Join for free
Page 36 of 42 « First < 26 34 35 36 37 38 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2021, 10:08 PM

Re: Foxy's Latest Project.

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Storage becomes a problem when you only live in a two bedroom bungalow, and the obvious place is in the loft. But apart from my workshop being up there, and I need to stop it getting congested, I also have to be careful about placing weight on the ceilings. So I began construction of a heavy shelf, where heavy items can be stored and they will be out of the way.

The inside wall on the gable end will make a perfect place to site the shelf so work following the planning stage, I set to work on the frame which will be totally supported by the wall.
I decided to use my chop saw to cut fifteen lats that will provide the base of my shelf.

First thing to do is to make a stop for the chop saw so I can make all the pieces the same size without having to measure and mark out each one. It worked perfectly and took no time at all to cut all fifteen. Here are photos of the chop saw with the stop attached.....

I too live in a two-bedroom bungalow, but in my case the loft is crammed full of... er, rubbish.

Consequently, I don't have any space to do any such work!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2021, 11:20 AM

I know, It's such a pain where to put it all JB, and the older I get the more the stuff accumulates, and it usually finds its way up into my workshop in the loft, en route to a corner somewhere out of the way, hence the new shelf.....
It's finished now and the job of sorting out the things we are unlikely to need in the next ten years will be transferred there.
Here's the finished Job.....

I had some spare LED spotlights on another shelf gathering dust, so before I started building the new shelf I knocked together a light bank that can be used anywhere for that bit of extra illumination....

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2021, 01:03 PM

I can see that you take a pride in making things well, OGF.
Impressive.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2021, 01:59 PM

Yes I'm impressed too! That light bank is very innovative!
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2021, 07:52 PM

Throw mama from the train!!!!
Why you sly old grey fox you!
So talented! Lovely workmanship and brilliant idea
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2021, 08:10 PM

Thanks for the compliments guys, you make me feel quite Tut...Humble......It's nice to be appreciated by some great friends.....
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2021, 03:37 PM

Good work OGF.

Even if i did wonder why that speaker had lights in it?

Only teasing & I sympathise regarding storage in a bungalow since that's where I am too, so I can appreciate your needs.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

08-04-2021, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Good work OGF.

Even if i did wonder why that speaker had lights in it?

Only teasing & I sympathise regarding storage in a bungalow since that's where I am too, so I can appreciate your needs.
Thanks Zaphod, I appreciate your nice comment....

It's funny you should say that about the light bank, it's just what I thought when it was finished....Watch this space there might be some speakers built in a similar way.....

This is the shelf after stacking some of the lesser used boxes and items, but I might re arrange it later on. It has cleared up plenty of space...

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0943.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	15262  
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2021, 09:15 AM

The construction of your attic with the long strong beam supporting the roof looks identical to how ours was before we had the loft conversion.

One of the first jobs I did when I bought this place was to enlarge the loft opening and install a pull down ladder, then floored the main centre section.

I used it for storage of all sorts of things, including two dismantled motorbikes!
I sometimes used it as a satellite workshop as well if I was doing major home surgery in an upstairs room as it was nearer than going all the way back down to the garage.

Now we have two small storage areas either side of the bedroom we installed after the loft conversion, but by then I had already built a decent sized workshop attached to the back of the garage.

Keep up the good work chap. I'm always interested in what goes on inside another person's workshop, and yours never fails to delight.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

10-04-2021, 11:02 AM

Thanks Fruitcake, it's nice to find a kindred spirit here on the forum... We do sound very much alike....
When we first moved into this new bungalow over forty years ago I couldn't afford to have a garage. Some of my early motors were bangers, being a skint mechanical engineer I did all of the maintenance myself. One such vehicle was an Austin mini that required a rebore and new rings.

It was winter and so cold, so I removed the engine and split it down in the yard. I had it rebored and built a strong floor in the loft so I could take it up there piece by piece and assemble it in somewhat more favourable conditions.

Using my lathe and lunch times at work, I made a strong winch and pulleys to lift the completed engine down when it was complete.
Washing machine motors seemed to be built more substantially in those days and the half horsepower electric motor provided just the power unit I needed to power the winch. (electrics were the easy part )

It was a great success and the engine worked perfectly and so did the winch. Fortunately we had a very large loft hole due to the size of the cold water header tank, so the engine squeezed through beautifully. Mrs Fox and me manhandled (and womanhandled) the engine back into the yard, but it took several beefy mates to put it back into the car....

So that's where it all started, I added bits on, and using the lift (winch) used to heave telly's and other heavy items into the workshop. The lift is still in use today, and although it has easily lifted people up into the workshop, due to safety requirements, it only lifts inanimate objects up there now. It's not possible to put a loft ladder for access because you need at least one hand on the rail, and because I'm constantly zooming up and down with tools in my hands it wouldn't be practical, so a stepladder works great and it prevents Mrs Fox from straying into my workshop.....

Page 36 of 42 « First < 26 34 35 36 37 38 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top