to the radio.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 07:51 AM

Hi

This is not the time for significant International Travel, far too many If, buts and maybes.

Guy refers to Taiwan as home, no chence of getting back at the present time,

I am very fortunate in still having my round the world ticket, extended because of Covid.

It is simply not possible to use it as I intendd because of the current restrictions.

Time to holiday local and plan for the future.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
The Constitution was written to protect state's rights. Here the State government is possibly more important than the federal government in how it affects everyday life.

Speaking very broadly, people are more attached to their state, for example the most important sporting event on the east coast is the State of Origin footie between NSW and Queensland.

Also state borders are relativity easy to protect for example WA has effectively two roads in or out, NT has three.

NSW/Victoria was a problem with lots of crossings but it is sealed now by use of the police and military. Only freight crosses the borders though there are permits for people who live in border communities who cross to work or for medical reasons etc.

There was an interesting discussion this morning on the radio about the International borders being closed. Currently no Australian resident can leave the country except with a permit (work/family death etc). Australia is the only country to enforce this on a permanent basis according to the radio.
Exactly a point I made elsewhere on the forum when a comparison between the infection rates of Australia compared to the UK was made. Much easier to isolate states and stop a rapid spread of the virus.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Exactly a point I made elsewhere on the forum when a comparison between the infection rates of Australia compared to the UK was made. Much easier to isolate states and stop a rapid spread of the virus.
It would have been a good point if it were not for the fact that 40% of the population lives in two cities and over 50% in five cities
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 11:07 AM

hopefully our delayed river cruise will be up and running next year
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
hopefully our delayed river cruise will be up and running next year
I hope so too. Sorry if I missed it but where are you heading?

As for the ease of quarantining. It's a free-for-all here. Might as well be handing out the virus in buckets and a putting a paintbrush in everyone's hands.

I'll be the last on on OFF (understandably) allowed to travel internationally.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top