Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2020, 05:36 PM

Driver Licence Renewal At 70

Has anyone else's licence come up for renewal during this Covid crisis, at age 70 or not?

I'm looking online and getting a little confused.
It looks like the government has done an automatic extension (like they did with MOTs) .... which will last for 11 months so it's still legal to drive .. but in other places it makes it sound like it's business as usual if it's an age 70 renewal and you still have to apply.

Gee .. I wish I was brighter.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2020, 05:42 PM

Re: Driver Licence Renewal At 70

Hope this will help Morti....

https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence-at-70
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2020, 07:18 PM

Thanks Mags .... I gather from that that the extension applies.
I hope so anyway as that's what I'm going to tell Mr M.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2020, 07:20 PM

What I can't see is the restrictions they put on if over 70. Such as having to take a driving test if the vehicle carries 15 or more people eye tests/renewal every 3 years or at least i have to. must be more but can't think of them at the moment

OAP's are the safest drivers on the road, they should limit those teens/twenty year old that just past their test and think they are on a race track

Also hit hard those driving on drink or drugs with a minimum 10 year driving ban.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2020, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Thanks Mags .... I gather from that that the extension applies.
I hope so anyway as that's what I'm going to tell Mr M.
Yes, that's how I read it too, Morti
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2020, 07:38 PM

Because I'm diabetic, I have to reapply for my licence every three (I think) years and submit quite a lengthy declaration.
They also ask for information from my GP, of course.
I have just submitted my forms, but suspect that there will not be a problem as nothing has changed since the last time. However, should they become rather more stringent, it won't be too much of a problem anyway as Marge likes to do most of the driving: she thinks I drive too fast.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2020, 10:08 PM

Don't talk to me about renewing my driving licence at seventy Morty.....

They sent me a new licence but neglected to include all the groups that I was qualified to drive - I didn't realise that you lose the right to drive to drive mini buses, lorries and track laying vehicles over twenty tons (well you never know when you might need one!) when you turn seventy. The covering letter said that if there were any groups missing, to send the licence back.

So I sent it back with a strongly worded letter....And my old outgoing licence.
Several weeks later I received a letter back as thick as the Argos catalogue. It was full of forms to fill in for my GP, Optician, social worker and parole officer!....

I wrote back and said it didn't matter about the other groups, just send my new licence back.....And then nothing.......I tried calling them and was put on hold for three days....I hate the music! And they never did answer even after Mrs fox took over.

Then out of the blue I get a call from the charming Beverley at the DVLA inquiring about my driving licence....I told her the story and she said it was a different department and she wasn't aware what they had done with my new licence. She said that if I hadn't received it in one months time to call her back.

Well one month is up tomorrow, she gave me her number and said she only works Thursdays and Fridays......So I live in hope..... "Go ahead Bev, make my day"....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2020, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Several weeks later I received a letter back as thick as the Argos catalogue. It was full of forms to fill in for my GP, Optician, social worker and parole officer!....
Good heavens! You have a social worker and a parole officer?
What have you been up to?
And at your age too!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2020, 05:20 AM

At 75 I have to get a medical certificate each year to say I am medically OK to drive

When I turn 80 I will have to decide if i want to keep my truck licence because if I do I will have to take an annual test..

Once I get to 85 if I want to keep an unrestricted licence I will have to take a practical test each year too.

This is NSW so might be different in other states. Bummer!

Am I to presume that my Uk licence expired a few years ago when I turned 70?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2020, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Good heavens! You have a social worker and a parole officer?
What have you been up to?
And at your age too!
I might have embellished the facts a little bit JB.....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top