Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2020, 09:39 PM

Re: Walking Shoes

Thanks for all the replies.

I was told that plantar fasciitis frequently occurs after an injury - I broke my patella some years ago.

Curious about the statins - I do take them - I'll be making enquiries about this.

As for sketchers - I agree about them not having much support but at the moment it's either wear the sketchers or not walk at all!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2020, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Thanks for all the replies.

I was told that plantar fasciitis frequently occurs after an injury - I broke my patella some years ago.

Curious about the statins - I do take them - I'll be making enquiries about this.

As for sketchers - I agree about them not having much support but at the moment it's either wear the sketchers or not walk at all!
Don't buy Besoekers boots Lindy.....My feet hurt just looking at them.... They look like something out of the fifties....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2020, 10:03 PM

I seem to remember that Scarpas were quite narrow. I have some Trezetas which have been super comfortable for so many hikes up mountains. The have really good arch and ankle support and are not narrow in fit. I've had similar problems to you, plus achilles tendon injuries ankle sprains, and have needed support and a good fit. The Trezetas were fabulous. Hard to get hold of new ones these days as I wanted a replacement after so many years.

I chose them after getting the achilles tendon problem after using the wrong boots. I went to a walking shop for a proper fitting and they had one of those little hill models that you walk up and down to test. Mine look like this :

AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2020, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
My daughter suffered with plantar Lindy, and recently found out it was nothing to do with her feet, liver I think...
I know! It surprised me too. Might be worth a look....
Thems good shoes Muddy, I've been wearing Merrell shoes and now I won't walk in anything else....Gore tex, so no wet feet.
Incidentally, the bloke that invented gore tex died yesterday...
I've read that it can be linked to problems with the pancreas. I think it was chronic pancreatitis. But that is rare. ('ve had a lot of foot problems so I have researched a bit!)

Merrell's were also slim fitting I recall. I have some Brashers which were as a backup but they are slippery and require waterproofing maintenance. They are ok for a hike but just ok. Goretex lining and a Vibram sole is an ideal combo. Plus for ankle support a high top.

The other ones people raved over back in the day were Meindl's. But again they have a narrow fit. Some people must have pixie feet.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2020, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I've read that it can be linked to problems with the pancreas. I think it was chronic pancreatitis. But that is rare. ('ve had a lot of foot problems so I have researched a bit!)

Merrell's were also slim fitting I recall. I have some Brashers which were as a backup but they are slippery and require waterproofing maintenance. They are ok for a hike but just ok. Goretex lining and a Vibram sole is an ideal combo. Plus for ankle support a high top.

The other ones people raved over back in the day were Meindl's. But again they have a narrow fit. Some people must have pixie feet.
There is a school of thought that suggests that by not wearing ankle support in walking shoes will develop the lateral muscles each side of the lower leg Annie. The effect of support would be to allow the muscles to deteriorate...

In fact, Adidas have developed a shoe with very little control and support. They reckon that the human leg and foot are very well equipped to handle everything that the rough terrain can throw at them and needs very little modification.
Some of the best fell runners I know use a minimum of support in their running shoes.

The only exception to this is; Running constantly on hard surfaces requires good shock absorbing midsoles. It's a theory that I have always subscribed to, and after forty years I'm still running....
David P
South Oxfordshire
David P is male  David P has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2020, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Can anyone recommend extra-wide fitting walking shoes? I have plantar fasclitis and neuromas which I think is exacerbated by the width of my shoes. At the moment, I'm walking in an old pair of sketchers - with my inserts and additional padding, but they don't give the support I need and certainly won't be waterproof.

I'm not planning on spending too much as I can't tell if I'll have foot issues just by trying the shoes on in the shop and I have a house-full of shoes I can no longer wear.
I buy my shoes from Deichmann. Called Landrover. Not the Memphis model. Very comfortable and fit my wide feet. Cost about £25.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2020, 10:52 PM

My daughter suffered with plantar Lindy, and recently found out it was nothing to do with her feet, liver I think...
I know! It surprised me too. Might be worth a look....
Thems good shoes Muddy, I've been wearing Merrell shoes and now I won't walk in anything else....Gore tex, so no wet feet.
Incidentally, the bloke that invented gore tex died yesterday...

These look good OGF . I need to buy some new walking boots .Mine have gore tex too but one pair ( the most worn) seemed to have lost their waterproof ness now.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2020, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
My wife and I both have these. Have done so for about years. Expensive but worth it.

They look good too .Do they have a wide toe box ?
Plus are they waterproof and lastly are they heavy ?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

26-09-2020, 12:42 AM

There is a school of thought that suggests that by not wearing ankle support in walking shoes will develop the lateral muscles each side of the lower leg Annie. The effect of support would be to allow the muscles to deteriorate...

In fact, Adidas have developed a shoe with very little control and support. They reckon that the human leg and foot are very well equipped to handle everything that the rough terrain can throw at them and needs very little modification.
Some of the best fell runners I know use a minimum of support in their running shoes.

The only exception to this is; Running constantly on hard surfaces requires good shock absorbing midsoles. It's a theory that I have always subscribed to, and after forty years I'm still running....
That works fine OGF if you have no injuries or weaknesses in that part of the foot. It depends entirely on what you expect the foot to do over and over. I'd agree that for running you need a different type of shoe. I also went for a special fitting when I used to do long distance running. You ran on some glass camera thingy and they took an image of your pronation. Then they find the right trainer. I think I ended up with some Asics.

But for long distance walking/hiking you definitely need ankle support if you have a historic foot injury. Particularly if you want to go up/down hill. After my injury I had to use a night splint to keep running. Once you have an achilles injury you are never really the same. But the Asics were more to stop damaging my knees. Hiking on different terrain and running on flat ground are very different activities.

What is very interesting is that walking barefoot is actually not that good for your feet! You'd think they were designed for it, but we are a pretty poor design when you start to think about it.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

26-09-2020, 02:28 PM

Inspired by this thread I thought I would buy myself a new pair of boots .

Went to Cotswold outdoor .

They measure your feet and give good advice .

Unfortunately the world and his wife and kids have taken up walking in lockdown and they had practically no stock .

The assistants said they are doing roaring trade and he could sell three times as much as he has .

None of the boots I wanted were in stock in my size .

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top