Join for free
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2020, 10:47 AM

Re: Manual (stick shift)or Automatic transmission

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I too have had autos for decades and wouldn't know how to drive a manual. Tried several at a car show at London Excel some years ago, an MX5 and RS8 (the Mazda challenge). Of course I stalled near the finish line with cars coming up to my arse and the instructor shouting at me to get going!!

I reckon it'll be the first and last time I'll get to be in the driving seat of the MX5, a car I'd love to own.
That sounds like a very stressful experience! I think if you learn manual before automatic, you never forget.
Perhaps, take lessons in a less stressful situation!
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2020, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Went automatic (with hand controls) so Mrs mart could keep driving. I'd always prefer to drive an automatic now.
As we get older, automatic transmission is much easier.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2020, 10:52 AM

I've driven automatics for years, I could never see the point of changing gears if you don't have to and your workload in traffic is reduced dramatically, giving much more time to concentrate on where you are going...
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

10-10-2020, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I've driven automatics for years, I could never see the point of changing gears if you don't have to and your workload in traffic is reduced dramatically, giving much more time to concentrate on where you are going...
I agree that automatic is way easier in traffic. I’m glad I learned how to drive both transmission though.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2020, 10:57 AM

I live in rural devon,driving is a challenge,gear shifts and all.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2020, 11:08 AM

I have driven manuals since I passed my test back in 1980, as has mrs p, I have driven an auto though, many years ago, and I would happily switch to an auto now, but Mrs,p will have none of it, though, if we switch to an EV, then they are all autos, of a sort, so we’d have to adapt.....

I hope all you auto drivers practice left foot braking....

( don’s tin hat and retreats to shelter) ..
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

10-10-2020, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
I live in rural devon,driving is a challenge,gear shifts and all.
How does a horse and cart sound like to you then? Or is it no longer permitted in your district?
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

10-10-2020, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
I have driven manuals since I passed my test back in 1980, as has mrs p, I have driven an auto though, many years ago, and I would happily switch to an auto now, but Mrs,p will have none of it, though, if we switch to an EV, then they are all autos, of a sort, so we’d have to adapt.....

I hope all you auto drivers practice left foot braking....

( don’s tin hat and retreats to shelter) ..
Live a little - make the switch!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2020, 11:18 AM

I have driven many cars both manual and auto , each has its plus and minus sides
Auto = saves worrying about which gear to use so easier to drive, heavier on fuel and changing down a gear can be a bind if wanting to stay in first for example

Manual = Better control of gears so one can slow down a car by just correct gear solection also more economical on fuel.

It all depends on where your driving in town or motorways.
Try driving an auto on a slippery grass slope with an auto

I am just as happy using either manual or auto , more important is what you are driving
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2020, 11:24 AM

FWIW, I have driven both, mostly larger models. A couple of points for manual models. These days, mine were six-speed. This means significantly improved economy. Especially on longer stints. And, as a manual, I often shifted without the gear pedal. Just got used to seamless shifts.

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top