Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 08:39 PM

Re: New law regarding headlight bulbs

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Well our vehicles are safe, we don't have any of the too bright bulbs.
Our car's OK as well.
Ours don't work!
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2021, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Shove a potato up the exhaust pipe!
Been there, done that. Oh I was wicked, but serves them right.
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2021, 11:34 AM

Best news I've heard for a long time, they are dangerous, don't know why it's been allowed for so long..
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2021, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by paula ->
Best news I've heard for a long time, they are dangerous, don't know why it's been allowed for so long..
It's puzzled me for a while too.
I've seen cops pull up boy racers for windows being tinted too dark; dodgy number plate; indicators too dark; & a few other things but dazzlingly-bright lights are IMHO far more dangerous, so as far as I'm concerned it is a great move.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2021, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
It's puzzled me for a while too.
I've seen cops pull up boy racers for windows being tinted too dark; dodgy number plate; indicators too dark; & a few other things but dazzlingly-bright lights are IMHO far more dangerous, so as far as I'm concerned it is a great move.

While I agree with the above, it doesn't seem to mean that we will have no more blue headlights, does it?

Is it just the tweaked, extra bright ones they might stop, or have I misunderstood?
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2021, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
While I agree with the above, it doesn't seem to mean that we will have no more blue headlights, does it?

Is it just the tweaked, extra bright ones they might stop, or have I misunderstood?
As I understand it and from reading what MOT testers must now test, unless those blue headlights are as originally fitted to a car the car should fail an MOT.

I do know that even before this you could buy blue-tinted headlight bulbs as well as the LED ones of differing hues (high Kelvins to be technical) making the light seem blue.
The blue standard bulbs then were not legally allowed for use on British roads, they were intended for off-road use only.

The trouble is that idiots can, of course, swap bulbs just for MOT purposes and then put whatever bulb they want to in their vehicle for the rest of the year, hoping that they don't get pulled up on it by an enthusiastic policeman.

So maybe not "no more" blue bulbs, but certainly less of them.
Hopefully lots less.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2021, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
As I understand it and from reading what MOT testers must now test, unless those blue headlights are as originally fitted to a car the car should fail an MOT.

I do know that even before this you could buy blue-tinted headlight bulbs as well as the LED ones of differing hues (high Kelvins to be technical) making the light seem blue.
The blue standard bulbs then were not legally allowed for use on British roads, they were intended for off-road use only.

The trouble is that idiots can, of course, swap bulbs just for MOT purposes and then put whatever bulb they want to in their vehicle for the rest of the year, hoping that they don't get pulled up on it by an enthusiastic policeman.

So maybe not "no more" blue bulbs, but certainly less of them.
Hopefully lots less.

Oh blimey, I never thought of people doing that!
Crafty beggars.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2021, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
Hallelujah I bloody hate them dazzling blue/white lights approaching, or in my rear view mirrors.

God knows how they ever got allowed in the first place.
Another reason why more coppers are require
I hope they start hitting on the exhaust sound levels that are way to high these days.

Be nice to get some British Standard Level's back wouldn't it.
Some of the cars that go past my house are ridiculously loud. Sometimes, it's in the early hours, I'm sure they do it on purpose, to wake people up. If only I had a cannon.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2021, 04:25 PM

My pet hate is when cars are parked facing on-coming traffic with their headlights switched on. They blind you as the beams are directed towards the centre of the road. It used to be a criminal offence to display anything above 15Watts when stationary - probably still is, but it's not enforced and drivers don't take any notice. Bstds.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2021, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
My pet hate is when cars are parked facing on-coming traffic with their headlights switched on. They blind you as the beams are directed towards the centre of the road. It used to be a criminal offence to display anything above 15Watts when stationary - probably still is, but it's not enforced and drivers don't take any notice. Bstds.
I always reward them with 'Full beam' when that happens. as you say, it used to be against the highway code but is commonplace now, along with undertaking and using the horn after 11pm.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top