Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2021, 12:22 PM

Tree Cutting

Finally got round to it, purchased a chainsaw a year or so ago but could not get round to doing it, but the skip I got before Christmas (which I broke my thumb on) is going to be uplifted this week so had no choice. They were privity type trees with one inch thorns on which brambles used as a support to climb over the back fence, the trunks were about 8" diameter but the saw made light work of them. Don't think I will have any use for the saw again unless we move house.

Threw some 3X2 slabs on to compress the branches

xirrpy
Devon-all of it
xirrpy is male  xirrpy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2021, 12:27 PM

Re: Tree Cutting

I once left a skip for a few months and the firm tried to charge me rent per week when I finally called them in.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2021, 12:34 PM

The reason I have had this one since December is because I broke my thumb on it and could do what I needed to. I took this photo two weeks after the dressing was removed.

Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2021, 08:44 PM

That looked very painful Spitfire.

My Son bought a chainsaw recently, with all the gear he needed too.
A friend had left me a whole dead tree & he put it down the bottom of the garden for me, didn't realise he hadn't cut it up as I was going to pile the logs for the wildlife to live in. Son said, "I'll do it". "Great said I". Heard the chain saw & thought he's doing a good job. Looked out of the window & Son had thrown all the tree bits into the hedge. The idiot!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

02-02-2021, 12:02 AM

it was Tiff, ouch, nearly lost a knuckle, treated the end of the Garden like a shit tip, putting that right now, probably displaced some rodents in the process but heigh-ho.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2021, 08:53 AM

I could do with a chainsaw, lots of trees to trim - but - they scare me witless so I have never bought one!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2021, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I could do with a chainsaw, lots of trees to trim - but - they scare me witless so I have never bought one!
Not for the fainthearted Tabby, and definitely not for the untrained or inexperienced!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2021, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Not for the fainthearted Tabby, and definitely not for the untrained or inexperienced!
I agree. My dad always said that the most important thing to know about D.I.Y. was when to leave it to the experts!
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2021, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Same here so a couple of years ago now I bought an electric reciprocating saw instead, with some long (12 inch IIRC) blades.
That combo managed to cut down quite a big flowering cherry tree (with a dangerous lean, hence the cutting-down) as well as some big neglected Leylandii.
In fact it was so good that I then cut all the branches and trunk - even the thickest bits - into easily-disposable log-sized bits with it.

Screwfix do a cheapie for £35 that gets good reviews & the long blades can be found for well under £15 for a pack of 5 delivered.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

02-02-2021, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Same here so a couple of years ago now I bought an electric reciprocating saw instead, with some long (12 inch IIRC) blades.
That combo managed to cut down quite a big flowering cherry tree (with a dangerous lean, hence the cutting-down) as well as some big neglected Leylandii.
In fact it was so good that I then cut all the branches and trunk - even the thickest bits - into easily-disposable log-sized bits with it.

Screwfix do a cheapie for £35 that gets good reviews & the long blades can be found for well under £15 for a pack of 5 delivered.

Thanks - will go and look!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top