Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 10:46 AM

Re: Easy walks

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
The biggest impact on me Pix of the pandemic is, I no longer have the Country Park to myself, and being forced to be sort of sociable with folks who can't be arsed to be sociable anyway.
Sort of sociable? What is it with you guys, honestly. Mr P gives a short nod and moves on. I smile and say "Hello, its a lovely day isn't it" because we are all of a like mind and outside enjoying the walk. No cursory nods with me.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 11:45 AM

Unexpected hazards:

Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Sort of sociable? What is it with you guys, honestly. Mr P gives a short nod and moves on. I smile and say "Hello, its a lovely day isn't it" because we are all of a like mind and outside enjoying the walk. No cursory nods with me.
I'm with you on that. Now and again some ignore us -sometimes they just have headphones and sometimes they are just rude.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 12:02 PM

What a brilliant and interesting thread, thanks for sharing it Zuludog, Stand by for 'Incoming!'
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 01:06 PM

I usually like to get off on my own and either visit some old faithful walks where I know how far it is, and where all the cafe's are... Or plan out something new. Although I'm not antisocial, I think you miss a lot of interesting stuff on a walk if you are in talkative company. Mrs Fox likes to chatter away incessantly, usually inquiring how far it is to the end of the walk, and will we pass any shops....
When walking locally she will always stop for a natter with someone she recognises, so it's a polite nod from me, and off I go....

Like everyone else, last year was a washout with just local walks within five miles of home. Although we live on the edge of the country, there are only so many routes in and out of the village, and sometimes the lane is off limits due to the thigh deep mud churned up by the tractors preparing fields for the spring crops. I'll have to have a word with the farmer and see if he can find an alternative route..... Perhaps not!

Like Surfermom, I'm getting a bit finicky about walking or running on muddy surfaces and have chosen tarmaced paths or cycle tracks during the winter to avoid the mud, but since lockdown they are very well subscribed to, so early mornings tend to be more pedestrian free, and it's my favourite time of day anyway.

Reading about walking helps to pass the time during lockdown, and a very interesting book written by 'The Map Man' who suggests buying an Ordinance survey map of your local area and systematically walking all of the footpaths marked on the map. He reckons that he has learned a lot about his local area, and discovered rights of way he never knew existed. But being a postman opens one's eyes to the secret paths and ginnels of an area......
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 02:17 PM

Spitfire, that is a mighty fine dog you have there! I understand your frustration it. For reasons beyond logic, they closed down all the parks except one in my neck of the woods, forcing everyone to run, walk, and cycle in previously unseen concentrations.

That was a most frustrating encounter, but I will say that such an interesting and lovely spot must offset the less than brilliant folks likewise using the trail. Life will be better when we can reassume our own exercise patterns.

I hope you don't let people keep your dogs have such a spectacular time!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 02:23 PM

Nice photos, Omah. I would walk the entire country as pretty as yours is!

I must confess that as much as I will go out of the way to help people and be friendly, running is one of the times that I really don't want to interact with people. It's not rudeness, it's just an extraordinarily rare time that I don't have to meet the needs of others, and an opportunity to get lost in my thoughts. Now, I will give you a wave if someone initiates a hello or nod, but otherwise, I am hidden behind my running sunglasses, and trying not to enjoy your bubble of peace either. I've never considered running or walking trails a social activity, but rather a rejuvenating one.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Nice photos, Omah. I would walk the entire country as pretty as yours is!
Since I was mapping the routes, I took more photos of "obstacles" than views, e.g.:

A Tight Fit:

A bit of a Climb:

Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

17-03-2021, 03:43 PM

Just gorgeous!

Remind me to pack my hiking boots and backpack when I come for a visit .
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

17-03-2021, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Since I was mapping the routes, I took more photos of "obstacles" than views, e.g.:

A Tight Fit:

A bit of a Climb:

Perfect Omah, I wish I was there right now....

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top